Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chevez, Inside the Coup.

Options
  • 17-10-2003 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished watching it on BBC2. If you missed I strongly recommending watching, it is compelling to see a media run coup as it happens and how they did it.

You can bet your asses it will never be shown in the US though. (At least while Bush is in power).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

You can bet your asses it will never be shown in the US though.
    Believe it or not, HBO has approached the directors expressing interest in buying the rights to the documentary.

Either they really want to show it or they want to buy the film and never show it.

I doubt HBO would conspire to bury the film, there's too much money to be made out of its feature-length version.

For anyone in Galway, there will be a showing of the documentary on November 13th at the Taibhdearc Theatre at 8pm.

There may be a showing of it at the Irish Social Forum this weekend (Fri - Sun) - not sure but Donnacha O'Briain, one of the directors, is chairing a workshop on documentary making.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It is not the US involvement in the coup for the reason they would bury it (that gets very little mention), but the fact that they (US Media) were reporting it from the US exactly the way the private media that were planning the coup.

Not to mention it shows what a real democracy is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Now that you mention it, if the documentary doesn't get shown, it'll be because it humanises Chavez and presents him as a legitimate political force in Latin America. We can't have that, oh no.

This article suggests America's next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Good article. A "first-hand account" of irresponsible journalism. I don't suppose the Venezuelan state can sue her for Libel?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    Good article. A "first-hand account" of irresponsible journalism. I don't suppose the Venezuelan state can sue her for Libel?

Hardly. If the documentry is anything to go by the private run TV channels spout that stuff all the time. I liked Chavez reply to all of it (sic) "It is a free country they can say what they want and vote against me at the next election".

Personally I would be taking all the TV stations to court over libel. Especially over the mocked up footage showing Chavez supporters who were supposed to be shooting at demonstrators (when in fact they were trying to take out a sniper who was shooting both sides and the street was empty). Someone should of gone to jail for doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder that it aired on TG4, months ago.

Chavez-Inside the Coup - Power Pictures -
    AKA The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. Director Kim Bartley, Donnacha O'Briain, Producer David Power.

Quite sobering when you consider how few media barons there are in the english speaking world and how many of them have similar interests (apart from in-fighting).

Also tarnishes a lot of repupitations in the White House...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just a reminder that it aired on TG4, months ago.

I beleive that it was on RTE not TG4. I like TG4 but RTE got this one.

It won the award for best television programme this year up againist the West Wing and other major american series.

A very well made documentry for the True Lives Series on RTE One.

I look forward to more insightful Documentary making on Irish TV, not just from TG4.

Advertisement