Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

college

• 18-10-2003 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

thought it was ment to be something brilliant but i'm not enjoying it at all, my timetable is such that i can't takepart in any of the activities i had planned to, basically after joiningg 8 societies i can't go to any. My fellow class mates seem like a pack of ****, only interested in sitting outside the pub drinking cans, and having a free ride through college, I'm neither interested or motivated to meet and talk to new people as they seem so completely different to moi, i.e. are total wasters, the work load is repressive and i'm finding it hard to concentrate. The matieral is strange and difficult, while the lecturers are boring and seem to have taken masters in making simple concepts very very difficult.

Basically i'm not enjoying this experience at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Trinity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Dont' worry man, its not as bad as it seems. When I started there last year, doing psychology, it was balls to the wall for me too. The statistics we were doing were like mad hard and the fact I couldn't get them in the beginning really crushed me. But I persevered, went to the lecturer etc. and got a hold of 'em in the end. THats what you should work on first - getting to grips with the course. Trust me, if you do, it'll stand to you later. As for the clubs and societies, well, I can only really speak about the Judo one (as I know you joined it!). They are working on changing the training times so that they'll suit more people. Have a chat with the trainers at your next class and tell them that your timetable sucks.
    As for your classmates being knobs - well......it can happen. There's over half of my class that I have absolutely nothing in common with and can't be bothered talking to. All I can recommend there would be to keep your own council and don't push things too far. Don't TRY to join, it'll just make you feel like a twat. Keep plucking away at the societies dude. You'll make better friends there, trust me. Most of my best mates in Trinity don't do the same subject as me. And remember, after xmas, the timetable changes so you could find yourself with much more social-friendly hours than this term.
    If all else fails, send me a PM and I'll meet see what I can do.

Went to judo, found it brilliant craic, I'm a very good judge of character and when ever i walk into a situation i hang back and find out who the muppets are, and all the lads there seemed quiet sound to me. Though after getting my timetable i realised id only be able to go once out of every four times, and i really didn't think that would be fair on anybody paired up with me as i wouldn't have a clue about moves and stuff.

I didn't know the timetable changed at christmas, but yea its hard going at the moment. I'm just trying to keep my head down and get the grips with things before everything just goes over my head. And the maths, its like not that its overly difficult it just that its completely contradicts what i've been thought before which is doing my head in. That o donovan lecturer is a wanker of the highest order, with his most of you will fail my course speach at the start of the year, really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

TP right? Algebra troubles?

Donal's a decent lecturer; after 3 years in the maths dept., I can safely say he's the best of a bad bunch.

He's trying to get you thinking in a way that's different to the poxy memory work they have you learning in school. He does this by constantly asking the class questions to encourage you to think, as opposed to having you sit there like a troglodite taking notes until two weeks before the exam when you **** yourself realising you don't understand a word.

I didn't like algebra either; I got 37% in first year, and 40% in the repeat. However, now I have free choice of whatever courses I want to do, his abstract algebra (311) course is my favourite of the bunch because each lecture is a challenge rather than some more poxy notes to ignore until later.

Deal with it. You came for a challenge, no?

RC

• Advertisement

I follow exactly what hes trying to do, but hes very confrontational about it

My fellow class mates seem like a pack of ****, only interested in sitting outside the pub drinking cans, and having a free ride through college, I'm neither interested or motivated to meet and talk to new people as they seem so completely different to moi, i.e. are total wasters,

I don't think the problem here is your classmates, but rather your whole attitude towards these people.

Does having fun is college make these people ****?

who asked you to reply,

hey man just trying to help you out here. Does that make me a wanker or something?

You need to lighten up imho

Maybe i was abite out of line; just I'm here trying to get the most out of this experience and i'm surrounded by people that are muppets and don't realise how lucky they are to be in the course. I mean if you wanted an easy ride why didn't you just go do an arts degree and leave the place open for someone who maybe actually wanted to achieve something.

I hate people who always curse through life doing as little as possible always aiming for that 40% and thinking anybody who actually puts in abite of work is a mug for doing so, and sure if they fail the year daddy will always pay for them to repeat the year. Thats all fine untill your sitting beside one of these wasters or partnered up with one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Boston
    who asked you to reply,

Please don’t transfer your bickering from After Hours to here.
    Boston this is a thread you opened in a public forum, everyone has the right to reply, but I will close this thread if it does not stay on topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

Don't be so uptight. Depending on the course, then the particular years exams may not be of the utmost importance.

