Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging on XP

Options
  • 18-10-2003 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hiyas - here's the story..
    I've a wired and wireless card both running on an XP box. I've bridged them (auto configed with ip of 192.168.0.1). Problem is the wired card is routable, ip traffic passes along nicely, but with the wireless card, running in adhoc mode, is not routable and pings from my ipaq timeout even though netstumbler shows the network available and signal strength is good. Any ideas on what could be goin wrong here?

Dizz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Have you applied all the service packs and windows updates to your xp box, there was a whole load of issues with bridging different types of networks when XP first came out, including slowing all network connections to the speed of the slowest bridged connections. There was some amusing cases of people getting only 128k over a 100mbit lan connection. Secondly, do you need to bridge? can you use ICS instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Yea all service packs applied. Yea need a bridge otherwise got a case of mutual exclusion with ICS. Enable ICS for the wired lan, no access for wireless clients and vice versa. Having said it does work when only one adapter is enabled, with ICS turned on it and the bridge removed.

<edit> forgot to mention all adapters need access to a PPP adaptor, hence necessiating the use of ICS and bridging, methinks</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Id say it's the wireless card not entering Promiscuous Mode, have a look at this astrivle you can force it into action.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302348

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The first link on the FAQ sticky is www.wown.info

In it you will find out how to get true IP routing in 98/2K/XP as an alternative to ICS which tends to be a bit flaky if you try anything non standard. NT has a button to turn on IP routing.

You could also download the Routing and Remote access sw from M$ site but that's another load of grief unless you have a very specific requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Ta for the pointers guys - feck ICS! grabbed winroute lite and I'm sorted now :)

Cheers

Dizz

• Advertisement
Advertisement