Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on Imports

Options
  • 18-10-2003 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard which Jeeps fall into the same category as small vans under the VRT regulations ?

I've been browsing the web site just now and it states :
    Small Vans and some jeeps - 13.3% of OMSP (Subject to a min. tax of €125)

OMSP stands for Open Market Selling Price.

There's no other mention of Jeeps there so does this mean that they fall into the category below ?

Other Vehicles - e.g. Tractors, Large Vans, Lorries etc a flat rate of €50.

Has anyone any experience of bringing in a used Jeep or Van ? I was wondering is there a loop hole that allows a commercial Jeep to fall into the same category as "Large Vans".

That would be nice !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You need a larger Jeep as I understand something I read on the .gov site. I think the rule says that there must be 2m length behind the drivers seat for the vehicle to qualify. Damn stupid way to test for commercial vehicle status if you ask me. This just enourages more SUV and large pickups to be used on the road. I saw a dealer touting a crew-cab pick-up as 'like driving a big saloon, but with no VRT!'

Surely a commercial vehicle is one that is used by a commercial oraganisation, so the test would be is it registered to an actively trading company. These could tie it to posting company accounts to prevent you setting up bogus companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hmmm I've always liked those Mitsubishi Pajero Sports , they call them Challengers in the UK and Japan I think.
    they're a pretty long Jeep so I'm guessing they might fit 2 metres of tape between the seats and the back of the vehicle.

It would still work out quite expensive though as they only cam out in 98 (I think)

Great. Another 3.5 tons of tin on the road. Go for it, you'll get the govt to let you off the VRT too...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

. I think the rule says that there must be 2m length behind the drivers seat

Its the passenger seat. The runners on the seat are changed to allow it to push closer to the dash. I've seen it done to an Isuzu.

A bit of food for thought...

Isuzu Trooper is it? A whopping 273gm/km of CO2 you'll be knocking out, lovely. A Ford Mondeo is 170gm/km. The Ford does 36mpg, whereas the Isuzu will squeeze out a measly 25mpg.
    Say 10,000 miles a year thats an extra 123 gallons of fuel you have to pay for.

Wait until this govt realises that they can tax emissions now that there is an NCT emissions test and verifiable emissions data from the motor companies. I predict 2 years tops. You'll be paying heavy for being able to drive over speed humps at 40.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

You're definitely on the ball there, considering the government currently gives commercial drivers a number of tax breaks. So obviously that will all change and they will be screwed. Or maybe not.

Any commercial vehicle that you see in Ireland is obviously within the rules. Those Pajero's are very common as commercial vehicles as far as I know. The Sport is supposed to be diabolical to drive, though. If you're into one of them, there's gotta be tons of them in Ireland given that Mitsubishis are very popular here.

Most of the importer web sites list the commercial variants so you can tell purty quickly which vehicles comply with the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a report on this somewhere on www.revenue.ie where manufacturers were tailoring vehicles to fit into the rules. Part of the rules had to do with wheelbase length (axel to axel).

The import you are getting may not be the same as the same model in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Here's what a girl in the VRO in Tallaght had to say :
    For Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) purposes, Car-derived vans, jeep-derived vans and certain other vans which have a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) below 2,520 kilograms OR a wheelbase below 2.45 metres will be classified as Category B vehicles (attracting a 13.3% VRT Rate). Such vehicles that exceed BOTH of these thresholds will be classified as Category C (attracting a EUR50 VRT flat rate).

Advertisement