Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Paper Systems - who are they

Options
  • 16-10-2003 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Not sure if this is in the correct forum.

Has any one heard of or dealt with a company calling itself Universal Paper Systems, UPS for short.

I had a phone call thanking me for filling in a survey and as a token of their appreciation they would like to offer me a case of wine or a his and hers set of watches.

So I said I would like the wine.

Then the girl asked me if she could give me some info on a computer cleaning product which they are selling - so I agreed.
    When she was finished she asked me if I wanted to place an order to which I said no - and that wuold have been the end of it until I asked her again about the wine.

She said that I would only get the wine if I ordered somthing off her.

I then asked for a supervisors name, which she said was Keith, she didnt know his sirname. She wouldnt give me her company phone number or address - well she did say it was in O'Connell Street.

I made my feelings known to her about their approach to selling their goods and then she hung up.

A few minutes later a guy from UPS rang me wanting to know what my problem was. I explained to him that I didnt like the selling technique being used. He wouldnt give me his name, telephone number - he did give me the name of a supervisor, Dave Curran, which sounded like he made it up.

I asked him how could people place orders with them if they dont give out their number - he said that they have a fax number. I asked him for that - he could not give to me because I was not going to place an order. He didnt know who owned the company.

I asked him if he still had the 'Survey' which had been filled in by someone in my company. The answer was no - they just had the results - they had destroyed the actual survey documents.

Sorry for the length of the post - does anyone know anything about them?

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I can't find a listing for "Universal Paper Services" on the CRO website but there are quite a few companies beginning with "UPS".

Clickhere and search for UPS

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like a credit card scam. Do you have caller ID on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Did you actually fill out this survey? If you hadn't, I would have just hung up the phone straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

To be honest it was the third time this company had called - the first time I had asked for their number as I couldn't take the call right then - and they wouldnt give me their number. They said they would call back in an hour. My curiosity was raised.

I only took this call to find out what their end game was - and to have a bit of fun with them.

We dont have caller ID - they would probably have it blocked anyway.

There is a Universall Paper Systems company on the CRO - under Business Name - reg no 217106. I am trying to get details now.

Paddyo

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We have had a good number of calls from them as well. Strangely they have never sent us any paper-based information so there's no fear we'll order from them.

Soemtimes instead of the wine they offer watches....I imagine they are dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Scam-Scum. Total timewasters. Avoid at all costs.
    Originally posted by parsi
    Strangely they have never sent us any paper-based information so there's no fear we'll order from them.

HaHa. Bet you never received any wine from them either......

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Scam-Scum. Total timewasters. Avoid at all costs.

HaHa. Bet you never received any wine from them either......

Not a drop.. so much so that we take it in turns to give different names for them to send the wine/watches to...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 davdela

*if* it's the company i am thinking of (UPS O'Connell st), they advertise weekly in the "Herald" for phone wokers ("earn 800 yoyo's easily")
    They give a 1800 number to ring...

Advertisement