Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cloning laptop hard disk

Options
  • 17-10-2003 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

im tryin to clone a laptop harddisk (WinXP Pro, Fat32) from a 9gb one to a 20gb one and am havin some problems, ive got a 2.5 to 3.5 HD converter and have slaved the disk into my own pc and taken a full copy of the data as backup.

but im havin problems with ghost, it wont let me create an image from the old laptop disk to my disk, ive tries all sorts of different options within ghost and it will ony let copy to the source disk.

ive tried to reformat the new drive and copy the whole contents of the old one but it says cannot fint ntldr when i try to boot.

does anyone know the easiest way to get this working?

much appreciated.

Rob

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To test if the only problem is NTLDR,
    put the old drive into the notebook, format a disk (this puts an XP boot sector on it) and copy the files c:\boot.ini c:\ntldr and c:\ntdetect.com onto it. (they are hidden system files so might have to use dos prompt and Xcopy c:\boot.ini a:\*.* /h /r etc.)

If you can use this boot disk to start the PC OK then boot off the XP CD and you could try a repair of the system files (I prefer to do a dummy install to the C:\XP folder and exit setup once the PC reboots by itself)

If you get a blue screen Stop 07 inaccessible boot device or some guff about windows halting cos' it can't activate then you are into SYSPREP territory - but that's a different post....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you could try Powerquest drive image. It seems a bit strange. Both PQDI and Ghost have their indiosynrcies (spelling!). Usually there cover for each over.

Advertisement