Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 3 10/10 on Eurogamer

• 16-10-2003 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Another 10/10 and with every mag and website saying how crappy games are, how come more 10/10 nowadays than before?

(i use eurogamer as ref ,Edge is the same)

PES 3 (and Driver 3)are the reasons i be investing in a PS2 soon.
    Sad i had to wait this long before 2 games i really really wanted came out. (oh and ICO but that out)

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

review scores are subjective...

Im a big football fan and I cant say I agree with that 10/10 to be honest, but thats just me :)

Its a good game, dont get me wrong, but its far from perfect. In my eyes 10/10 should be reserved for perfection. We have been playing PES3 in the office for about a week now and have enountered a bunch of technical and indeed annoying problems/issues.

Again, just a personal choice and there is no point in fighting over if its 9/10 or 10/10 :)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

My big question is, will it be worth getting if you already have Pro Ev 2?
    I'm going to hold out for a while on buying it anyway. Maybe rent it first to see is it worth shelling out €50 on it.

I know people here in the office who love it and some who hate it..

renting first may be smart if your not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ordered it from cdwow.ie, its shipping now so shud have it 2moro or early next week.(only €45)

Anyway.

I`m also ordering x-port which will allow me to update the option file to include proper names, teams etc.

ITs a must apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think reviewers use rating systems to save them the hassle of writing a proper review.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Good Review here, proper in depth from people who heart the game:

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/games.proevolutionsoccer3.review.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

imo the comentary doesn't really matter to be either does the fact that it doesn't have all the teams like fifa 200x

but the main winning fact of PES3 is that it plays better than ANY soccer game out there and i think most ppl would agree

if fifa didn't have all the teams and correct names fifa would be dirt just like david beckham soccer

thats a good review..

the lack of teams is indeed annoying, and the fake players is silly, "North London" all look like Arsenal, and have names not unlike Arsenal - so why not just call them arsenal! Changing the team name is not going to stop them getting sued, as everything else is arsenal bar the name...

Sony and EA have a licence for team names and a range of teams, so why cant Konami? They have some italian teams with the correct names, and that is. The rest are made up names!

Are Barcelona still Catalunya and Real Madrid Navarro?
    Tis annoying alright, and rather stupid, but hardly takes away from the gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I used to be well into all sorts of games - RPG, shoot 'em ups, racing games etc. Now the only game I ever play is the PES series! If they stopped making that game I would sell my PS2 as I would NEVER EVER use it!!! Fingers crossed that my copy of PES3 arrives in the post tomorrow from www.play.com...

For anyone who's planning on getting the game but doesn't mind waiting a few days buy it on www.play.com as it's only £29.99 delivered which is a damn sight better than Game, Gamesworld, HMV etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nggg, right, two things I wouldn't normally respond to but am going to because it's late and I'm more fragile than usual...
    In my eyes 10/10 should be reserved for perfection.

It doesn't matter a monkey's cock whether you think this or not, and I don't quite understand why people seem to think that this is the case. We give a game 10 out of 10, and EVERY SINGLE TIME we point out that under our scoring system this does NOT imply perfection - and EVERY SINGLE TIME some muppet reader pops up and goes "oh well I think it shouldn't be ten out of ten because that means the game is perfect and it isn't perfect". Well, when you're writing the reviews, you can decide how the scoring system works, okay? Sheesh.

(And that's BEFORE we get into the discussion about how it's stupid to have a scoring system that only goes from 1 to 9, since no game is EVER either perfect or completely without merit...)

I think reviewers use rating systems to save them the hassle of writing a proper review.

That's a fucking load of ****e. Every good, professional reviewer I've ever worked with or spoken to - and I admit that there are some rubbish ones out there but there are a lot of people working as games critics who are VERY dedicated and passionate about what they do - would far prefer to drop the review scores entirely. The problem is that then the readers moan, because so many of them want a verdict in a nutshell rather than having to read the full review.

(As to the game itself, I couldn't give an arse because football sucks anyway. But I do get sick of people laying into reviewers every time we say a game is actually top notch. I know just how enthusiastic the lads are about PES3 and just how much they've been playing it in the past few weeks, and months if you count WE7, and it annoys the hell out of me when someone dismisses that with a throwaway comment.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Eh, just what is PES??? Haven't heard of any game that would fit those letters. I'm assuming from the thread though it is some soccer $h1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pro Evolution Soccer sorry should have included link to review :rolleyes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53506

Tis football at its finest.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Tis football at its finest.

As in a really bad simulation of 22 sweaty mean trying to put a gaseous sphere between two posts? Come off it. Most sports games do not transfer to video game, with the exception of driving games.

Well if you don't care for this genre of game don't post.

pardon me for having an opinion that differs from yours and your employers shinji..

for the record, I have no problem being a "muppet reader" - I could not give a **** what "virtual people" think of my points of view! We all have a right to our own point of view, and to give any game any score ourselves, or judge any publication on whatever merits we see fit - its one of the great things about living in a free society

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yep, got it this morning in the post from www.play.com, and wouldn't you know it.........the manual is in French :confused:

Same with you Giles?

