Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSl not aon all the time ?

Options
  • 18-10-2003 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

A friend just got Eircom DSL (I use Netsource). I am confused however because when I was at his house and we were going on line with Internet Explorer he was still getting the modem connection dialog window which then connected him. This happend several times over the couple of days I visited last week.

Is this normal ?

Also his LAN Network icon (two PCs) shows "8mbps" on mopouseover. Does this mean it's a one meg service ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

PPPoE simulates a dial-up connection and so it is possible to configure IE to make a connection when it is started and then terminate the connection when IE terminates.

I know this can be done if using the RASPPPoE client as this creates a DUN file similar to dial-up or ISDN.

Most people just connect when they start the computer and then leave it on.

The 8mbps probably means nothing. I don't think there's any reporting from the modem to the computer as to the speed connected.

Advertisement