College is a great place to be for many reasons. One of them is that you have the chance to become more educated and make something of yourself, as gay as that phrase is. Another is that it will make you lifelong friends. Another is that you can have an awful lot of fun times with those friends you possibly should be making now. Who wants to be in the slog of 9-5 and indeed beyond for their whole college life, and then go on to do the same in work? Not me. And if that makes me a waster then fine, I'd rather be a waster than someone who spent their whole college existence beavering away in the lecture hall/library for 12 hours a day and still didnt come out with the top marks in the class.

I missed a lot of lectures during my Arts degree due to drinking, going boxing or watching TV. Luckily my first two years exam results didn't mean a huge amount provided I passed them (this is an over-simplification but it'll do). I caught up and pulled my **** together a bit for my final year. I've had some great times with my group of mates (3 of my best mates I met on the first day of college, they were living in my apartment on the on-campus accom), and I regret none of it. Sure now I'm doing my LL.B I take things a bit more serious. Make an effort, but make time for the other side of life too. Study won't make you happy. Well most of it won't. Of course I am blessed with having mercifully few hours work in the day laid out, I have to do my own time reading etc. The basic facts remain the same.

When you graduate from college, it shouldn't be a huge sigh of relief you let out, but one of achievement and slight regret that you've left something behind you'll never experience again. Already looking ahead to next year when I'll be done I can't bear it. Make the time for Judo. Miss a class to go to it, catch up later. If you can't hack it on your own get the lecturer/tutor/fellow student to help you do it. You sound like you're getting off on the wrong foot with college. You're there to get an education, you're not there to lose your life to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

thought it was ment to be something brilliant but i'm not enjoying it at all, my timetable is such that i can't takepart in any of the activities i had planned to, basically after joiningg 8 societies i can't go to any. My fellow class mates seem like a pack of ****, only interested in sitting outside the pub drinking cans, and having a free ride through college, I'm neither interested or motivated to meet and talk to new people as they seem so completely different to moi, i.e. are total wasters, the work load is repressive and i'm finding it hard to concentrate. The matieral is strange and difficult, while the lecturers are boring and seem to have taken masters in making simple concepts very very difficult.

Basically i'm not enjoying this experience at all.

you sound just like the loner in my class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 (someguy)

hah tipptop
    and you're probably right seeing as this guy sounds like the most uptight antisocial person in there

only needing 40% (till your final year at least) is the beauty of college exams and if you're doing the course i think you're doing it definitely isn't as hard as you say. O donovan is probably the best lecturer you're gonna get - 1E2 is just one of the more complicated subjects

ease up why don't you Fr. Stone, who knows you might just have a bit of fun then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Make time for some extra-curricular activity, preferably something that will keep you fit and allow you to let off some steam a few evenings a week. You'll also get to know people through your chosen activity. Judo is probably a good bet.

Don't cut yourself off or isolate yourself from your classmates, remain approachable and friendly. Eventually I'm sure you'll find that some of your classmates are quite sound and are not the **** you might think they are at the moment. Some of them invariably will be **** you'll want nothing to do with, but don't tar them all with the same brush - they can't all be **** (statistical fact!), just give some of them a chance.

Just chill out and relax a bit.....and be yourself.

PS. Pay no attention to the unhelpful **** who have posted here. If you're not going to post advice don't post at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It is first year. You will find more wasters then most other years. They may pass... they may fail... daddy & mommy may pay for the repeats. Thats their own business. Its not your place to critisize their works ethic.

They might be the type who gets pissed once every week but for every other day they are swatting and getting the grades where it counts.

You said you were a great judge of character etc. Sat back in judo so you could pick the nobs out. If you go looking for something wrong with people you will find it. No offence but from what you are saying you sound like a bit of a nob. You dont like the way they might get on your back for doing any work... yet you get on their back for enjoying themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

First year is really tough, but its up to you to make it enjoyable and if you stick it out things will just get better and better. As others have said before all your classmates can't be ****. Even if you don't want to hang outside the pav and get wasted, try to get to know some of them and you might be surprised to find that there's more to them than meets the eye.

As for clubs and socs, if you can't go along to the ones you've joined than try having a look at some other clubs that you might join which would have better training times. There's so many clubs to choose from that surely you'll find something to suit.

If things don't improve than you may have to re-evaluate your course choice - lots of people find that they have chosen the wrong course and its all part of the learning experience. That said, its only been what? 3 weeks since you've started college., so its not surprising that you're swamped, lonely and discouraged. Some deps in Trinity have a nasty habit of piling work on, having crazy lecturers and long hours... lots of people have felt the way you do now, and they've got through it.

