Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I crashed my car today and it was totally MY fault!!!

Options
  • 16-10-2003 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Yup, title of the thread says it all...

Cruising down towards Highfield road coming from Rathmines, I had a quick 3 second glance at a map I had spread out on the passenger seat (I had an appointment in an area of Sandyford that I wasn't all too familiar with) when next thing I look up and I'm only about 3-4 metres away from the car in front of me going at about 20mph! :eek: Next thing - BOOM with the sound of my headlight exploding and glass breaking! I braked as soon as I realised what was gonna happen but I was too late. My front light is smashed and will need replacing, as will my bonnet and my front bumper. I've been told that it cost up to two grand. As for the other chaps' car (A '97 Rover 214 Hatchback I think) I think it's written off as the rear side panel on the left is totally dented in and there's some slight damage to the back of the car. Anyways I think I'm looking at around €5000 altogether as I'm not going to go down the Insurance route... Just what I needed really, now I'm going to have to borrow a fair bit to get all this sorted out! The only positive I can take out of this is that it COULD have been a hell of alot worse, ie if I hit a brand new SLK or 7 Series Beamer! :eek: No one was hurt either which was a blessing...

It was my first ever crash in a car and I hope it will be my last! On a practical note does anyone have any recommendations for where to go to source a new bonnet, right headlight and front bumper? My car is a Black 1998 VW Golf Mk4...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

hmm learn how to play the insurance game. NEVER admit it was your fault - even if you were driving blindfolded. Just put down the facts on the insurance claim and let them decide - you might as well let them do some minute fraction of work to justify the extortionate premium.

Also never admit fault at the scene. If there is any doubt you might compromise any claim if ya say that in front witnesses.

If ya rear ended someone yer screwed tho ;) unless of course you can find a witness to say he reversed towards ya at high speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

No way its cost that much to fix unless you go through the insurance who use companies that charge 2 or 3 times the normal amount. That rover is only worth about 5K. if the repair is 50% of the that they'll say its written off. A decent place would only charge about 2K. Assuming the chassis is straight. If the other driver could insist on it going through the insurance though. Thats his right. As for your car try a breakers or OTTO in Ranelgh. If the Claim is more than 3K I'd put it through the insurance. You were reading a map. In fairness thats really stupid. At least no ones hurt. Imagine how you'd felt if had been a kid! I'm not busting your chops as accidents happen. C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I won't be too hard on you as I too have rear-ended someone, back in 1995....it went through the insurance. Map reading is a foolish game though, I know (we ALL know) that pulling over to stop is "too much trouble" but not as much trouble as a crash....I bet you were thinking a million things at light speed just after it happened!

You could try GSF for the parts....

Mike.

ps when I saw the thread title I immediatly thought of the Opel Vectra I saw today sat on top of a crash barrier beneath a bridge on the N-20 outside Adare....I had my camera but was already late for a drop so was'nt about to stop. Pity, it would have made a great post here! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Originally posted by mike65
    Map reading is a foolish game though, I know (we ALL know) that pulling over to stop is "too much trouble" but not as much trouble as a crash...

Yeah I know it was a stupid thing to do...Not to mention the fact that with the money this is gonna undoubtedly cost me, I could have bought a spanking new Satellite GPS navigation system and still have some spare yoyos left over for a nice set of 18" alloys!

Oh such is life... :)

"Satellite GPS navigation system"

If I had one of these in the first place I probably wouldn't have even crashed![

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I saw a brand new motor (Saab I think) the other day rear ended at Blanch roundabout. Not nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Giles
    "Satellite GPS navigation system"

If I had one of these in the first place I probably wouldn't have even crashed![

Thought they didn't work here yet - do they?
    Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    That rover is only worth about 5K

2-3k max in insurance terms would be my estimate

From the look of the car, I definitely don't think the Rover is worth more than €2000. Thing is I've agreed with the guy I hit to not go through my Insurance company - although if he thinks he can screw me he's got another thing coming! I think I'll give my broker a call tomorrow nonetheless - just to see what their angle on the whole thing is and whether it would be a bad idea or not to claim on the policy. Another thing, assuming the guys calls me tomorrow and says his car is a write-off then surely if I'm to give him what his car was worth before the accident he has to give me the car? That's what would happen if he were to claim off my policy afaik... It's called salvage or something I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Giles
    Another thing, assuming the guys calls me tomorrow and says his car is a write-off then surely if I'm to give him what his car was worth before the accident he has to give me the car? That's what would happen if he were to claim off my policy afaik... It's called salvage or something I think.
    Seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

giles, i know one or two people who have crashed their cars and found that it was more expencive to buy parts from the manufacturer to get the origional bonnet and such on. The cheepest way that they have gotten their car back to a clean state was to use modifications. Try looking about for a modded yet conservitive bonnet and front bumper - keep it as close to the origional as you can and you will save a couple of hundread easy! And your car will look a lil cooler too ;p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Qv

Shame to hear that at least your not hurt.

Lucky the guy's willing to leave out the Insurance company,
    considering you where at fault, you've admitted it .cause a 20mph rear shunt in a stationary car is a big impact. Let hope there's no whiplash or back injuries. Was the other driver hurt?
    although if he thinks he can screw me he's got another thing coming!
    Has this guy been usreasonable at all ?? was he agressive or annoyed at the scene ? I would be, If I'd been hit while minding my own business.

Metal can be repaired, so don't worry we all make mistakes just learn from them.
    yellow pages Car Dismantler's.. get ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Bad luck mate. You say that the only damage to your car is a bonnet, light and bumper. If so, then you got off lightly. And it doesn't sound like a 2 grand job to me even including spraying and labour.

Are you sure that your wings, slam panel and chassis rails are OK? If these are damaged then it'll be a much bigger job.

As for the other guy's car, yeah it's probably a write off. The damage may not look that bad but the shell could well be bent. This is very common even in low speed rear-end impacts. If this is the case, then you should offer him full market value for the car, in effect buy it off him or else offer him less than market value and let him keep it. You're lucky that he doesn't seem to want to go through insurance and seems reasonable Be careful though, he could well change his mind when he's had more time to think about it and decide that his neck is feeling a bit sore.....

BrianD3

Got the damage to my car valued at €1800 exc VAT. I'll be paying in cash without question now! :D

I need a new Bonnet, bumper, both front headlights (which don't come cheap!) and a new fibre glass thingy which has snapped - it sits behind the bumper incidentally. I also need a new seat belt as my drivers side one is not moving an inch either way (I was told this it due to a resistance mechanism breaking as a result of the sharp pull on the belt in the collision). Without meaning to state the obvious this is one thing that MUST be replaced asap!!!The guy who's doing it for me I know quite well so he's not ripping me off...

Advertisement