Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In Longford Town

Options
  • 17-10-2003 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

BROADBAND finally is here in Longford Town, no Eircom, no Esat, no UTVIP, it is simply a local entrepreneur with cable TV.

They are offering 600 kb/s up and 600 down no CAPS whatsoever on downloads or traffic, 24/7 always on at 50 Euros a month.

I will be kicking out Eircom from my home at once, I will say god bay and thanks to UTVIP. With the money I save from those two I will pay soon my new cable broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Can you Name the operator please and link their website , Longford is now in a very xclusive club along with Dungarvan Co. Waterford where Casey Cablevision have supplied BB to their customers for a few years.

For those who don't know , it is now permissible for any town to either

a) Kick out Chorus by offering them cash for their system and running it themselves

or

b) Set up their own cable company .

Chorus have lost exclusivity in their franchise areas since last year. No more monopoly.

I would include NTL in that comment except that there are rumours flying that they will expand their coverage soon and dramatically.

As NTL do 600k for €20 a month for TV customers or €40 a month for the others I think that many people would gladly hand them the money and cut off the Eircom line that costs €22.50 a month in Rental alone...and thats before you pay FRIACO costs. A decent analogue line and a decent FRIACO package such as UTV will cost €22.50 + €25 a MONTH incl VAT.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I would include NTL in that comment except that there are rumours flying that they will expand their coverage soon and dramatically.

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ... ah .. ah hahahahahahahahahhah h!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

if I had a quid for everytime ....... ....

pigs will fly outta my ass before .....

I should imagine if they get a couple of 3.5 ghz licenses they might do something for the MMDS customers, but apart from that not a hope ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by MDR
    I should imagine if they get a couple of 3.5 ghz licenses they might do something for the MMDS customers, but apart from that not a hope ....

If they had applied for some that may be possible Ray........but they haven't.....as Comreg told us a month back :D

Looks like a cable only strategy to me .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Originally posted by Muck
    ....As NTL do 600k for €20 a month for TV customers or €40 a month for the others .......M

That's not actually the case. If you live in Tallaght the service costs €20 a month for 600kbps. Anywhere else it's €40 a month. Whether you subscribe to the tv service or not is irrelevant to the cost of the service. I think it may be a requirement though. I'm not sure I could cancel my TV service from NTL and go with Sky digital instead and still use the cable line for my internet connection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement