Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me output my GFX card to my TV

• 18-10-2003 12:47pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Gainward Gi4200 (Ultra 650 TV model). I know it can output to my TV but all it comes with is a crummy cable about 15cm long with an output and input. The output has no connection for my TV but I'm sure you should be able to connect it to the SCART input somehow. Anyoe know what cables I may need and where I can get them? Maplin presumably, but they dear...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you do have S-Video in on your TV, it will most likely be under the front panel. If not you can pick up an S-Video to Scart adapter from Peats, Powercity, Curry's, etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's only got a SCART connection. One other thing I forgot to mention - the TV is a fair distance from the PC so I'd need about 10m of cable. How do I overcome this? Can you get long lengths of SCART cable extension? More importantly though, will the signal lose its integrity (the guy in Maplin seemed to think 10m would be pushing it into nothing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I bought a DVD to TV kit yesterday. All I really wanted was a long s-vid to s-vid cable but this pack includes:

A: s-vid to s-vid
    B: stereo 3.5mm mini-jack (PC sound out) to 2xPhono (left/right)
    C: phono to phono
    D: Scart adadptor which accepts the A & B cables above for TV-out & PC soundcard to Scart TV input. (Identical to the one linked in a previous post)
    All cables are quite long (about 6m) (and gold plated for 100xperformance boost :D)

The scart adaptor also accepts phono to phono and it can be switched from input to ouput (for recording TV on PC?)

All this for just €14.95 (local TV accesory shop in Bray)

I find the best picture (and least cable mess) using the s-vid to s-vid (4 pin connectors). My TV s-vid input is at the front under a hidden drop-down panel (Sony trinitron) as suggested by MrPink. P.S. The s-video input is always coloured yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Your gfx card as a tv-out in the form of an s-vhs connection. The small cable you got is a s-vhs to phono connector. If you only have a scart input - you can buy a scart block which will have either a s-vhs and 2 phono (audio) inputs, or with 3 phono (audio and video inputs). To use the audio you will need a headphone jack to phono cable.
    10M is long but you can get v. long cables - most good electronics stores should have a good selection. Try peats or maplin for example (if u are in Dublin). Also I think argos do a pc to tv kit (but most likely it won;t be long enough).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thanks davidwalsh - that's pretty much what the Maplin guy said and matches the product he showed me. He did talk about signal degredation over a long stretch of SCART cable but I'm not sure I can do much about that :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I wouldn't worry too much about signal degredation. If you want you could try buy slightly more expensive stuff - but i wouldn;t bother. The other option is a wireless video sender - type thing. Argos do a few of these, typically for sending digital tv around the house. I am unsure if these would be compatibale, however.

Advertisement