Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom using every trick to gain advantage over competitors [dsl]

Options
  • 16-10-2003 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

there are many other ways eircom take advantage of their monopolistic position but this is one i havent heard of before

iv been onto utv recently , trying to find out when my exchange will be upgraded and i found out eircom only tell other providers the exchange has been upgraded 2 weeks after it has been.
    this allows eircom 2 weeks headstart to contact people that have shown an interest in dsl . so by the time other providers know the exchange is upgraded alot of people will already have gone with istream
    now iv two questions to ask about this
    why are eircom allowed do this?
    and why are the other providers not trying to get eircom to play fair
    utv sounded like they just acepted that this is the way things are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well, that's a new trick to me but, seeing as it's Eircom we're talking about, I'm really not surprised at them trying to pull a stunt like that.
    Originally posted by tuxx
    why are eircom allowed do this?

Because they're Eircom. That's why. Simple as that. Until Comreg gets the balls to finally do something about Eircom pulling stunts like this it will continue to happen. So don't go holding your breath.
    Originally posted by tuxx
    and why are the other providers not trying to get eircom to play fair
    utv sounded like they just acepted that this is the way things are

I think if you look at how Comreg have handled Eircom over various matters, UTV and the other providers have probably decided there's no real point in fighting Eircom because nothing will come of it. As I said, Comreg don't seem to either.....

a: have the powers

b: care

or

c: have the balls.....

to do anything about Eircom. So the other providers have probably decided it's a lost cause and a waste of time fighting it and to just accept it. Until Comreg starts getting really tough with Eircom and duking it out with them and starts getting real results against them, you'll continue to find Eircom pulling similar tricks to try and stay one step ahead of the competition because they know they can continue to get away with it.

Go on, make a complaint to Comreg about it and I bet you'll get some standard, cut-and-paste reply about them not being able to do this, that or the other against Eircom. See what I mean? Imagine you're UTV then. Would you waste your time if you knew the possible outcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Ok I'll elaborate a bit more on what I posted on another thread. I became interested in getting DSL when the free connection offers were announced, and so I went around to the Eircom/Esat/UTV web sites, and entered in my details. All went well my line was passed according to all three sites. So I decided to try and get Esat's offer as my cps was already with them. I rang them and they checked again, and said they would send out the forms.

The next day I checked again on all three websites and lo and behold my line was failed on all three. That evening I rang Eircom to order off them and they said there was no problems with the line and there were free slots at the exchange. I asked about a contract, and they said it was done over the phone. So I decided I wanted DSL more than the hassle that Eircom were obviously going to cause me, so I ordered it there and then.

Some time later I got a package in the post, which I hadn't a clue what it was, and had it collected and it turned out to be my DSL modem, I had forgotten about it. The day that I had it collected I got a letter from Eircom telling me that my line had failed the DSL test, and they would keep me in mind for the future.

I rang Eircom straight away and asked what the story with my line was. I said I had gotten a failure letter, but had also received a modem with an Eircom order number, I just wanted to know if I could get DSL or not.. after some time I got an apology and that there was no problems with the order.

Now the letter that I received had my name spelled incorrectly, but as all my details were on the Eircom database, it had to have been an outside party that gave them my details for the letter for the line failure letter (Esat?)

Anyhow I am now up and running with DSL, but I really thought I would let you guys know whats going on, I sent an email to chairman@ioffline but I dunno if it was read.

So what do yis think of my story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The missspelling is very convenient, especially in writing.

Comreg were SUPPOSED to have a sytstem in place where all the carriers would get a CD of the (in)famous line test database on a regular basis. I am sure that the issue of slots (available or not) is the next stage of the Eircom obstruction strategy and that the slot status will not make it onto the CD.

Mail info@comreg.ie with your complaint and cc bill.murphy@esat.com

1. Obstruction of wholelsale channel (giving false information to ESAT)
    2. Illegal use of line test database in an anti-competitive manner.
    3. Providing different information to ESAT and to you personally.

Bill will have to confim that his minions misspelt your name on his database and that it came from them to Eircom in that way. The misspelling is most convenient in this case and not an issue in itself.

Comreg will probably mail you back telling you that they have no power to do anything. That means you can complain to the Ombudsman about Comreg which should focus their minds :D

Bill will do something all right, there is no point in trying to deal with Bills underlings in my opinion so go straight to the top.

M

Advertisement