Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal rights to time off

Options
  • 16-10-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I would like some advice! My wife works for a large retail outlet in Ireland and her job sees her travel alot to the US and the Far East. This, we have no problem with.

The problem arises in such cases as the current one where she is currently in the Far East (left Yesterday) and will not return until the 26th Oct, which is almost 12 days. Her employers do not offer her any days off in lieu of her working almost 2 full weekends! Typically, if she returned on a Sunday, she would not be expected to come into work on the Monday. At least not in the morning. However, as the weekend she returns is the bank holiday weekend, she will have to return to work on the Tuesday.

Is there any workers rights to ensure that she gets some kind of compensation (whether it be payment or days in lieu) for her lost "personal" time... Just to clarify, she does not get paid any extra for the days she is absent.

Cheers,

Voodoo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

she is entitled to Time in Lieu as there is no authorised overtime system

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Where I work I used to go to HAmerica on a regular basis .... if we travel on a weekday, you dont have to turn up until the afternoon of the day after, if you travel at the weekend you get the Monday off (or Tuesday if its a long weekend .... but you have to stand up for yourself on that one, they WILL cave in here anyways) .... managers in some places will try to get you to come in straight away, tell them where to go ... I am unsure of where the law stands on this but I know we had a BIG argument with managment and they gave in, so they must have some obligation with respect to the law, because I dont think the fúckers would have given in otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In Ireland, you are entitled to a minimum of 11 hours off per day and a minimum of one continuous period of 24 hours per week. Your wife's contract should state what procedure is involved when she is required to travel overseas.

If employed overseas (especially in the EU) you are entitled the better of the rights of Ireland or that other country, e.g. a Spanish builder in Ireland must pay his Spanish workers the same rates as his Irish workers as specified in the Construction Industry Employment Agreement (in practice most craftsmen are paid better than the agreement, some builder’s will haggle with labourers on their rates).

A friend who made manager in an accountancy firm last year was told he will get his €55k, no extra pay for overtime or travel time, but within reason can book himself into €300/night hotels (to make up for lack of home comforts). He does get an extra week's leave per year over statutory. I think it's not unreasonable to demand the 24 hour rule after you return from a foreign trip (i.e. after you cross your own threshold).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

She is obviously a valued member of staff as companies do not tend to send any old eejit off on trips.
    firstly she should stay in best hotels- less risk of ill health due to food poisoning or lack of sleep- company quickly see logic in this as they do not want to send someone to far east and then
    they spend all time in bed sick with VD (vomit and diarhea).
    Also when they return- prob need to to give a briefing and get some action started- if not- take to bed to recover.
    Most nb need to get promoted and get next in line doing this travel work. She should use her use knowledge to get boss promoted and then take that position- watch or break glass ceiling.
    Salaried staff need to balance work with salary with bonus with promotion with perks with simply being used as slaves in hope of never to be realised goals.
    Usually travel is great on CV- a nd ur next employer is best at giving u rewards.
    A day off here and there is quickly paid for by a well timed trasfer to a competitor with big pay rise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

The joys of blood sucking American Transnationals means that the company can say they follow Xs law and not our law as they have a company office in X's country which has no labour laws to speck of :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Thanks for the feedback on this guys!

Firstly, she does stay in top class hotels, but this is surely a given considering she is giving up her home life for work!

Secondly, the ability to move up the ladder, although is there, doesnt mean less travel! She travels with a senior person and a director of the company, who go on every trip.

Lastly, this is actually an Irish company so they cant use the lines of abiding by X law...

Anyway, was good to get your views on this!

Ta,

Voodoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I see this problem a lot since myself and many of my colleagues get sent off on business trips a lot.

Technically travelling time is not working time so it is hard to claim for overtime. What a lot of people in my job do is refuse to accept flights that eat into home time. So for example most people will not working a full day on a Friday, insisting on taking a daytime flight. If you have children this is a good arguement, unfortunately its a lot harder if you're single.

I notice from work that there is a kind of culture where you are expected to give over and above where business trips are concerned. However since I've benefited hugely from them I don't consider it a real disadvantage sinced its outweighed by the benefits.

Advertisement