There's quite a few board members in trinity anyway, so you're not alone :)

Y'see Boston, about 3 more people here reckon you should hang in at the Judo. I do too. Make time for it, dude. Last year, when I was in my 1st year, I had to skip a lecture every thursday evening to do judo at 5pm. But $hit man, it was sooo worth it. I still talk to all the dudes from last year and go out on the razz with 'em too. Keep the judo up - trust me - they're the most down-to-earth guys you can meet in trinity.
    As for the boozers/junkheads in your class....as I said before, don't push yourself at them, that won't work. But you'll see that after a while they'll get bored of what they're doing and may decide to branch out and do something different. Maybe you can hang out with them then. Believe me, when winter rolls in, the last thing you want to do is sit on the steps of the pav drinking beer, you'll be frozen in no time.
    Oh yeah, I assume you've got some free time in the evenings? Try checking out the posters and stuff around the college that show the events happening for each society. Try going to some of these. The Sci-fi club usually show some class movies in the lecture theatres at night - go to that and then hang out with the guys afterwards. Spread your wings dude!!!
    And the halloween ball is coming up soon too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Boston I think you're judging everything here way too quickly.

You're judging your lecturer too fast, you mighten like his style but he knows what he is doing and will get you to learn stuff and understand it.

You're also judging your class way way too fast, if you want to look for **** in your class you will find them. Everybody is at some stage in the day/week a wanker, the thing is not to judge them on one thing. Also I dont see how you can possibly judge someone by standing back, why dont you interact with them instead, just because they're a wanker to someone else, doesnt mean they are a wanker.

You seem really resentful of all the people who are going out and having fun. Just because they go out doesnt mean they dont work at home. Some people study in the library, some people study at home. Some people dont have to study, they are naturally very bright. These people got the points to get into the course, they have as much right to be there as you.

College is not all about study/learning, it is about learning about yourself and what you want to do with yourself.

Me, Im having a really good time, in fact, probably too much fun, but Ill probably settle down soon enough with tutorials starting and projects to do. Boston you'd probably call me a waster, this week I've been out 3 times since Monday, but little would you know, Im studying and resting this weekend.

Also I find some people are only studying because they feel they should be not because they have to or want to.

Lighten up and stop judging people too quickly.
    P.s do judo.

why would i call you a waster sangre.

Maybe i should explain where i'm coming from, this week i was doing a lab and got hooked up with a total waster who basically sat back and chatted up all the girls around us while i did the experiments, when it came four o clock (the earliest possible time to leave) he pissed off home, and copied the results off someone who had finished quicker then myself. thats what i don't like, people trying to take me for a ride, or course the whole thing is going to back fire when me hand up to completely different sets of results. Also i've got a german lecture and the whole way through the last lecture the guys in my row where ripping the piss out of him cause of the way he talks, never mind the fact that he is actually pretty decent.

I've no problems with people sitting outside the Pav drinking cans, just if thats the way to make friends in college, then i'm not going to make to many friends. Just not my type of thing, i know that probably sounds unbelievably stuck up and snobish but i seriously have to watch myself where drink is concerned. I knew this would be an issue for me when i started college and basically everything surrounds drinking and getting drunk, maybe your right sangre, maybe i am resentfull toward those that do this, i often think that my life would be easier and i'd have more fun if i could

damnyanks: i can't help thats, its just the way i am when i first walk into a new situation i watch and pick up how people interact with each other, i notice the small things. Wouldn't be the first time that this approach has saved me allot of hassel in the past. Certainly i interacted, i had a great time at judo when i went but i knew what type of people i was dealing, maybe that sound sad to you but its something that comes naturally to me, i could no more stop doing it then you could stop hearing.

In order to attend judo i would have to skip a full three hour lab on tuesdays and a chemistry tutorial on thursdays, most people could afford to skip this but i have absolutely zero understanding for chemistry, and doubt i'll pass at the end of the year even with tutorials.

I don't know, maybe the problem is me, i just have a certain apathy at the moment, maybe its because i went from this bloke who every one knew in secondary school, to just another pleb. I'm also not the most approachable person ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Look for a Judo club outside of Trinity who train later in the evening that would be more suitable. I know this won't solve your problem with your course/classmates, but it will give you another outlet to meet new people, get fit, and relieve any stress etc....
    A good training session/class can be very invigorating and refreshing.

