Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pings and Dreams

Options
  • 06-08-1999 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

You USR modem suxs i suggest you burn it or give it away smile.gif

erm console is great for games but thats about it pc is the best for multiplayer games tho sunglasses.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The inbuilt modems on the forthcoming consoles (Dreamcast, PSX-2 and Project Dolphin all have modem capabilities) herald a new age for multiplayer gaming - a revolution similar to the change we saw in the Internet when the Web arrived. Multiplayer games will suddenly be accessible to millions upon millions of people who would previously never even have considered it. Prepare to be flooded by newbies... The "core" scene will be swamped with wannabes, like true hackers now are tormented with masses of script kiddies. However, the upside is that gaming is going to become more competitive, and that most likely, there's gonna be a lot of money floating about on the games scene...

One thing is for sure, nothing will be the same any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

US Robotics winmodems are unquestionably the worst modem possible for online gaming due to their crap design and cos they use about 10% of your CPU power to boost their pathetic attempts at sending data.

Get yourself a Pace 56k modem, (flash upgradeable to V.90), I used to have a USR too and was pinging 200 odd, when i got the Pace that dropped to 130 instantly, for no more hassle than plugging it in.

Should be able to find one for about 75 - 80 quid by now, I think Beyond 2000 in Chatham Street do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Burn it, burn it now. Don't give it to some other victim, that's just cruel. Get ISDN.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I gave mine to my brother in law when I got my ISDN in.
    God it really did suck!
    Oh and the dreamcast's modem wont be 56k I think it will be a 28k or 33k one.
    But it is a good thing for the online multiplaying scene.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I had a US Robotics too, it really suked pings of 240 -400,and got myself a pace 56k voice externall. My ping has dropped to 165-210. Hey, Castor Troy, how come u get pings of 130 with same modem as me, i upgraded mine to v90 but am still only getting 28.8k connection in Dublin area. My pings mentioned above are from the Lineone q2 server.

[NBK] Gonzo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's down to different ISP's and phoneline conditions and so forth, I reckon. When I had the Pace (I'm on ISDN now) i could get a 44k or so connect with Indigo, that would give me a ping of about 120 odd when quake.ie was empty, 150ish when actually playing a game.

A mate of mine just got an oceanfree a/c and is using a USR winmodem, he gets pings of over 300 to quake.ie, in fact he gets better pings to servers in France than ones in Ireland smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

Its not a matter of pings with you winmodem, I have one and I rarely play on the ie servers, its a matter of p/l. When you join the game you get about 30 which in game normally averages at 40ish. I mean where do all the packets go? What are you doing with my packets mr. winmodem? I could easilly put up with a ping of 250 with a p/l of 8-10%. Gawd I cant wait to get back playing from college, a silky smooth 30 ping with 0 p/l. MMMMMMMMM

btw i also have a pIII 450, as the lads are saying get cable when cablelink start to offer it widely. Actually I would stay away from isdn because cable and asdl are going to take over. If you really want lower pings sell your winmodem lump of sh!te and get a pace for the meantime.

[This message has been edited by Helv (edited 06-08-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Can some1 please tell me if the US Robotics V.90 modem is baaaad caus evry time I play on a quake.ie or indigo server I get pings which are always 200+ (and this is on a P3 450).

Another topic which I thought of raising at this arena was to ask yer humble thoughts on the imminent release of the Dreamcast console. The one feature which interests me is the inbuilt modem and capability of playing multiplayer with it. I don't want to start a big Console Vs. PC debate here but simply wunder what yer thoughts are on this new feature coming into the console world. Surely it's a change for the better and who knows maybe the Dreamcast will perform better than a PC when it comes to multiplayer gaming in terms of quality of connection etc.
    Slan,
    jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

ye i have the same modem .best ping i can hope for is bout 240.just wanderin ne1 want it maybe u mite wanna gimme a mars bar or something for it smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

BURN THE THINGS BURRRNN THEM BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNN I TELL YOUUUUUU !!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

What i wanna know is...

what happenes when all us pc ppl have graduated to adsl and cable whatll the dreamcast users do then eh?

they should have a socket for dif connections on the back (ethernet..cool) it uses windowsCE doesent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

uh what i mean is sockets for like the different modems not all the dif modems built in... just to clarify cheeky.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I think that consoles having 28-56k modems will be deadly.
    Because I will go into college and ****ing rape them with my T1
    Quozl the LPB smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

For reasons best known to cablenet, they only have the infrastructure installed in malahide and swords atm. The service should be City-wide within the next year or so (woohoo!). As for those outside the pale... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Dreamcast can take anything from gigabyte ethernet to a 9600bps mobile phone.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Straight from the horse's mouth:
    "Sorry, we're confined to providing broadband services to CMI Cable TV
    subscribers only. Due to regulatory restrictions, we cannot currently
    provide cable services within the Cablelink franchise areas.

At the moment we provide broadband infrastructure to several thousand homes
    and businesses in Swords, Malahide and Kinsealy. Our expansion plans are to
    extend these services to other CMI networks (see www.cmi.ie/communities.html
    for details) and increase the range of services we offer.

Of course non cable services are available in all areas.

Dary Dowling
    Internet Co-ordinator
    www.cablenet.ie
    dary@cablenet.ie"

Pace Modems have gone into receivership.

Not all Dreamcasts will come with a modem and there may well be specific ISPs you need to join to use them. Dont expect the kind of free server setup that we enjoy with quake and the likes. Dont underestimate the potential for the corporates to misunderstand the market and totally fowl this oppurtunity up.

DeV.

Advertisement