Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone heard of a band called Killer Watt?

Options
  • 17-10-2003 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I found an old tape with an ep called "Freddy's Revenge" by a band called Killer Watt. I have no idea where it came from it must be about 10 years old, they don't sound too bad. I've tried google and all it brings up is some covers band. Any info on them would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The name rings a bell alright, and it's really annoying the f*ck out of me now trying to remember, thanks :D

OK, I'm probably wrong here, but if memory serves me well, I think Killer Watt were from Norn Iron. They would've been playing around 88-92 era. I'm fairly sure, in a shaky way, that I saw them playing in McGonagles (R.I.P.) around 89-90 as support to someone, possibly Xentrix or Acid Reign. Thier set got cut short, they ran out of time as they were starting a cover of Whiplash! The bastards cut the power!

Yeah, they were pretty good! Sort of thrashy, with a smidge of Iron Maiden. They were a quality outfit. I never got any of their demos. There were a few quality bands around Ireland in that era, like Moral Crusade, Predator, Last Rites... ahhhhhh: :rolleyes:

There was an English band I saw in McGonagles who were really, really good, called Treason, but they seemed to disappear off the face of the earth before I could get a demo :( Now there's a band I'd like to hear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ger_r

Doc, we have some of the same memories man! I remember Killer Watt alright. Tom Hayes used to always play them on his Rock Show! Ah they were good times! Moral Crusade used to do a great version of Alternative Ulster. Do you remember Panic?
    I heard there's a band going around now called eccentrics and I thought straight away of Xentrix.

By the way, do you remember Acid Reign had a whole song about metal cliches? Who knew that bands like the Darkness
    would use all of them 15 years later and get famous?

Ahhhhhhh great days, great days!!! :D

I remember Panic alright. I lost count of how many times I saw Acid Reign and Xentrix in McGonagles and the plethora of cool support bands.

I still have my ticket from the first time I saw Acid Reign - £6!!!

Up yours, Ticketmaster!!!

My first one was 8 squid to see Def Leppard! My favourite of all those bands was Sabbat in McGonagles. Were you at the Ozzy warm up gig there?

Both nights :D:D:D

Great f*ckin gigs, never been more squished in my life.

Toffo, we've got to get a copy of that tape!!!

• Advertisement

Wahey! It was a squishy one all right. But Metallica with Danzig -in the Top Hat, that was the most squished I've been at a gig. And yeah, I gotta get that tape too!!

I remember Danzig and Metallica too, Slayer and Nuclear Assault, even Megadeth and Sanctuary in the Olympic Ballroom, they were all squishy, but I had so much steam coming off me after the Ozzy gig it looked like I was on fire!!! Could'nt walk for a couple of days after.

We went to the Westbury after the Saturday gig, where Ozzy was staying, and just hung around in the freezing cold for a couple of hours. Got the keyboard players autograph. Ozzy came along with Jack on his shoulders (back before he was a fat c*nt) but wouldn't stop to sign out tickets :(

That's a shame. He's still a legend though. I was at all those gigs! the only autographs I got were Anthrax though!!

Man, that's f*ckin scary. The gig in the Top Hat where they walked off?

I managed to get backstage at that and get their autographs too!!!

They were all really, really sound apart from Joey Belladonna who didn't say a word, seemed toally up himself.

There were so many great gigs in the Top Hat... Suicidal Tendencies and M.O.D. - Onslaught, Crumbsuckers and Slammer - Kreator and a Chuckless Death... ahhhh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Doctor J,
    Found that Killer Watt tape if you want a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Ameirgin

I gott asay that these posts brough memories crashing back. I remember KillerWatt - and I remember the power cut incident too!

Toffo, I would love a copy of that tape - let me know how you wanna do this. I can get a tape to you, if you want to let me know how.

I remember gigs like Metallica, supported by Anthrax, back in 1986 - in the SFX! I remember Slayer and Nuclear Assault, Metallica and Danzig (both nights!) in the Top Hat!

Gods, those were great days. And Dr J - I remember the prices too - I saw Metallica and Anthrax for, if I remember right, £8.

Ahhhh,,,,,memories :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

you old farts :D

Hey just cos I go to gigs now without bein underage don't make me old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by ger_r
    Hey just cos I go to gigs now without bein underage don't make me old...

well guess what, so can I, just not old enough to remember 80's gigs :)

I remember most things abut the 80's alright (shudder), but what really makes me laugh is the 80's revival at the moment. Like the guy in Interpol wearing leather ties? What's with that?? I made my communion in one of them! It's just not right!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Finally got some feed back on Killer Watt.
    According to a mate of mine, they were a Dublin based band back in 86/87 that released a 3 track 12" called "The Death EP", that apparently charted in the top 30. The base player was supposedly one of the blokes that used to sell bootlegs on O'Connell Bridge, I think he said his name was Sid or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

First gig I went to was KillerWatt supported by Panic and I can't remember the third band even though I was in school for a while with the bass player, it was in McGonagles, well worth the few quid in.......that was in 1987, summertime...

The KillerWatt singer is actually a mate of mine, the 12" definitely charted in the Irish charts, just when they seemed to be getting somewhere the ego's got too much from what I heard.......pity really, at that time they could have done well.....

I'd love to get a copy of the tape......

So then does anyone know the name of the Nordie band then? They were pretty good... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chris1966

NIBBS wrote: »
    First gig I went to was KillerWatt supported by Panic and I can't remember the third band even though I was in school for a while with the bass player, it was in McGonagles, well worth the few quid in.......that was in 1987, summertime...

The KillerWatt singer is actually a mate of mine, the 12" definitely charted in the Irish charts, just when they seemed to be getting somewhere the ego's got too much from what I heard.......pity really, at that time they could have done well.....

I'd love to get a copy of the tape......

NIBBS, who are you, what's your name? You said I'm a mate of yours. Chris "Git" Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

WOW zombie thread of the highest order!

EDIT: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773453

theres actually another recent thread of the same topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Chris1966 wrote: »
    Chris "Git" Rooney

You're not from Beach Hill in Donnybrook are you ?

RayCon wrote: »
    You're not from Beach Hill in Donnybrook are you ?

No, Bonnybrook in Coolock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Well i don't know you chris but thanks for the gigs, enjoyed every minute of them.

Glad you enjoyed yourself slave & cheers for coming along & supporting us, Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

No, Bonnybrook in Coolock!

Ah , Im thinking of another "Git" Rooney ....

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

was just listning to them the other day ,my brother loves em and had the album on ,not bd stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

NIBBS, who are you, what's your name? You said I'm a mate of yours. Chris "Git" Rooney

It's Stevo Git, thought you knew the auld Boards name from the other Boards we're one :-)

jaysus - 6 years since my last comment in this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Hey, I remember Killer Watt also! I think it would've been around 1988/89 ish? From what I remember, they had a 12" and that was the first song on it. It started with a nursery rhyme that was sampled from the film and then jumps in "Freddies Back". I think....getting a bit foggy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Info ripped from the myspace/facebook and other places and put here:
    http://www.metalireland.com/miwiki/index.php?title=Killer_Watt

If anyone has anything to add you can edit the entry etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

You can download their Death E.P along with loads of other great Irish DIY punk/metal here.

http://diyirishhardcorepunkarchive.blogspot.com/search/label/Killer%20Watt

Advertisement