It seems to me that you are quite guarded when it comes to meeting new people, and you tend to treat them as enemies until they prove otherwise. You need to take the opposite approach. Let down your guard a bit and give people a chance. Show that you've a sense of humour and be willing to have a laugh with them.
    I'm also not the most approachable person ever.
    Make an effort to be more approachable - you'll end up happier in the long run.

Just my 2 cents.......

Aye, being stuck with a waster is a right pisser.

Why dont you try and pick your lab partner next time?
    Go hey I dont know you, Im yadda you got a lab partner, cause i sure dont...etc

PhoenixRising i did judo for a year before and found it really enjoyable, one of the reasons why i was so keen to join up this time around, but i don't know about doign it outside college, i'll definitely have a think about it. When the time table changes at christmas (if it does) the situation maybe better.

Your not wrong about me BTW, i'm extremely guarded around new people most of the time. Part of growing up where i did.
    Maybe i'm just paranoid but when your my size, look like i do, and talk like i do, you tend not to be the most approachable to the socailites.

Sangre: i shall have a new lab partner next time, do to the fact the demostrator came back early and copped my partner had pissed off, probably to the pub to be honest. I didn't rat him out or anything just the demo guy isn't stupid he noticed my partners work shy trates. I mean the wanker hadn't even bothered to read up the experiement in advance, and after waitign for him to read up on it he just sat there and tried to cop off with the girls beside us. Before anybody says the word jealous both girls spent more time talking to moi, and asking me how exactly to do the experiment .

Well if you're not approachable, approach people.

People are always much more open when they're starting college and trying to meet new people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I did General Science in Trinity with Physics and Maths for first and second year so I spent a good bit of time with the TPs. TP looked to be a tough, time consuming course and no mistake. And this is from someone doing Science which is no cakewalk. I also formed the impression that 90% of TPs are knobs. So I do sympathise.

But I reckon you've got your priorities all wrong and you desperately need to lighten up. First term of first year is all about making friends in your class, the science peeps who share some of them, in societies and with random people. Nobody needs to be making 100% of their lectures, you need to be keeping excellent labs (really prioitise this anyone who dicks with labs is fucked including the asshole you mentioned above), getting a hold of (photocopying) any lectures you miss (and don't be crappy about giving people your notes or helping with labs, everyone needs a hand sometimes you will too) and handing in good (not necessarily great) assignments.

If you can do all that you really are keeping up fine believe me. Save breaking your ass for final term thats what it's there for. The smart first year is the one who comes away with a grand II.2, no repeats, a bucket of new friends and a college life they're enjoying.

You seem to also have this arsehole attitude that everyone in Trinity is rich and that anyone who isn't wasting their first few months working they're guts out is a lazy fuck. You need to grow up and quickly. Not everyone with a southside accent is rich and someone having fun isn't neccesarily a waster. Even if your folks are wealthy it doesn't mean failing won't be a kick in the nuts for you. I'm from Navan, if I went to Trinity with the sort of prejudices you have I would have missed out some of the best friends and experiences I'm likely to have in this life.

You seem to really want to succeed. Thats good I suppose. Two of my best drinking buddies and fellow lecture skippers got foundation scholarships in second year and Firsts in their degree. You need to work very hard to do that well, it doesn't mean you have to miss out on the good parts of college.

Anyone who is in your course is there on merit and deserves it as much as you. Have a little respect.

Make a effort to go for a couple of pints with people. If you have trouble with the booze just don't drink that much it's the social aspect of it thats important not the getting pissed bit.

You're in college to learn, hopefully more than just academic stuff. If someone has a different outlook on life to you, try and understand it, experience it, learn from it. Don't just consider them wrong and yourself right. Life doesn't work that way.

Anyways good luck Boston. I had the time of my life in Trinity I hate to see someone not getting the most out of it.

I don't have that attitude that everyone is rich in trinity, but again having talked to a repeat student where the whole conversation revolved around how pissed drunk he got/was/will be it didn't make a good impression. AS for me its not that i can't handle it, its that i don't like it at all and well if i have to be legless to talk to people whats the bloody point.

