Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM question

• 16-10-2003 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

simple question.

What is the best RAM to get for performance and gaming? Is it reasonable to assume that the more you pay the better the quality?

For instance, I'm looking at getting 512MB 3200. I can get

Corsair TWINX512-3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB Link E201

Corsair Value S. PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB Link E100

Corsair XMS3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB PC3200 Link E170

What is latency and what's meant by unbuffered?

TIA,
    Quarryman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

In general the Corsair more expensive memory is for the overclockers or the performance finatics.

The first ram you listed is prob for a Dual DDR setup which means 2x256mb Dimms. This makes a big difference if you have an Intel 800Mhz FSB system but it makes a tiny tiny difference on an AMD system.

If you have an Intel 800FSB get matched Dimms, ie 2x256mb (512mb) or 2x512mb(1gb) .

If you have an AMD i would get 512mb in one Dimm which means you can add another dimm to make it 1gb and then have the Dual DDR.

The lower the latency the better, it CL2 is better than CL3. Overall MHZ speed makes more of a difference than latency.

What sort of system do you have??

Check out www.Pc Memory Upgrade . Based in kildare and free delivery (ignore the .co.uk thing) . There very fast and reliable and have good products.

[edit] they have a Dual DDR 1gb kit (2x512mb) for €256 , its OCZ which is one of the best names in memory. Geil and mushkin are also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    This makes a big difference if you have an Intel 800Mhz FSB system but it makes a tiny tiny difference on an AMD system.

Not quite - it is in fact AMD and not Intel that pioneered the dual memory bandwith. The nforce1 that I bought 2 years ago (!) had this and the current nforce2 mobo's have this as well. Stick 2*256 (or 2*512 PC3200 ddr in the Abit one with a cheap barton xp2500+, overclock a wee bit and leave a P4 3.2 behind crying :cool:

Oh and this whole setup (mobo, cpu and memory) costs only A THIRD of the P4 CPU ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I recommend here. I got OCZ EL DDR RAM PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum and its good. A bit pricey but is for overclocking. I got it for a 2.8c. if ya have a AMD, do what col_loki said.

Unkel, doenst matter who brought it out first, intel's have a 800MHz FSB on theirs and AMD are at 400MHz.

I'm refering to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I see. So getting 2*256 is actually faster than one stick? But then I'll be using up 2 slots won't I? I may want to upgrade to 1GB down the road so am I not better off getting 1 stick of 512MB? Is the performance gain that great?
    What sort of system do you have??

I'm buying a whole new system with a Shuttle barebones. This allows me up 3200 RAM (I think).
    I'm refering to this

Interesting arcticle. seems like AMD really are losing ground. Naming their processor 3200 instead of 2800 seems a little desperate.

Looking at it now, I might just shell out for the 1G of memory.
    Thanks guys. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hmmm the shuttle you have linked up there only has two slots anyways. Not much room for expansion. What are you going to be doing with this. do ya really need a 1 gig of memory for the tasks that you'll be doing with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Do you need 1Gb of ram in a shuttle?
    I have 4 mem slots on my Abit mobo. I am using 512 (2x256 in Dual mode) but I've tried 1gb and found no performance increase at all in any games/apps I have. Afaik, the only time your PC would take advantage of 1gb ram is if you have multiple instances of photoshop/CAD running simultaneously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have 4 mem slots on my Abit mobo. I am using 512 (2x256 in Dual mode) but I've tried 1gb and found no performance increase at all in any games/apps I have. Afaik, the only time your PC would take advantage of 1gb ram is if you have multiple instances of photoshop/CAD running simultaneously

No performance increase eh? Well I guess my logic is that with only 2 slots (if i was getting the 2*512MB) I am future proofing myself a little better. ie, down the road when I want to get more ram i would have to take out the 2*256 and put in another 2*512. Seems a little wasteful. But then I guess at that stage, I'll prob be getting a whole new system anyways (april 2004 prob :rolleyes: - joke)
    What are you going to be doing with this. do ya really need a 1 gig of memory for the tasks that you'll be doing with it?

Games mostly. All the top-end stuff, HL2, DeusEx2..... No CAD or etc.

I remember when I was getting my Dell that i have now it was like "Wow, 64MB!! i'll never need any more than !"that

Not quite - it is in fact AMD and not Intel that pioneered the dual memory bandwith. The nforce1 that I bought 2 years ago (!) had this and the current nforce2 mobo's have this as well.

The AMD systems dont have enough FSB to take advantage of the Dual DDR , the difference between running Dual DDR or Single is around 1-5% difference in the memory performance (normally around 3%). When running single mode you will more than lightly get a few MHZ extra FSB which means the difference in reality is tiny !

I have an Xp2500+ @ 2480mhz FSB Running Dual DDR @ 225mhz and a 3.2C P4 would kick my system around the place.........
    Mabye on some tests that are just CPU based the AMD will come out on top, but the memory difference is stagering.
    I have ran my FSB @ 245mhz (490mhz - memory) and i get around 3500 in Sisandra while the P4 running Dual DDR @ 200mhz is getting 5000.......

Like i said before AMD systems really dont benifit from Dual DDR, i would only worry about that if you have a P4 chip.
    Stick 2*256 (or 2*512 PC3200 ddr in the Abit one with a cheap barton xp2500+, overclock a wee bit and leave a P4 3.2 behind crying

Just out of interest what is your basis for comparing the systems?? I know AMD have and advantage in some area's but the 3.2C is a monster............ specially with its Memory performance.

Post some memory scores and you will see what i mean :D .

As a BTW im an AMD head, wouldnt go intel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have an Xp2500+ @ 2480mhz FSB Running Dual DDR @ 225mhz and a 3.2C P4 would kick my system around the place.........
    Mabye on some tests that are just CPU based the AMD will come out on top, but the memory difference is stagering.
    I have ran my FSB @ 245mhz (490mhz - memory) and i get around 3500 in Sisandra while the P4 running Dual DDR @ 200mhz is getting 5000.......

LOL you're right of course, I was exaggerating a tiny bit just to emphasize my point :)

245 is very honourable indeed. Respek :cool:
    As a BTW im an AMD head, wouldnt go intel.

No doubt cos of the same reasoning behind my view that it still is unbeatable in the value for money score. Interesting developments with the 64-754 though atm

The Amd64 chip is definetly something i would like to get my hands on :) . Even more so the Fx. Will prob wait until next summer when the prices have come down, mabye a dual system who knows......
    Its about time Amd have done something to challange the P4 "C" chip, such a big FSB on the new chips ........ ahhh the benchmarks :eek:
    No doubt cos of the same reasoning behind my view that it still is unbeatable in the value for money score.

Definetly agree with you, AMD are fantastic value for money and multi's are unlocked which is nice!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement