Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

college

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

its all easier said then done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

With that attitude maybe.

Say this to yourself, tomorrow Im going to introduce myself to everyone I see basically, if you sit beside someone ask them their name and where their from etc..
    Its always fun trying to remember people's names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Sangre
    Its always fun trying to remember people's names.

only when you are drinking :)

That reminds me of a very funny story when I was drunk. I spent the whole night telling this girl how I wouldn't forget her name. You can guess what happened the next day, she refused to tell me her name then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I would reply to that post with a LOL! but it would be wildly off topic :)

Persih the thought Kaimera, perish the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Spend less time on the internet/moping and try and meet people, alcohol isn't essential. It ain't gonna do any good continuing to give out about your problems here

thought i already posted this but anywho here it goes again

Little update: realised one major difference between trinity and an all boys catholic school today... the number of attractive women flooting about the place. Whats more tall dark and msyterious seems to be attractive to them, (yea i don't understand it either) on top of that they seem to think i'm smart, basically because i haven't been killing myself to say stupid thinks every five minutes, to every good damn person i meet. Still think most the class or ****, but the women are a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

Originally posted by Boston
    thought i already posted this but anywho here it goes again

Little update: realised one major difference between trinity and an all boys catholic school today... the number of attractive women flooting about the place. Whats more tall dark and msyterious seems to be attractive to them, (yea i don't understand it either) on top of that they seem to think i'm smart, basically because i haven't been killing myself to say stupid thinks every five minutes, to every good damn person i meet. Still think most the class or ****, but the women are a different story.

You appear to be a pretentious know-it-all with a superiority complex.

Im not surprised to find that you don't have many people in your life to call friends.

• Advertisement

is thats because i'm better then everyone? anywho what type of person needs to attack others over the internet when they talk about theirproblems, in order to feel important or better. I bet next time theres a thread about suicide you will call the person an attention whore? here you are after reading what? a handfull of posts! making asumptions about my life, what kind of person i am. You haven't a clue about me yet that doesnt stop your inflated ego from having an opinion.

what eactly gave you the impression i don't have many people in my life i call friends. Must of skipped over the post where i talked about my core group of friends and how i was in secondary school, when you where making your indepht analises of my character? I'm not one of those people who makes friends on a wim,a friend is someone i can depend on and someone that i'll be there for if they need someone to depend on. That to me is more then a drinking buddy, i've plenty of those if needed.

Btw i don't mind people offering opinions, if i did i wouldn't have posted this, but i'm not going to get abused just because i'm abite of an intravert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

attractive women flooting about the place... Whats more tall dark and msyterious seems to be attractive to them, (yea i don't understand it either)....on top of that they seem to think i'm smart,.... Still think most the class or ****, but the women are a different story.
    so your attractive to all the girls in your year who dig your tall dark mysterious ways and who think your smarter than the tosser guys in your year......oh now i see your problem:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

me will leave a chisel behind here

when i came to that realisation all of a sudden my problems seemed allot less. Took me by as much surprise as anybody else. Not saying i am smarter then anyone, just i haven't been saying stupid random things to these girls like most of the lads seem to be(haven't been saying much to anyone}. Also the fact that when my lab parnter was trying to chat up these very same women, they where talking to me asking me how to do the experiments. They also think my lab partner is a muppet.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

this thread is over, Boston go get laid by all those fine ass bitches in your year.

Thats the plan, who needs friends when you have "fine ass bitches" :) This thread has helped me no end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Thats the plan, who needs friends when you have "fine ass bitches" :) This thread has helped me no end.

Now thats using yer fooking head ;)
    Problem solved....I hope. We'll have no more whinging out of you now Boston, y'hear :)

Nothing like abite of motivation to "interact" with your fellow class mates ;)

In all seriousness thought i'm starting to get on top of the work load, things don't seem that difficult anymore, and that o donovan chap is making allot more sense. Chemistry is still all muck to me, but at this stage i dont give a fuk, cause i plan on dropping it anyway next year. Physics and eng Sci are basically covering the same stuff at the moment, which is all based on applied maths so i'm happy, and computer science " this is a computer millarky"

Still abite pissed about Judo though, Recon i could join up after christmas if the timetable changes xx? Discovered today that tuesdays may infact work for me to go to judo. If i'd be able to make three out of four, not bad? can you be late for it.

should probably take to Pm at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Boston, one question, where did you arrive in Trinity from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

should probably take to Pm at this stage.

Just sent you one

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    Boston, one question, where did you arrive in Trinity from?

If i take it you mean what secondary school: North inner city dublin school known for its fair share of roughness. In my class there where drug dealers joy riders, alcoholics (loads) and a murderer or two. I got on fine with most of them, including one of the lads serving life in mounthjoy at the moment.

Thinking about this now, its probably the reason i never went out drinking with class mates, I mean i could tell you stories on some very dodgy stuff they got up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Well by getting to Trinity in the first place you are breaking the cycle man, congrats.

I guess you probably won't be mixing with a similar crowd now and that maybe takes some getting used to. On the other hand while the many of the general student body in Trinity particularly can be real stuck up assholes there will inevitably be a few gems in the pack, and you'll find them sooner or later.

Adjusting to college takes a serious effort for most people and can be quite stressful especially if you don't have the comfort factor of school classmates with you etc. However be aware that the dross has usually been washed away by end of first year. Gen science is a notoriously tough course, a brave choice boston.

I guess what I 'm saying is it is probably the same or similar for the majority of your class - just nobody is showing it, but rest assured most are thinking it. I found lectures and general college work quite inappropriate for striking up conversations but I found labs an excellent way of getting to know the people in your class. My tip, find one of the better tutors (MSc & phD students in my day) and become friends. They usually build up a decent circle among first years and have more pull with the lecturers than you might think.

