Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which skirmish game?

• 17-10-2003 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

Which skirmish game do you enjoy playing the most? I used to LOVE Gorkamorka, with the hilarity of violence and crazy mishaps (Note: Fort gates are not really susceptible to opening if you charge an ork with rocketpack into them headfirst...), and I'm really impressed by Inquisitor, although I use 40K scale models and scenery because I'm not made of money.

I'm in charge of wargames in the society in NUIG, and I want to run a skirmish campaign fo some sort soon, but I'd like to get public opinion on the best game to run, in terms of fun, cost, simplicty, etc.

Which do you prefer? 8 votes

Mordheim- City of the damned
    0% 0 votes
    Gorkamorka
    0% 0 votes
    Necromunda
    37% 3 votes
    Inquisitor (with 40K scale models)
    62% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Gorkamorka's been discontinued for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Necromunda most definitely, most exciting games ive ever played! In fact its my favourite out of all the games skirmish or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

What was the name of the game that Necromunda was based on? It was published in White Dwarf over several issues, many years ago...

It kicked ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Was it conflict?

Originally posted by Regi
    Was it conflict?

MMM, possibli...

It was over three or four issues, probably eight to ten years ago. Virtually the same as Necromunda but far more open in what you could do. You could pretty much do anything you wanted actually...

We played a great game of it a few years back on the Car Wars table at Gaelcon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

or was it called confrontation? I can't remember :(

Originally posted by Regi
    or was it called confrontation? I can't remember :(

That be the one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I voted for inquisitor... not that i've played it, i just like the models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

necromunda, everything since has been a pale copy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Out of the above list, I'd have to say Necromunda, although I would propose several other suggestions

BattleFleet Gothic - which is usually rather sharp, short and oh-so-brutal

Warhammer 40k 500 points per side. Gets very messy very quickly :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just ran an Inquisitor skirmish last night for a couple of peeps.

I realised within 5 minutes how badly I had prepared for it, and how near impossible it would be to run a proper game in one hour, but dear god, it was fun. :)

It's a very slick system. If you don't have a calculator about you can ignore some of the more technical rules, but by and large it runs quite quickly and lets people do all sorts of cool heroic stuff.

The scenario was an Ordo Xenos inquisitor leading a small squad of crack IG vets into the middle of an ork camp to destroy their heavy support for the battle the following day. Slap together some quick ork profiles, give the guardsman with the heavy stubber battle psychosis so if the pressure gets too much he'll let rip at the nearest target, and a couple of melta bombs, and you have one cool game on your hands!

I found out exactly how much work being a GM is last night, but it's very much worth the effort.

/me bashes Inquisitor with large bashing stick of approvalness.

*BASH*

Advertisement