Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

varadero

Options
  • 16-10-2003 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Lookat buying a new bike.

i like the look of those varaderos for insurance it'd have to be a 125m aninly because they seem high and i'm a tall guy

anyone got one? what are they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looks like a nice bike alright. P:W is pretty good too.

It's a 2-stroke btw, just in case you missed that. I was gonna buy one, but that kind of put me off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, no its not. Its a 4-stroke v-twin.

Quite expensive too at around 5 grand new, but they've very nice. I was thinking of changing my bike for a 2nd hand one, as It'd only cost me about 500 quid for third party insurance on one, but 2nd hand varaderos are fairly thin on the ground still.

Originally posted by Stephen
    Eh, no its not. Its a 4-stroke v-twin.
    No idea where I got the idea that it's a 2-stroke......must have come up with a weird google search or summat.

My interest is renewed :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The man knows his stuff..

Varadero Specs

Was looking at one of these, lovely bikes but a bit pricey for the new ones.. however nearly impossible to get second hand...

Tox

Yeah that's cos they've only been around since 2002 afaik. I'd say a few more of the 2002 models will appear on the second hand market this spring when their owners get bored and want something faster :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I was just looking up www.buyandsell.ie - looks like you'd get one for less than 3 grand which i think is ok

Originally posted by Stephen
    Yeah that's cos they've only been around since 2002 afaik. I'd say a few more of the 2002 models will appear on the second hand market this spring when their owners get bored and want something faster :)
    Seems to be 2001, actually. :)

This year they released the Varadero 125 XL (as opposed to just Varadero 125 the previous two years).

The XL is marginally higher, longer and heavier than its predecessors. It also sports slightly less torque (0.2Nm less).

So, I'd go for one of the earlier models if you're looking :). This year is the 3-year point, so 2001 Varaderos should be available around now at close to half their bought price. Nice.

(seamus uses www.bikez.com to gleam such technical details. Great site)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The Yamaha TDR looks a bit like the Varadero, it is much the same colour and is a 2 stroke. You might have got the two mixed Seamus. In my opinion the Vardero 125 (not to be confused with it's larger brother) is a not a bad looker, an ideal learner's bike...if you don't mind crashing something so shiny and valuable:eek:
    The leaves are falling
    Careful now.

The TDR125 was another bike I was thinking of replacing my virago with, but I hear that second hand TDR's mostly seem to be thrashed by their previous owners. Its a nice looker though. Love the headlights.

El_Hama.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

that www.bikez.com site is not thew world most relaible source of information
    check out the rs250 over the various years, i looked at 96, 00 and 01 and the power ratings torque ratings and top speed vary hugely between the 3 years
    strange considerin all 3 are identical except for shape

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I've got one. Lovely bikes they're so comfortable took me a little while to get the hang of 'cause they're so damn heavy but i'm well used to it now. Suits me because I'm pretty tall if I had've went for something like an NSR I'd feel cramped on it. They're bloody expensive is the only thing I got this new at 5,600. You'd be looking at 4000 - 4,500 or so for a second hand '02 one I'd say.

Also I had my first puncture the other day.. had no idea tires were so easy to puncture.. a tiny screw-type thing managed to get itself wedged in the back tyre.

Advertisement