I hear what your saying dappergent, and part of me knows that if i don't get a decent balance between the social life and study, i wont survive college at all, ill burn out. Buts its hard when every lecture is going completely over your head and you haven't a clue where to begin,

Ran into a guy i knew from school last firday week who ended up in trinity as well, asked me if i got in, then asked why i hadn#t been to any of the balls or parties, i couldn't give him an answer

I don't have that attitude that everyone is rich in trinity, but again having talked to a repeat student where the whole conversation revolved around how pissed drunk he got/was/will be it didn't make a good impression.
    Why does this bother you so much? This person is an asshole, forget about them. Don't take him personally. Some people fail for very good reasons, some for bad. Some people's folks pay for it no questions asked, some people take out loans and work their ass off to pay them back. None of that inherently makes them people you should be digusted by.
    AS for me its not that i can't handle it, its that i don't like it at all and well if i have to be legless to talk to people whats the bloody point.
    Alchohol is a social lubricant. It makes people more confident and more likely to open up and talk. It makes for a good chat and helps people make friends. It's fun. In large quantities it makes people puking assholes with no sense of manners or decorum.

Thats booze use it for what it's good for. I'm not trying to be mean when I say that maybe you could use a little bit of social lubrication. Most people do. Thats why alchohol is popular.
    I hear what your saying dappergent, and part of me knows that if i don't get a decent balance between the social life and study, i wont survive college at all, ill burn out. Buts its hard when every lecture is going completely over your head and you haven't a clue where to begin,
    You will burn out, or you'll get so pissed off you'll quit. The stuff will get easier believe me. If you've been to a lecture it's in your head somewhere and that'll stand to you when you need it.

There's also no point it trying to understand stuff in a vacuum. Try getting out the exam papers for the bits you're having trouble with. What are you really supposed to be understanding? Doing exam questions breaks the monotony as well.

Lectures are likea sideline for lectures they're never going to put too much effort into them. Read the set texts on the areas. Ask around, find THE best book (there's always one), don't spend too much time in the library though. Just chip away and stuff a bit at a time. Save your effort for labs and assignments until Trinity term anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

quickly read through thread, CHERnobyl and tiptop you are both on ball. i just dont think the rest of the ("daddys credit card") posters appreciate the irony of yer posts!

BUT I DO HEHEHE

Originally posted by John Player
    quickly read through thread, CHERnobyl and tiptop you are both on ball. i just dont think the rest of the ("daddys credit card") posters appreciate the irony of yer posts!

BUT I DO HEHEHE

Hope you're not tarring me with the same brush Mr. Player. I work two part-time jobs to keep my ass in trinity. But I do still have a life at the same time so it can be done.
    I think that Boston has some serious work to do though, not just on his course but also on his people skills. The guy needs some help IMHO.

• Advertisement

My people skills are just find xx, can't really judge them over the internet. I don't believe for one second that everyone of you walked into trinity and within the first two weeks everything was going great and you knew everyone. I look around my class and i see allot of people in a similiar situation, scared confused and intimidated by it all. Just because i'm having some difficulty getting to grips with this new experience, i'm being labeled a social retard here. This is an experience thats ment to change my life of the course of four years, now i don't really think its that unexpected that it doesnt work 100% for the start. Its abite of a transition and i'll just have to give it time. After thinking last night i realised that this was much the same case when i started secondary school, but the story was far different by the time i left. I doubt that i'll get along with most people in my class, simply because we seem to have different priorities as dappergent put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 (someguy)

you sound like you're not smart enough for your course. the lectures at the beginning go slow and deal with the easy stuff. maybe this is where the dummies who did well in their leaving cert just by studying and not through genuine intelligence are exposed

Originally posted by (someguy)
    you sound like you're not smart enough for your course. the lectures at the beginning go slow and deal with the easy stuff. maybe this is where the dummies who did well in their leaving cert just by studying and not through genuine intelligence are exposed
    Did you do TP? You certainly sound like it.

a i understand, unless everything makes perfect sense right off the bat it never will and i should quiet two weeks into the course, yea thats definitly smart. I agree with Dappergent you sound like your a TP and a member of the 90%. I'd hate to have a confidence problem with people like you around.

I don't believe for one second that everyone of you walked into trinity and within the first two weeks everything was going great and you knew everyone.

