Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony DAVDS1000

Options
  • 18-10-2003 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

What do people think of this sytem? It costs for €4,000 and has wireless rear speakers.

Speakers need to be silver.

Trying to figure out the best home cinema / music solution and numbers of systems really driving me nuts. Have to sort out quickly as it is for a new house and I want to do the wiring as part of laying the floors !!!

Thks

Buzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Looks fairly sweet but its just not worth it, buy seperates. €4000 will buy you an amazing set up, and you would still have to plug in both of those back "wireless" speakers I would see if you can get hollow skirting to feed the wires through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

check PM..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Martin, why don't you post your advice so everybody can see?

Buzz, the Sony system is not worth the €4000 imo. You really could put together a fantastic system yourself by spending a bit of time researching and listening to stuff. Call into somewhere like Cloney Audio and ask them to let you listen to €4000 worth of home cinema kit. Within 30 seconds you will have forgotten all about the Sony!

You mention that the speakers have to be silver. Is there any other considerations? Do the speakers have to be small/hidden? What sort of room is it? Will the system be used for music as well as movies? What attracted you to the Sony system?

Try to post as much info as you can and we can try to reccomend suitable stuff. How long do you have before the floor goes down to get the cable in?

Robbie

Hi Robbie
    He approached me in private so I kept it private.
    Anyway, I think for that money he can get a great HT setup way way better than that Sony system.

Another thing is that I recommended him not to make any move until the Hi-Fi Show - there will be a huge selection to compare, not to mention the special show prices....:D

For more details check my signature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Thks All,

Martin is right - I sent him a PM as I had an earlier post some weeks ago.

I'm really all over the place on this - I have very limited knowledge of sound systems.

I only want to spend what I need to.

The room is about 20 ft X 13ft. I want to install the surround sound now with the floors etc - that way I can hide virtually all of the wires to the speakers.

They need to be silver for a simple reason - the boss says so !

I am hoping to add a nice TV later (plasma if i'm REALLY lucky)

Also want to listen to music.

I came across 2 other systems - the sony DAVS 880 and 888 at €999 /€1299 and also a Philips LX8000 (multi Region) at €749 in richersounds.

Any advice welcome

Buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Hi Buzz,

Well firstly, there's a big difference between wanting to spend €749 and wanting to spend €4000! You did say that you would spend what you needed to, which is good, and I'm sure Martin has already advised you against purchasing an 'all in one' system like the Sony and Philips systems you mentioned.

I'm going to presume that your silver speakers are required to be relatively discreet too, to keep the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) high. Besides, there aren't too many silver finished floorstanding speakers around that are worth their salt.

Also, if there is a possibility you could end up with a plasma or something similar, make sure you purchase a DVD player with component video out. This will give you a chance to get the best possible picture out of your TV when the time comes.

So rather than saying the usual 'listen to it first and trust your ears' routine, I'm going to just jump in there and reccomend 2 specific systems. Both of these systems I have installed in my time and both sound superb. Plus they were really neat, discreet systems when installed.

Option 1:
    KEF KHT2005.2 5.1 speakers
    Pioneer VSX-D1011S AV Amplifier
    Pioneer DV-656A DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player
    Total (approx, including cables, interconnects etc): €3050

Option 2:
    Gallo Acoustics 5.1 speakers
    Arcam AVR200 AV Amplifier
    Arcam DV88+ DVD Player
    Total (approx, cables etc): €5000

Well, there's my 2 cents! Feel free to criticise my selections! And keep us posted, Buzz, on how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

If your heart is really set on the DAVDS1000, I came accross it here AJ Electronics for about €2,800 (incl VAT, not delivery though)

I agree with Robbie.
    Regarding "silver speakers" with a high WAF, you might want to look at these

Robbie,

Any suggestions on where to buy? Peats etc?

Also - I was told that music through a surround sound system sounds "funny" - is this true?

Cheers
    Buzz

Martin,

Nice speakers - could you tell me price and the rest of the set-up?

I tried to register on your site - but it will not e-mail the password !!

Same as here Buzz_Irl.

Thks
    Buzz

• Advertisement

Buzz
    see PM

Advertisement