Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone going to Pink Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Yep, I heard about pink training through the college LGB society. Haven't quite made up my mind about attending or not, although I would like to visit Galway. From what I have heard it is a positive experience, so I'll probably end up going in the end, provided of course there is enough space left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

well space is limited to 150 people and seeing the demand in UCC for it it looks like it will be sold out quite quickly.

im not going

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you defo want to go swiss, the deadline is Tuesday so contact your society on Monday ASAP cause all the UCC heads are taking all the places this year

Anyway I was there in Belfast last year and it is excellent I would really reccomend it Swiss

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Decided to sign up for it earlier this week, managed to sort it out a few days ago. I'll be going up anyway :).

Anyone else going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

Yep! Definately going... should be a deadly wkend :p

• Advertisement

There's loads going,

Over 200 people have booked

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Over 200 people have booked
    Really? I thought that there was only space for 150, or is this figure a limit for the accomodation only?

In any case, I'm not surprised. There certainly was significant demand for places amongst the college LGB society in Waterford, and I can only imagine that was replicated elsewhere.

Yeah the accomodation thats booked is about 180 and the rest is all people from NUIG and Galway.

Numbers were in high demand everywhere

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tygra

I think I booked. I go to UCG.

If I'm in, and it's free, I'll be there.
    Never been before.

Excellent event, I'm back in Waterford after a 5 1/4 hour bus journey back.

I don't have the time or energy to go into the whole experience now, but I thought it was very informative from a perspective of knowing more about gay issues, especially gay rights and sexual health issues. It also provided information for people looking to set up LGB societies in smaller colleges.

It was also good from a point of view of meeting other people from other LGB societies, which would be advantageous should we try to organise any initiative that involves more than one college LGB society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I'll just add a little review of Pink Training...

Well Amnesiac is just back in Cork following the USI Pink Training Weekend in Galway. It will sound incredibly cheesy if I say I have returned a changed person but I won't deny I feel stronger, more empowered, happier and more confident in myself than I have for a long, long time.

So the lowdown... this year's Pink Training was the biggest ever. A few years ago, Pink Training, organised by the Union of Students in Ireland had about 40 delegates. This year there were 270 people taking part in Galway. Perhaps you had to be there to realise the significance of that number. Outside of the gay scene, when can you remember being part of 260 LGBT? A gathering where the LGBT were in the vast majority and it was the straight people who were in the minority, it was the college wlefare officers who had to "come out" as beign staright and were unsure of the language to use. A great mini-exercise in trianing the wlefare officers to the issues faced by LGBT on campus.

PT was a great weekend and congratulations and thanks must be paid to the USI LGBRO Tadhg O' Brien, the LGB Working Group which includes our own Teabag (auditor of the UCC LGB) Pinky (last year's auditor and UCC Society Person of The Year 2003) and Proud Mary. Cork sent a huge delegation of 26 people this year and I was on eof the PT virgins. It's a fantastic blend of the social, the political and personal development. The speakers and the module facilitators were fantastic and I think all of us learned a lot of different things, about ourselves and others and took a lot of different messages from the workshops. It's not about somebody training you how to be gay, it was about sharing experiences and learning from each other. Personally the Coming Out Workshop meant a lot to me. In the psace of 50 minutes or so I managed to deal with a lot of issues and demons I'd chosen to repress for years... and one week following Pink Training I finally managed to come out to my mother and get involved with a high visibility Gay Rights Protest on campus in UCC.

It was amazing to see so many people who are actively fighting for all our LGBT rights as opposed to drinking on the scene all night and I think attending Pink Training encourages a lot of people to get more involved in the activist side of LGBT life. It helps us to create our own sense of identity rathetr than that forced upon us by the commercial sector and the mainstream media.

The social side however was not neglected. I gave it my all (out of tune) in Karaoke in Zulus Saturday night, had such a laugh in another gay bar that reminded me of a 1950s Irish livign room and Tribes. Well Tribes was great... easily the best gay nightclub I've ever been to in Ireland. And I showed people why Kylie's SLOW is such a great track... I guess you had to be there! Some things stay at Pink Training and will not be spoken of again!

Met some great people over the weekend and in particular got to know members of our own delegation better. Thank you to everybody who made PT happen, particularly the Cork posse.

www.usilgb.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by Amnesiac_ie
    A few years ago, Pink Training, organised by the Union of Students in Ireland had about 40 delegates. This year there were 270 people taking part in Galway.
    Brilliant!
    Remembering when 40 would have seemed like a good number makes me feel old though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭darkened_corner

It was seriously such a good event! I had a fantastic time and met my new boyfriend there. We of the IT Tallaght crowd have been told we made something of a splash - after all, who can miss a crowd of people with brightly-coloured neon-glow hair?

If anyone's even remotely interested, have a look at my photos of the weekend. Unfortunately some computers (like the ones i UCD and Trinity computer labs, apparently) won't open the site cause of the underscore in the name . . . ah well.

Advertisement