Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Database suggestions ???

Options
  • 16-10-2003 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Well me and team of 4 are doing a magazine subscription systems ( not our choice :( )

I’m in 3rd year diploma the projects in java and all oo analysis and design etc must be done

but anyway the database where thinking of using micro$oft sql server as the database but the project is a standalone application so is it the wrong choice. I really know fub all about databases bar ms access 2000 with vb (don’t really want to use it as I’m told nobody uses it).

So any suggestion on what database to use would be cool?
    Something that would be used in industry preferable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

Originally posted by HaVoC
    ms access 2000 with vb (don’t really want to use it as I’m told nobody uses it).
    Don't know where you heard that, it's a cheap database which is why so many businesses DO use it. For a standalone app, both MS SQL Server and Access will work although SQL Server is a bit of overkill. If you're programming for windows then use access, keep things simple for yourself, especially if you already know how to use it. Or try MySQL. I think it's free to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

well thats what i mean access is only used in fairly small applications where as the other mention are scalable and i want to learn new things anyway expand my skills :ninja:

might be expanding the project later to a network based system if we have time

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I know where you're coming from. I'd much prefer to be working on large scale databases with nice C++ or C# frontends and spend months developing them but it all comes down to money and if the client has access and wants access then we develop in access.:mad:

But back to the topic, If you want experience working with a larger database then use SQL Server or Oracle. I guess that will depend on what's available in the college. Haven't used Oracle that much but once you have the db set up I'm sure there wouldn't be too much of a difference between the two from the point of view of your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

You could also try firebird firebird.sourceforge.net. Firebird is basically the open source version of Interbase which is a Borland product. Haven't actually used the open-source version (although I have used releases prior to the open-sourcing and they've been pretty solid). The thing about it is that it is so easy to install and requires little (if any) administration - even I can do it :D. It might not be quite up there with Oracle and the like, but you won't spend 3 days tuning it :)

There is also a pure Java JCA-JDBC client, whatever that means - never programmed in Java.

Check out the link anyway, might be an option for you, definitely avoid Access anyway if you can - it's locking mechanisms are screwy.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Mick L
    Don't know where you heard that, it's a cheap database which is why so many businesses DO use it.
    MSDE - the Microsoft Data Engine - is the "desktop" edition of MSSQL Server, and it is also free. It is, in my opinion, infinitely preferable to MS Access for anything. Only thing is it doesn't come with design-tools like SQL Server does, so you need either something like Visual Studio, or MS Access, or the tools from SQL Server to work with it.

Other options would include any of the countless free/open database platforms out there. No doubt Typedef will come in with a tirade against supporting MS and will extoll the virtues of the various open/free systems far better than I could, so I won't embarrass myself. All I'll do is mention the two names I tend to hear most : Postgres and MySql.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

MSDE 2000

Home page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/default.asp

For information on obtaining MSDE 2000:
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/default.asp

OSQL

The osql utility is a Microsoft® Win32® command prompt utility for ad hoc, interactive execution of Transact-SQL statements and scripts. This utility uses ODBC to communicate with the server. By default, osql.exe is located in the directory: “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\”

Using OSQL requires that you actually know what you’re doing… so to download the full help on MSDE (and MS SQL Server 2000): http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/books.asp

Advertisement