The social side of college life will sort itself out in due course, don't sweat it man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

Boston, are u in second year tp?
    Personally i found that at the start of second year, it was easier to make friends as everyone seems more relaxed. Anyone else find that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Whats more tall dark and msyterious seems to be attractive to them

Must be why they have no interest in you.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

Anyone feel like their been left behind by their friends who arent in college!

like one has he s own car another has a baby(not sayin im lookin for that) but it seems their lifes seem to be moving on but mine seems to the same thing over and over as if i ve been in education since i was 5?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Don't worry Farlo!!

you'll piss on their material items when you finish college and get a job that requires third level qualifications.

It must be great for them to have some okay money in their hand while they are 18-20 but wait until they are 27 and looking for a home with the same money.

Atleast you'll have a better prospect then them after college.

yeah but isnt life ment to be lived when your young, ah your right, its worth in the long run!

It's not a competition you muppet clownboy, and Im pretty sure you missed the point of his post altogther.

I think he feels left out of these new lives which are moving forward, while he is still in education.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

And a degree doesn't mean all that much anyway.

Especially your arts degree kif.

• Advertisement

ah your scaring me now! i think education means you can sit on your ass and do your job instead of having to do manual labour, but only the people who are realy good at it make the big bucks!

Especially your arts degree kif.
    yip.

Originally posted by Farlo
    ah your scaring me now! i think education means you can sit on your ass and do your job instead of having to do manual labour, but only the people who are realy good at it make the big bucks!
    I think that's a load of bollocks.

It's not a competition you muppet clownboy, and Im pretty sure you missed the point of his post altogther.

I think he feels left out of these new lives which are moving forward, while he is still in education.

You're the muppet!! I'm just expressing a view on his post.

He started the post by making reference to his mate having a car and settling in to a working environment.

I'm saying that looking at their material items is a waste of time and that he can achieve more by staying in college and getting a qualification.

I'm not saying he'll make big bucks but would be more job wise secure, hopefully.

Plus i know people who are in full-time employement who wish they were back in college.

Enjoy college Farlo and realise it could be the best years of ya life!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sangre & clownboy - stick to giving helpful advice
    and quit flaming each other :rolleyes:
    if you can't do that, then just don't post in here

B

Originally posted by kif
    I think that's a load of bollocks.
    why? give a reason!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Farlo
    why? give a reason!

don't start
    either of you
    B

sorry i just want to why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Originally posted by clownboy
    you'll piss on their material items when you finish college and get a job that requires third level qualifications.

It must be great for them to have some okay money in their hand while they are 18-20 but wait until they are 27 and looking for a home with the same money.

Atleast you'll have a better prospect then them after college.

My Borther, who is a plumer, Has an hourly rate any doctor would be proud off. That said he did go to bolton street, and did get fully qualified in his field, the ratio of Qualified plumers to Blokes without a clue calling themselves plumers is about 1:10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You want to meet new people? Come to the Phil or the Hist.
    I dont like the phil as much but I think the hist is really cool, has a great mix of people, just come in and have a chat with people there, everyones really friendly.

What I did on the 2nd day of lectures was went down to the front of the room after a lecture and shouted up that if anyone in my course wanted to go get to know each other to come down to the front, then we all went to get lunch.

Also just because people are taking it easy and relaxing in the Pav or the buttery all the time, doesn't mean they are wasters. YOu're in college now, you should realise that people need to do different things to do well. I have three friends in courses that I know could sit around on the grass all day drinking and would still get firsts in their courses.

You give out about people judging you over the internet but you inturn judge people in real life without ever really knowing them or who they are.

You gotta lighten up and enjoy college, its you're reward for the crapness of the 6th year. 1st and 2nd year doesnt matter much once you pass it, then you can work your ass off in third and 4th year when it actually matters.

Anyway, come to the hist.

Originally posted by Skanger
    My Borther, who is a plumer, Has an hourly rate any doctor would be proud off. That said he did go to bolton street, and did get fully qualified in his field, the ratio of Qualified plumers to Blokes without a clue calling themselves plumers is about 1:10

thats cool man. I'm totally up for people better themselves. One of my mates was working as a labourer and getting good money but i convinced him to do a apprenticeship as a chipper.

In this bad econmic times, having experience is great but without a qualification can be damaging.

I've notting against manual labour if you get that impression. Apprenticeships these days are moderatered very strictly and graded.

Doctors usually get **** wages for awhile after finishing college. i remember reading the work life cycle for doctor and how when he gets taken on in a surgery or something is when his wages are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

PHB is spot on. And the hist people are bang on, and they have nice comfy couches to sit around on during lectures. Id also agree with most of everything DapperGent said, except the thing about TP's. Most of the 1st year TP's this year seem to be dead sound blokes. (BTW, It's easy to spot the TP's, theyre the people in the buttery at lunchtime, sitting in an alcove at the back, crowded around a table covered in papers, trying to make sense of the homework due in for next lecture)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

dude, you remind of the horror movies where they brainwash students, so they can be like you, eeeer i'm a robot, no fun, only study, eeer i don't have friends but i have a computer, eeer... i don't have a girlfriend but i have a right hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

absolutely zero understanding for chemistry, and doubt i'll pass at the end of the year even with tutorials.

Boston glad things are going better for you now in college. I found things tough in first year also, generally getting to know people and stuff. Anywho if your struggling with chemistry give me a shout and i can give a few grinds no bother. you say you've zero understanding for chemistry, did you not do it for the leaving cert? if not i'd say its tough to pick up first year in college. offers open if ya want it.

cheers

data

Advertisement