Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dismantling Corsa dash?

Options
  • 18-10-2003 7:38pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Some of the backlights in my Corsa have blown. The backlights are the ones behind the heater knobs on the centre console.

The lights unfortunately are not behind the knobs themselves but seem to be higher up so I would need to remove entire black fascia. I had found 2 screws in the ashtray compartment and ones where the clock is but the fascia still refuses to come free.

Anyone here familiar with replacing these bulbs? Also, are the replacement bulbs easily bought?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which Corsa model (year) is it? On many cars you have to pull the heater control knobs off and then undo a nut behind each knob which secures electric circuit board, behind which is access to the bulbs which can be plucked out.

Does that sound possible?

The bulbs are proberly 1.5 watt items availible from any motor factors or main dealer.

Go out and buy a Haynes manual for your car they're about 25 euro and its money well spent.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hi Mike

Thanks for answering! It's a 1995 Corsa.

There are 2 screws behind the side-side knob above the stereo. There doesn't; seem to be any nuts behind the heat control knobs. If I pull them off, I can barely glimpse at the bulbs above.

I was hoping to avoid forking out €25 for a Haynes manual! But maybe I've no choice in the matter

I had one until last June! Some of the panel bulbs had
    blown but I never got round to fixing them and when I sold the car I sold the manual with it...

Mike.

byte

Awh that's a pity! Ah well, I hope to fix it soon, with the long nights getting longer! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hows the Merc driving Mike ?

• Advertisement

See the Big Barg update tinofapples! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

To remove the dash in a 96 Astra, you have to remove the 2 directional air vent's and behind these are 2 screw's which should help.

Bigtimecharlie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Byte,

Can you borrow the Haynes Corsa manual from you public library ?

Cant help on the dash removal apart from suggesting one of the sites that you already have links to. Its a nightmare to take a Vectra-A dash apart & get it back together without breaking anything. Hope the Corsa is easier

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

byte

Originally posted by bigtimecharlie
    To remove the dash in a 96 Astra, you have to remove the 2 directional air vent's and behind these are 2 screw's which should help.

Bigtimecharlie

I could try that, if I can figure out how to remove the air vents!

There are 2 screws where the ashtray is also. And I think that there are 2 screws under the part that holds the clock display. Dunno how to remove that either! :rolleyes:

On top of that now, I also want to change the aerial as reception sucks, and one of the wing mirrors doesnt turn by using the knob inside the door! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

As would have to be:

My first cousin has a99 Corso with the heater control back light's not working. So I removed the 2 screw's behind the side-side knob. Using a torch, I was able to see the 2 screw's behind the air vent's. But the vent's would not come off in the way I expected. So i slid a long narrow philip's head screwdriver and loosened the screw's.

The dash then slipped out with a bit of effort. The heater control cable's were preventing complete removal but with a bit of movement we were able to look at the rear of the dash but could not locate any bulb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think's a Hayne's manual is the only thing left to allow the procedure to be completed. It's likely that the bulb's are located internal to the dash and not at the rear.

byte

oh boy!

I'm assuming the 99 Corsa is the same interior as my 95.

You have got as far as removing the console. Behind is the heater control cables and the electric wires. the back is white, but above where the heater knobs are there is a black strip that goes something like this
    _____,
    ,______

That black strip is awkward to remove due to the tight space (awkward to replace too), but this carries 3 bulbs which light the heater knobs, etc.

BTW, As far as I remember, to remove the 2 air directional vents, you've to point them in a downward direction (or upward, one or the other) and then prise them out with a screwdriver.

Advertisement