Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pda advice

• 19-10-2003 3:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ìm looking for a PDA, nothing too fancy, or expensive.
    i dont care about internet or e-mail, i wont be using it for that, but i do need a good contact book on it, word, maybe even mp3, does anyone know of a good model that isnt too basic but isnt ultra expensive either? also, what brand is best?

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if you want a Microsoft based Pocket PC device the HP 1930 would be a good one to take a look at, or the entry level Dell Axim X3 when it is launched over here (or their current entry X5 but it's a bit on the big side...) - has Pocket Word (basic functionality) and Windows Media for music playback - syncs well with Outlook too (if that's the contact manager you use)

if you want go with Palm OS based device then you might want to look at a PalmOne Zire 71 or a mid-range Sony Clie model - no native 'Word' editor in PalmOS but DataViz 'Documents To Go' is sometimes bundled depending on the vendor - and it's available for purchase if not

which ever you go with make sure to do a price check against the likes of www.expansys.com - they are usually much cheaper than Irish in-store prices and they fedex to your door within a few days

hope that helps,
    BrianG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

thanks, thats a good help alright!

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

A little of track, but not quite......
    BrianG, what OS would you recommend?
    I bought a Sony Clie 33 recently and herself has a Jornada 525 with MS on it

Personally, I think Palm is better, but just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

really depends what you want to do - a great article on Brighthand recentley with an interesting observation on how each took a differnet track to end up heading towards the same place:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Paths_Grow_Nearer

for my work i use both platforms and symbian based handsets, and each has it's strenghts (and weaknesses) - one can usually get to a decision on which platform to go with by determining what tasks need to be performed and if the person has previous experiences (or personal preferences) with either UI - any enterprise development / integration requirements will also play a big role in the decision...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Interesting article alright. The one thing I DO see is that Palm cannot multitask. It's not abig issue, but even if I wanted to listen to music while using another app or something?

Also, I know the Jornada is running an old version (think it's CE 3.0) but can the newere versions of Pocket PC actually close the apps because this version just seems to open them all over the place and leave them running??

• Advertisement
Advertisement