Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access

Options
  • 18-10-2003 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have an Access database.
    There are two files.
    One contains the fontend and runs on
    client machines and the other contains the backend and runs on a share on a server.
    This is fine when the access frontend
    is run from the LAN.

I am not on that LAN and need to make
    alterations to the database - how would
    I change where access is looking for that linked table from within the frontend file?
    All i get when I try to run the program is an error saying it cant find file //blah/path.

Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Replace blah with localhost or 127.0.0.1, and make sure your path is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There's a few ways of doing it, but it all depends on *how* the systems are seperated. Are you using linked tables, or is there just code in the UI-mdb to access the data-mdb programatically?

One option, which I use when I take work stuff home, is to add entries to my windows hosts file, so that any network names I need to connect to are mapped to the local machine itself (127.0.0.1) so I don't need to reconfigure any of the code.

If thats not a runner....

For linked tables, you can bring up the properties of teh table and edit it for each table. Me, I'd write a little "reattach tables" routine, which iterates though the tables collection and checks the connection string for each. If it is identifiable as a linked table, you just rewrite the connection info to what you want it to be..and voila.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

AS Bonkey pointed out there are a few ways of doing it, we'd need to know more about how the link is setup.

Why not just use the linked table manager in access to relink to a local copy of the data (depending on your version of Access it should be on the tools menu somewhere). This means of course that you'll have to relink it to the proper data when you move the frontend back onto the LAN.

Another method would be to recreate the path on your local machine as Bonkey described.

Advertisement