Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop connecting to god knows where

Options
  • 19-10-2003 12:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm updating a Win2K laptop for a client at the moment via my LAN, which is in turn connected to a DSL connection. I thought Windows Update or my DSL connection was running slow but it turns out the laptop is using the connection on its own and hogging the bandwidth. It's possible it's something innocent because the computer used to be on a large corporate network, however I can't think of a simple way to find out where it's connecting to and what for. Any tips? I've disabled antivirus and the like, so it's not those autoupdating.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I know this is probably waay too obvious but could the laptop have the msblaster virus on it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Have you tried dropping a copy of Ethereal (packet sniffer) (Need winPcap too) on it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try Windump - though you may have to turn off the firewall for it to work in XP
    Windump -D .......to list interfaces
    Windump -i 1 ....... list interface one
    Windump -i 1 broadcast .... to look at broadcasts
    http://windump.polito.it/misc/bin/

(Windump also uses winPcap too)

I found this...
    00:59:39.368842 #####.1028 > ########.53: 12+ A? toolbarqueries.google.com. (43)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

someone else had a problem earlier in the week (and I had it a few months ago) ...windows update set to automatic download .... and it might be setup to ask you do you want to install or it might install them at a predetermined time ... sneaky fecker of a thing ... my wife was playing withthe settings one day and turned it on .... off it went downloading service pack 4 etc etc ... it did ask before installing though .. but I was scratching my head before it popped up, I could see activity on the leds on the switch and it was the only thing turned on, but there was nothing running on it .... had me stumped for a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Not Blaster anyway. Be a hoot if it was Windows Update, but I have it turned off. Running Housecall...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Found Nachia. Feckin do-gooder white hats using my bandwidth...

Advertisement