Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garageland...

Options
  • 19-10-2003 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

...@voodoo lounge last night. what did everyone think of the bands?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

how much did you have to pay to play this gig... or how many tickets did you have to sell?

try hooking up with gigsmart, they'll give you good gigs that arent costing you money... worth a look anyway www.gigsmartireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tinytimmy

for the love of god man don't go to Gigsmart they are all nothing but a bunch of amatuers trying to be professional but not even coming remotely close

theres loads of other alternatives like Irish Music Network , Irish Unsigned , Thumped and on and on look around.

our band The Mantra use Irish Music Network on somewhat of a regular basis they kick ass IMO has they pay for everything posters the lot and you get a great percentage of the door without having to pay a penny.

NOTE: sorry for the sales like pitch i just think that these guys are pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

for the love of god man don't go to Gigsmart they are all nothing but a bunch of amatuers trying to be professional but not even coming remotely close

Tinytimmy - you're a woeful gobsh*te. That is honestly one of the most ridiculously biased, and completely untrue statements I've ever heard. A bunch of amateurs is all GigSmart have ever claimed to be, but that didn't stop the compilation getting to number 6 in the Irish charts, did it? You're a funny man - it's just a pity that you don't have the common sense to match the humour, isn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by tinytimmy

theres loads of other alternatives like Irish Music Network , Irish Unsigned , Thumped and on and on look around.

our band The Mantra use Irish Music Network on somewhat of a regular basis they kick ass IMO has they pay for everything posters the lot and you get a great percentage of the door without having to pay a penny.

NOTE: sorry for the sales like pitch i just think that these guys are pretty good
    This is the kind of post that makes me SICK.

We played two gigs with Gigsmart and they were utterly professional. Besides, they all have a very supportive attitude, I think you could learn a lot from them.

By the way, so you play with The Mantra right..?

Aren't you the ones who copied our resources page (www.morellorocks.com/resource), replaced the word 'Morello' with 'The Mantra' in every instance like if it was your work, put it on-line without our permission and changed it only after I told you I would sue you...?

That was SO funny... you didn't even bother to rewrite it, you just copied it word by word and then changed the band's name, how brilliant was that?!? :D

Now, that is professional :) keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Brilliant!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

LOL :D:D cheers lads.

Thats pretty funny.

Thanks to the 250 heads that jammed the HUB on Friday! Next Thursday we have Dollar $hort, Mike Got Spiked & Pinion rockin the Hub.

Hope to see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Incidentally a clarification:

A lot of people get confused about this.

Neither Irish Unsigned or Thumped are alternatives to Gigsmart because their brief and area's of interest is not the same. Neither of these orgs run gigs. Its like saying Sky Sports is an alternative to MTV.
    I'm not so sure whether IMN have started to do anything yet (based on the website) but they're site doen't seem to be offering anything that Gigsmart does so I doubt they're an alternative either.

Sorry The Mantras.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Originally posted by geebus
    ...@voodoo lounge last night. what did everyone think of the bands?

Poor Geebus.

All he wanted was comments on the bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Neil_B

It’s seems like a pointless exercise to bitch about anyone who runs gigs wither it be Gigsmart, Garageland or any other gig organiser every chance ya get. I’ve done gigs with both and both have been pretty straight with regard the terms etc. Ask them before ya play what the deal is and if ya don’t like the sound of it then its pretty easy. DON’T PLAY!

Well..... you surely have a point here. Probably it is a pointless exercise to bitch about anything at all

• Advertisement

Well people are entitled to have a moan if they wish, but Jesus how many time’s have we heard this same **** over and over again.

If ya get ripped off or the like then sure tell everyone but if you’re told something from the outset and agree to go with it then why moan after.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Ditto.

Despite not wanting to, you have to develop a bit of a business head when doing these kind of gigs.

You weigh up the costs (potential loss) and benefits (exposure, potential profit) and compare with other promoters.

Some promoters will suit some bands but not others.

Granted, there are groups who are 'not for profit' whch is good and provides a positive alternative but thats not to say that other promoters should be boycotted.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth

OK. Serious promoters book a good venue, provide an excellent backline, pay the bands and make a reasonable profit... nothing wrong with this.

Unfortunately, very often this isn't the case as the bands are charged for a service that many music collectives and such provide for free.

Also, it's true that the band accepts the conditions but they do so only because they're not well informed, and it's not fair for a "promoter" to take advantage of this.

I see your point man but at the same time Garageland are hardly mastermind criminals trying to swindle helpless bands out of money. You know this some of them are friends of yours.

“Serious promoters book a good venue, provide an excellent backline, pay the bands and make a reasonable profit... nothing wrong with this”

This is an extremely good point but at the same time bands, most of all young bands starting out don’t get offered gig’s from MCD in The Olympia that often. Which I would consider meet the standard of your quote above.

Ok let’s get this straight. I’m totally against promoters telling lies in order to get bands to play there gig and then proceeding to rip them off.
    We’ve had that type of thing happen to us like most bands. (There’s nothing like that to teach ya a valuable lesson)
    What I’m saying is if it’s all upfront and agreed from the beginning between both the band and the promoter and nothing is changed then live with it. I’ve heard too many bands moaning about situations they new about in total from the start after the event. That’s all.

OK, so you're annoyed by people who agree on certain conditions and keep moaning about them afterwards... sure I have to agree here, I don't like moaners either

I also agree that some promoter do offer a decent service for the money they charge

However, I still don't understand why bands should pay to play when there are free alternatives :confused:

My point is better explained here:

http://www.morellorocks.com/paytoplay1.html

http://www.morellorocks.com/paytoplay2.html

That’s fine,
    We play GigSmart gigs; we were on the GigSmart cd and were very grateful and glad to be a part of it. So by all means bands should do none pay to play gigs I encourage it.
    But just because ya have to sell a few tickets for a gig doesn’t deem it unworthy or unuseful to the band. That’s up to the band to weight it up for themselves. The choice not to play is there.
    It’s not just the promoters at the bottom of this it’s the Venue charges that have to be cleared too. Its fairly price to gig for example Whelan’s on a Saturday night without any middleman.

Hey I edited my post above but you were quicker than me :)

I wasn't referring to Gigsmart only: I think that bands should be encouraged to put up their own gigs and/or associate in the form of collectives rather than pay promoters.

However, I do see your point: nothing bad about selling tkts to play Whelan's Saturday night as it would be fairly expensive (and v. difficult unless you're truly estabilished) to do so otherwise

Yea nice editing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

where is the HUB?

• Advertisement

Temple bar across from the “IFI” film centre on Eustace st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

underneath "the mezz"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

thats the HUB? jesus, i should really learn to read signs.

Advertisement