Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

komplett's bartons

• 16-10-2003 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hello has anyone got a 2500+ barton from komplett recently? if so have you's tried overclocking it and what type of speeds have you got out of it?

cheers

data

p.s is the chip brown or green

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I got it recently! I've over clocked it to perform as about a 2700XP+. I've not bothered to push it - that's just using standard fans, etc. I can't recall it's colour however...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

it all depends on the cooling & motherboard you use really.

and why would you want to know the colour?
    its gonna be hidden by the fan/heatsink:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

afaik the colour tells how old it is i think the brown are newer than the greens but don't take my word for it i'm an intel man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Got my barton about 3 weeks ago from them im very happy with it i must say. Have a abit nf7-s v2.0 mobo with it.

I think mine is brown. If it was green i would have noticed!! Clocked it from 166fsb to 200fsb which gives me 2200mhz. Only have pc2100ram which is pants for clocking it. Also only useing the fans that came with it but still np so far. It dont crash nor does it get 2 hot, The hotest i have seen it so far has been 51c. Also have not raised the vcore at all yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

That's a nice result. Once your temps are under 55 degree's load you are perfect (even 58 is ok IMO on the NF7). You should run Prime95 to make sure its 100% stable.

The newer bartons are coming in green and brown depends on where its made and on what production line, doesent reflect how it overclocks. Would like to know what stepping Komplett are selling at the min..... that would give a much better indication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

I bought 4 barton 2500's off of komplett at the end of september, every one of them an AXQEA /AXDA2500.

From what I can tell, they are easy to get to 3200+speeds with default vcore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Thanks folks, i emailed komplett and they said they can't specify because they have mixed batches.

Just another query of tray version versus retail. If you buy a retail version is the fan already attached. i.e. does it have to be removed and the chip cleaned to put on another fan?

the reason i asked is i was nicely pointed in the direction of www.excaliberpc.com from Loki. They sell barton's with a specified stepping however only retail versions at the moment.

i will not be using the stock cooling but putting an slk 900 on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    afaik the colour tells how old it is i think the brown are newer than the greens but don't take my word for it i'm an intel man
    oh roysh...
    i remember the green ones from years ago.

I got the boxed barton chip. It came with a fan but what u do then is put the chip into your computer first then put your fan ontop of it. They did not come as one part but in 2 parts "one fan one heatsink". The heatsink had this rubber looking stuff on it and i did not need to apply any paste with it. If u are thinking of reusing a heatsink u have i say u would need some paste when applying it to your new chip. As i would imagine that the rubber might be missing in places or fallen off.

thank you charlie you say two parts though does that mean that the heatsink was on the chip when you got it or did you just have the actual chip yourself and put the heat sink on. i'm not reusing a heatsink but getting a new one which is better then the one they ship with it but don't want any stuff on the chip that needs cleaning as i won't be building it my self

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I got the oem barton 2500 (dont know stepping) when it first appeared together with shuttle case SN41G2 (Nforce 2) and 400Mhz ram..all from Komplett. Dropped it in, cranked it up to 197 Mhz. (Around a 3100 I reckon). Works like a charm with standard cooling - Max cpu temp its ever reached is 53C, thats 3 hours of gaming followed by a cd burn. Case fan rarely even enters high speed mode. Thats at standard V core btw. And I think it was brown.

Only reason wont make 200Mhz (3200) is the original nforce2 boards are unstable @ 200 Mhz -even tho they were advertised as supporting it .grrrrr

Shuttle board also doesnt support multiplier unlocking either which could limit you if you get a naff cpu.

Still the overclocking was even easier than my trusty original Celeron 300a-->450a thats sitting in my spare pc beside me.

AMD's yields are meant to be very good and since the 2500 is the lowest barton the chances of you getting an underclocked 2800 or 3000 or 3200 are very good indeed imho.

When i said fan i should have said Heatsink and Fan!! As in the Heatsink and fan came together "not just the fan as i said in the my post" Should read over what i type i can c how its confusing :). The fan is screwed into your heatsink before it arrives to u. so all u do is put the chip into the mobo first, Then put the heatsink with the screwed fan connected to it ontop of your chip.

In your case i would not get the boxed bartone chip. Boxed means comes with heatsink and fan. But i would go for the OEM from komplett. When u get the OEM version u only get the chip and with no heatsink or fan.

Originally posted by Celt
    I bought 4 barton 2500's off of komplett at the end of september, every one of them an AXQEA /AXDA2500.

From what I can tell, they are easy to get to 3200+speeds with default vcore.

Celt they weren't AQXEA by any chance where they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Dataisgod,
    All boxed chips come seperate from the HS/fan. You must seat the cpu in it's socket first, before attempting to attach the HS.
    The chip should be spotlessly clean, but I'd advise lapping it if you intend to add a zalman flower or other decent cooler. Avoid using any form of heat-transfer pad, stick with AS.

Don't forget!! boxed cpus come with a 3 year warranty which could be useful if you intend to clock it. Also, the stock cooler/fan can always be used on your gfx card for extra cooling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    Celt they weren't AQXEA by any chance where they?
    yup, typo'ed :(

4 AQXEA's

cheers celt its an AQXEA i'd be looking for

The Aqxea's are constantly good overclockers.

Newer steppings are out aswell.... aqzea and aqzfa , if you get one of these your also laughing :D

so its a good sign if komplett don't have any 2500+ at the moment but are getting in a new batch :)

That could either be a problem with the komplett website (the way its just been updated and the way there moving) . They might still have batches of the aqxea in stock.

Komplett sell ALOT of cpu's and the Xp2500+ would be one of their best sellers. If they are out of stock, wait until they replenish their stocks and its quite possible a Aqzea or aqzfa will show up :D . Please keep me posted on what chip you get.

Not sure if these people deliver outside of uk www.cpucity.co.uk , they will guarentee aqzfa (newest seen Xp2500 stepping).

Of course komplett might be phasing out the Xp2500+ replacing it with the Xp2600+ (barton).................. we'll just have to wait and see i guess.

BTW the aqzea & aqzfa are hitting 2.4ghz - 2.55ghz across the board with the kind of cooling & setup your thinkin of. Thats a killer system.
    Aqxea (2.35-2.5ghz) , Aquca (2.15-2.4ghz - heat a big problem) just a rough guide.

www.cpucity.co.uk don't deliver to ireland i'm afraid i checked it out with them a while ago also www.overclockers.co.uk can't gurantee a stepping either.

while www.excaliberpc.com are out of tray versions and there retail version is one 1lbs over the weight limit for ship meant to ireland.

However overclockers are getting the thermalright slk947 in in 4-7 days.

researching parts for a p.c is a pain in the ass, i could get a dell 2.4c radeon 9800 system for the same price as this thing i'm gonna get built why do i bother :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

because dell's are sh*te

The way you are researching your system means you have a much better indication of how its put toghter, how it runs, and you know the parts you are putting in it are good quality.

Its will also make it a doddle to upgrade. In the future when you need more performance you know what to look for, you know there are parts you can still use in your upgrade........... makes it a very cheap option.

With a dell upgrading is a complete pain. You cant re-use the PSU or Mobo or Case. They skimp on alot of parts that people arent well up on (PSU, MOBO....Ram) . They put a big graphics card and CPU into a relativly poor system.........

You will also have the fun of overclocking and seeing your benchies taking a very nice rise :D .

I know its a pain at first but its valuable info................

[edit] I would go with komplett for the CPU , they seem to restock the newest steppings and do it regularly.

Advertisement