Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cpu running at 69'C HELP!

Options
  • 17-10-2003 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

my 3000xp cpu is running at a temp of 69'C and mobo at 33! how can i cool it already has an headstink running at full power on wot esle do i need to get btw i have a chieftec dragon case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Don't run it at that temp for too long m8.
    Sounds like the HS isn't making proper contact with the cpu. Is the HS warm to touch?
    I'd remove the HS and check the pad/paste for gaps etc. Clean off the cpu and HS, reapply Arctic silver and refit carefully (make sure the surfaces are in full contact all over!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The mobo temps seem ok...33 degree's isint that bad. Definetly a problem whith the heatsink. Make sure you have it on the right way, ie the lip on the heatsink is facing the lip on the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Sir Random
    Don't run it at that temp for too long m8.
    Sounds like the HS isn't making proper contact with the cpu. Is the HS warm to touch?
    I'd remove the HS and check the pad/paste for gaps etc. Clean off the cpu and HS, reapply Arctic silver and refit carefully (make sure the surfaces are in full contact all over!!).

The surface of the DIE only!!!!! Not the entire cpu. And place some paste of the heatsink where it will contact the die, and rub it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

okay I'm havent fitted or changed a headstink b4 so could someone plz take me thru it also i notice how my cpu fan was set at 0 RPM but that couldn't be right? I think its to do with the Q-fan thing on my mobo which is an asus a7n8x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

max operating temp for the athlon xp's is around 85 C so you have a bit of leeway..your 0 rpms is prolly cause fan monitoring cable aint working, boot up the pc with the cover off and make sure the fan is running...

[edit] unless of course you mean your motherboard CPU fan control is set to 0 rpm..if so go into bios and switch it on ffs.! Wack it up to its highest setting then run a game to get the cpu nice and sizzly in a short time. If ya download motherboard monitor or one of the other temp monitors you can see your temps in windows.
    [edit no 2] For reference my XP 2500 running overclocked at 195 FSB (around abouts a 3100 if there was such a beast)
    Hits a max temp of 53 C and Thats in a tiny well stuffed Shuttle case with DVD burner, running Freelancer. The shuttle fan dont even hit max rpms until 55.

• Advertisement

maybe it will help if i tell you my full setp up
    400w psu
    3000xp
    1024mb ddr(333mhz)
    9800pro 128mb
    asus a7n8x

All that with just the only heatstink and cpu fan

If I remember rightly the dragon case is mini-tower sized right? maybe even a little bigger. If so even with a toasty card like the 9800 there's no reason for your cpu running that hot. Check your bios setting for the 0 rpm stuff, also make sure the cpu fan is spinning, after you boot into windows with the lid off.

The case is cool enough judging by your MB temp so its limited to the cpu....

i cant change that 0 rpm thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Do you have your case fans running in that case?

have you checked the cpu fan is running with the case lid off?

• Advertisement

Is your cpu fan connected to the correct mobo connector?
    If not, that would explain the 0rpm in BIOS.
    My mobo has 4 "extra" fan connectors, 2xSys-fan, 2xAux-fan.
    If I connect a case fan to sys-fan1, it's rpm shows up in winbond under "system fan" as approx 1850rpm. If I connect it to any other mobo fan connector, winbond shows "system fan" at 0rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

try getting speedfan

you can configure that to monitor all of your fans

also, new magazine out, CustomPC. I got the second issue. quite good, go here for the site http://www.custompc.co.uk

i have checked with the lid off cpu fan is running, atm i have zero case fans i was wondering would they make a difference to my cpu? No real need to cool my mobo its running at around 30. I also found out that the max heat the cpu can handle is 80 something

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

i have checked with the lid off cpu fan is running, atm i have zero case fans i was wondering would they make a difference to my cpu? No real need to cool my mobo its running at around 30. I also found out that the max heat the cpu can handle is 80 something

Yes it can, but it will reduce the lifespan of the cpu (maybe from10 years to 3 years... who cares ;))
    but your CPU is not very far away from the point where crashes can happen because auf high temperatures.
    It is always better (even when you don't want to overclock) to have enough distance to the limits. ;)

Case fans can make a big difference, because you can install a well defined airflow in the case (for example: cold air from the front bottom into the case and the warm air exits the case on the backside.