Erm...for me this was sort of the case. Went to the freshers ball on the 1st week and bumped into one or two people from my class and got on cool with them. Then after my first Aikido class, I went for a coffee with a girl I had met in there and we had 'fun'. Don't get me started on the Judo though - after one class, we all vowed to go on the rip together and the following week we certainly did.
    Now, I know what this probably sounds like to you - he met them all when he was out drinking or something. It may sound like that, but in situations like going to college sometimes you have to reach people on the lowest common denominator, which in Ireland usually means going out for a few drinks with them. I guess you could say that there is a good bit of give and take in it.
    But seriously, you're only finished week 2. I didn't really mix with the rest of my class until the following term in january. You'd be surprised what that xmas break can do for you - helps you put things in perspective.
    But as I said in my first post on this thread - get the college work sorted first. If you're not sure about anything, go an see your tutor or the lecturer in charge of the subject. These people are usually very different outside the lecture theatre's so don't think for a second that they're going to give you a rollicking or anything. Getting the course work under yer belt is paramount. When the reports and assignments start coming, you'll be glad you did.
    But do try to make time for some clubs and societies. If you can't do Judo, then get in touch with the Kenpo class instead. Their training timetable is a bit more flexible than the judo guys. And I heard that the Yoga classes are a bit of a laugh too.
    But if $hit is really getting to you man, drop me a PM and I'll meet ya for a coffee or something. You'd be amazed how relaxing walking around the campus with a coffee in your hand can be :)

see i missed allot of that freshers week stuff due to hanging around with a pair that didn't want to do anything and just headed home at around 11 each day. Only found the SU stand on wednesday and by then i'd missed most stuff. I don't know this thread has helped me certainly, feeling abite better about monday now. Still have allot of organising to do though, taking notes and keeping them in order seems to be quiet difficult.

Have to say twoards the end of last week it was getting abite easier, the tutorials i found pretty decent. I've decided to stick with the Squash society, they don't seem as down to earth as the Judo guys, but there timetable is better. Might pick up Judo after christmas if the timetable premits? do they let new people join that late in the year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

do an arts degree and leave the place open for someone who maybe actually wanted to achieve something.

fukc you.

i'm in 1st arts ucd and its not too easy. as a person doing arts, i have accepted that at the age of 18, i'm not totally sure what i want to do with the rest of my life, so i've decided to "educate" myself further. does this mean i dont want to achieve something??? tosser.

I.m not goint to get into this with you, as it happens i'm doing a BA myself. Just making the point that if someone wants to act like they havea 9 hour week, then an arts degree is the place to go.

Thats is destinct from saying all arts degree are easy and all arts degrees are 9 hours a week. Why don't you wait for me to actually insult you before you take offence

well then why did you say that bit i quoted:confused:

anyway, i'm having the EXACT same problem as you in ucd, it sucks balls. i have loads of my old friends from school but am finding it impossible to meet new people. and yes i've joined a few socs.

I'm not saying arts degrees are an easy ride, merely saying your more likely to find one (an easy ride) by doing doing one.

ferdi its its like i have this core group of friends i grew up, that for the most part i've known sicne i was around four/five, its hard to make new friends when the friends you have know you so well. There confort staying within that little bubble

bingo, but how to break the cycle?

• Advertisement

if i knew then i wouldn't have a problem. Also i feel more confortable not drinking around them in a social setting, where as if your with new people and your nothing drinking, people kinda think, whats his problem.

i hardly ever drink properly these days either but i dont find that stops me doing stuff. i think its that i'm shy or something

Pffft dont insult those art degrees Boston, because whethter you meant to are not it sounded like you did.

The Arts people I know have so much more work then me and my points were much higher, go figure.

Well my college life is a basic continuation of my Secondary school, I get off one stop earlier from the bus. Between Roebuck castle and the quinn school (beside eachother) there are 20 ppl from my year, with 5 people in my degree.

hmm so basically you went to college with 20 People you knew and five in the same course as you, little wonder then you where out three times last week, only time i was out so far was with my old school friends.

sangre, where did you go to school?

Oh no dont get me wrong, most of the people I go out with are from my course and usually from the country.

I honestly find it is easier to get to know new people with a group of core friends because none of us are shy. Basically its like a small circle getting bigger and bigger with everyone going, hey sangre do you know yadda yadda, with everyone introducing new people to their friends.

Btw I dont hang around with those 20 people, I just know they're there, and can easily stop and talk to them if i see them. I also think there is around another 20 doing arts :/.

I went to Michael's ferdi.

its easy once you get into a group of people for hte group to expand and therefore oyu group of friends to expand, harder when your on your tod

Thats my point, why dont you make friends with one person really well and work from there?

Originally posted by Sangre
    Thats my point, why dont you make friends with one person really well and work from there?

cause usually it takes longer then two weeks for me to call anybody a friend.

Then lie to yourself and go through life a shallow self absored person...hey, its worked for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement