Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD Ripping ?

• 17-10-2003 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

Ok, I now have a swanky Pioneer A06 DVD Burner and some blank discs and a PC with lots of hard disk.

If I pick a random DVD out of my collection, e.g. American Pie 1

Whats the best tool to rip and backup that DVD, I'm sure there are loads out there, I'd just be interested to hear what works well for people out there. (And the free-er the tool, the better !)

I already have Nero for general stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

DVDdecryptor is the best ripping program out there.

Quigs get thee to DVDrhelp.

Full tutorial's on DVD to DVD here.. Have a look at this guide which will run you through the full DVd to DVD-R process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I am also interested.

Is there any difference in using + or - media?

My dvd-r supports both

Originally posted by STaN
    I am also interested.

Is there any difference in using + or - media?

My dvd-r supports both

Not an expert but my own take would be +R media is less bothered by scatches and stuff but is usually more expensive. Afaik the -R format will play on more players than the +R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Ok thanks for the advice lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

DVD X Copy Xpress

You'll find it on download.com or the homepage here . It will as you asked do a backup copy, this means you just get the film. You can jump chapters but you won't get the root menu or and extra features that might be on the disc,i.e. deleted scenes or conmentry.Try it out anyhow.

DVD RAM is much better then DVD-/+RW. Seen it in action and it looks brillent. Pity its not available on the PC :(

Timeout

Originally posted by timeout
    DVD RAM is much better then DVD-/+RW. Seen it in action and it looks brillent. Pity its not available on the PC :(
    Timeout

Not from a compatability point of view. DVDRAM probably looks better because it's twice the storage capacity of DVD+/-R. However you would have to purchase a suiable DVD RAM player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by timeout
    DVD X Copy Xpress

You'll find it on download.com or the homepage here . It will as you asked do a backup copy, this means you just get the film. You can jump chapters but you won't get the root menu or and extra features that might be on the disc,i.e. deleted scenes or conmentry.Try it out anyhow.

Timeout

Wha???

Dvdram is totally available for pc - it was the first kinda burner available for pc!! And its not much better - its just bigger. Its compatible with fcuk all only its own drive whereas dvd-r or +r are compatible with lots a players even ps2 and xbox.

I'd stay away from dvdxcopy - ive used it and it is a 1 click automated solution but you get a stupid message at the start of every disk (removable but annoying.)

I personally use smartripper (dvddecryptor is good too) and then dvd2one 1.3 which copies full movie extras and all, then burn back to ritek go3's silver top usin prassi primiodvd on a pioneer 104 with hacked firmware that allows 2x burn on 1x media. 100's done no probs- all play on my v7 ps2 with magic 3.1 modchip(not needed for movies - jus games)
    \
    Note - ur media is the most critical variable here- test a good few before u go and buy bulk cas it took me about 3 months before i got the right blend of quality and price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i want to keep all the menu's and stuff and special features... that possible and with what?

Originally posted by STaN
    i want to keep all the menu's and stuff and special features... that possible and with what?

Ya most definitely -
    There's 100's of ways - i just told u the one i prefer.
    All tools are free (kinda) and its fast - under an hour.
    Best bet is to check out
    www.dvdrhelp.com
    theres loads a guides there - jus try a few and youll get the way you like best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i want a program that does dvd-svcd in one go.

Originally posted by irishgeo

good stuff - i want to win the lottery!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

get the DVD2SVCD bundle from doom9.org and get the TMPGEnc encoder from somewhere else (its a paid for program) and Roberts your relative. you may need to make a few SVCD's from a large movie, and it WILL take a day to do a 2 hour movie... the quality is excellent though ... but your sound will be reduced to stereo

Originally posted by irishgeo

DVD to SVCD guides.

Advertisement