This might bring you around 5 degrees difference, which in your case won't be to bad....

but as the others said before: try checking if your cooler is installed correctly. If you use the stock-fan and have recently removed it once, remove the thermal pad completely and install the heatsink with thermal compound.

regards,

jow

what should i do if i want to bring it down 10 or 20 degrees? I dont want to invest in watercooling so has any1 any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    what should i do if i want to bring it down 10 or 20 degrees? I dont want to invest in watercooling so has any1 any other options?

get a better cpu cooler (thermalright slk) and install some case fans....

and if this doesn't help.... have you ever thought about watercooling ;);)

regards,

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

The stock AMD heatsink and fan aren't very good. It's heatsink is small and so is the fan. You can easily upgrade to a cheapo coolermaster for less than €20 from maplins or komplett.

I find that the stock heatsink is very hot to the touch. And if that's the case it isn't getting rid of the heat properly. A better heatsink will help disperse heat thanks to the larger surface area. Material is important too but all copper heatsinks tend to be expensive. You can also get a combination aluminium and copper.

When installing the heatsink use some thermal paste. Coolermaster has a some handy extras that come with the paste. A credit card sized bit of plastic and a stencil. You put the stencil over your heatsink, put a bit of paste on and flatten with the plastic card. Makes sure u get a even coating on the heatsink. U might want to put a tiny bit on the cpu die as well. Can't go wrong.

I think this should slove my problems Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite (Socket A) (HS-007-CM)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Coolermaster_122.html

does any1 know how good these cpu coolers are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

I think this should slove my problems Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite (Socket A) (HS-007-CM)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Coolermaster_122.html

does any1 know how good these cpu coolers are??

WHAT???? YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU....

http://www.burnoutpc.com/images/reviews/jet7/MOV00450.MPG

Jeez, I'd read that they're loud, but not that loud! It sounds like a hair dryer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Tom I noticed you mentioned you have Q-fan on in the bios settings turn that off, secondly update you're bios, if you have not done that already, the asus website should give you all the tools you need AFlash, new bios, etc.. thirdly try this program here to cool down you're AMD cpu since you are running on the nforce2 chipset you need the Version 2.0 of the program; carefull its *alpha*, fourthly if you wish to get a new HS with fan maplins have the Zalman copper flower cooler it will cost a little bit more then the aero....but it will be worth it!. whatever you do dont get the aero.

Try some of that and tell us how things turn out...

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    ... secondly update you're bios, if you have not done that already, the asus website should give you all the tools you need AFlash, new bios, etc.. t

I use the excellent Uber BIOSs, available from Demoulous'Uber Bios project homepage. Have never looked back since first using them, but make absolutely sure what version [e.g. v1.04, v2.0] and variant your board is [Deluxe, non-Deluxe] before flashing it! Version is silk printed onto mobo around where it says A7N8X in big letters towards last PCI slot end of the board.
    Have fun!
    MK

Originally posted by MadKevo
    WHAT???? YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU....

http://www.burnoutpc.com/images/reviews/jet7/MOV00450.MPG

Yeah but thats not the one im getting its the Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite (Socket A) (HS-007-CM) so not really worried about that but if any1 has noe of these can the post review

Yeah but thats not the one im getting its the Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite (Socket A) (HS-007-CM) so not really worried about that but if any1 has noe of these can the post review

I know, but couldn't resist the link to the video... :D
    Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Dude, get a Dell

www.dell.ie

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Dude, get a Dell

www.dell.ie

no offense m8 but are u just trying to increase ur posy count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I'm actually making a subtle point. A Personal Computer from www.dell.ie has none of the issues described above, and will serve you well for years. In the unlikely event that there is a failure, Dell's three year back to base warranty and excellent customer support staff will see you through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Personally I'd recommend an Olivetti or Hewlett packard laserjet personal computer.

I have two and they're great!

It never overheats and will print 3 full colour pages per minute with a massive amount of pixels.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i would highly recommend this cooler. very cheap too.
    i got a 10-15 degrees celcius drop from the stock crap-ass coolermaster i got with the chip. i run it on the lowest rpm [about 1400], so you can bearly hear it, but believe me, your ears will burst if you turn it up full [3600rpm].
    mine runs @ about 28 degrees on idle, its an XP 2000+
    using 3 X 80mm case fans too.

dave

• Advertisement
Advertisement