I'll post 1st impressions later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I still haven't received my copy of PES3 yet. To say I am slightly peeved would be the understatement of the Millenium! They (allegedly) posted it to me on October 10th and if this is true I find it absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable that I haven't received the game yet... I sent them an email complaining but I just got a reply that looked like an automated response which basically said that they had to wait 14 days before they could do anything! If I'd known this was going to happen I would have just bought the game in a highstreet store. Play are normally so efficient and reliable as well - trust them to f*ck up something like this! I've never waited so long for an order from them to arrive... ARGHHH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Whats the point in having the rating system out of 10 if you cant give a game 10 out of 10. Name 1 perfect game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Rating games out of 5 or 10 isn't a great idea anyway. Rating out of 100 is better and more accurate obviously. The rating system in use on Eurogamer is asking for trouble. 10/10 does imply perfection in most cases (hence the confusion for some people). I’m sure they would not have given the game a 100% rating, 94%-95% would be accurate for PES3.
    I do get sick of people laying into reviewers every time we say a game is actually top notch.
    It comes with the territory. You should have figured that out by now. Do you want us to treat your reviews as gospel or something? People aren't going to agree with everything ye say.

C'est la Vie

Got the game yesterday from cdwow, shipped thurs/fri.

Seems excellent so far, i didnt read the review on eurogamer, as there stuff tends to be ****e(my opinion, free world init)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Praetorian
    . I’m sure they would not have given the game a 100% rating, 94%-95% would be accurate for PES3.

Eh yes Hmm, why not 93 or 94% eh?

You see rating are rubbish. Like how can you give a percentage rating to anything!

"Hmm this games gets 94 and this games gets 96, so the 96 one is obviously better"

BY 2 PERCENT!

Taking into account the many different variables which contribute to reviewing a games, mood of the reviewer, what games he likes, what does HE expect from the genre, it's almost impossible to give an "accurate" rating.

Thats why reading reviews are essential. Not this "Hmm the game is very good and I liked loads of parts of it, but its not as good as my favourite games so 75%"

The stand out part there is "75%"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Rating out of 100 is better and more accurate obviously.

Er, no, not "obviously". Reviews are subjective, and the review score never gives you anything more than a really broad impression of a game's quality. Nitpicking over individual percentage points is the most pointless thing I can imagine doing when writing a review - I've written to percentage based scoring systems before, and I know that most journalists just pick a number out of the air that's in the general ballpark of where they think the game fits.

We'll never go over to a 100% based system. It's a waste of time. Besides, review scores only exist to give you a broad idea as to the quality of the game and encourage you to read the actual text - if I wasn't aware that so many people were so bloody lazy, I'd be all for removing the scores entirely.
    It comes with the territory. You should have figured that out by now. Do you want us to treat your reviews as gospel or something? People aren't going to agree with everything ye say.

Note the difference between "disagreeing with the review" and "laying into the reviewer". Disagree all you like - you'll find the EG comment threads full of dissenting voices, and in general we try to engage those people in a sensible discussion and take their points on board. There's a big difference between "I disagree with what you're saying" and "I think you're unprofessional and know nothing about this genre and didn't play the game for long enough and were probably bribed".
    Taking into account the many different variables which contribute to reviewing a games, mood of the reviewer, what games he likes, what does HE expect from the genre, it's almost impossible to give an "accurate" rating.

In fact, I'd say that it IS impossible. A review is only ever one person's opinion, and a final score or conclusion is only one person's recommendation. Whether you attach any weight to that opinion or recommendation depends entirely on whether you've agreed with previous reviews or whether you found yourself in agreement with the points the reviewer made in his text.

Any magazine or website that pretends that their reviews are somehow more weighty and authoritative than an individual viewpoint needs their ego deflated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I accept that Shinji; In an ideal world everyone would read entire reviews, but in reality I believe most people don't, and then you have people like me, that frequently skip the whole text just to see the score. Surprisingly for me ;), I do it not out of laziness, but from the fear of having yet another game story, twist or plot etc ruined by a careless or amateurish reviewer. This philosophy isn't applicable to all genres obviously.

Removing the scoring altogether wouldn't be a wise move. Also, there wouldn't be any harm moving to a percentage based scoring system. The public would be happier I think, and the reviewer wouldn't exactly be burdened with a whole lot of extra work. Probably about 30 seconds.

I give this thread 95%

Touche :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Shinji
    That's a fucking load of ****e. Every good, professional reviewer I've ever worked with or spoken to - and I admit that there are some rubbish ones out there but there are a lot of people working as games critics who are VERY dedicated and passionate about what they do - would far prefer to drop the review scores entirely. The problem is that then the readers moan, because so many of them want a verdict in a nutshell rather than having to read the full review.

I have noticed a lot of publication doing this lately and I’m thinking about doing it too - allowing and forcing more focus on improving the standard of reviews.

As Shinji has said people who write reviews are critics, it is not news journalism we’re talking about here; it’s opinion. It is all right to give another opinion; this does not make yours any more or less valid the first.

In fact, I think in all journalism it is an essential part of any good publication to allow its readers to comment and give their opinion and in my view Eurogamer are already doing this vie their comments system, forum and readers reviews.

But I don’t think it is fair to rant on about using 10/10 or 9/10, as (again) it’s an opinion and scores are only there to give you an idea of how good the game is.

Advertisement