Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place in dublin to buy a TV?

• 16-10-2003 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before,

Where is the best place in Dublin to buy a tv - maybe widescreen, but somewhere with a good varity thats fairly cheap. Dixons blanchardstown, power city???

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

DID, Dixons, Currys, Philips Shop (Dame St.), Peats, Any of H&M Entertainment that are left...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Yep, I recomend D.I.D. too. They have very good prices & quite a good selection & I've also found them to have a very good after-sales service.

Website - http://www.didstore.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah Power City can have some good deals.
    Usually closer to Christmas or just after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wait til after christmas to buy a tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Currys in Liffey Valley for 2 reaons, they are cheap and they have a large selection so you can see them all lined up with the same picture (usually Sky ) on them all.

kdjac

• Advertisement

I've found a great problem with this "line up" of TVs and it's that the sellers in the shop usually have no idea how to set those TVs to get the best possible picture, that means that those TVs are straight out of the box.
    Now, you might say that "they are all out of the box so it's a fair competition" but it's not, as the default settings of each manufacturer might be totally different and can lead to a wrong judgment.

So my advice is to ask to set them your self and try to get the best picture you can - then compare.
    If all possible get a proper set-up DVD like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials and ask to set the TV with that.
    If that is "too much" you can get any DVD with THX Optimizer and used that.

Just my 2 cents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good point Martin but 99% of people wont adjust the tv from out of the box,they really shouldnt have to.
    The likes of Peats do adjust the sets to make Sonys look better than other brands.
    I have a Mitsubishi 32" WS which is perfect cost me €600 in Currys ,the sound of it is cack but havent heard it in a long time.
    But if you into AV equipment you should check out AV mags and such and have a look at reviews and comments, other than that its budget that dictates what TV to buy.

kdjac

kdjC

I agree that budget is ALLWAYS what dictates what you'll buy - buying smart and buying the bust whithin your budget is what this is all about.

I don't take what magazines say/stars for granted - they have an agenda.
    All I read those magazines for is to get to know the new models and the specs/features - buying because What Hi-Fi gave something 5 stars ?! - no thank...
    I've seen/heard stuff which they've recommended and it was crap.

And what if the reviewer has a totally different taste than you ?!:confused:

All I say is - TRUST ONLY YOURSELF !

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭shawty

Hi,

Buying a TV in the next few days, budget around €600.

Any update on where is the best place to shop for them (in Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

I don't think you'll beat Power City for prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement