Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 'holds up broadband access' - Leaked Government memo

Options
  • 19-10-2003 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-859696,00.html
    The Sunday Times - Ireland, October 19, 2003

Eircom 'holds up broadband access'
    Stephen O'Brien

EIRCOM is holding up the roll-out of Ireland’s broadband network, according to a leaked government memo.
    The document, prepared for Dermot Ahern, the communications minister, claims that Eircom is charging customers too much. It says that the price of broadband internet access, currently €47.50 a month, needs to fall below the €30 mark.

Ahern plans to issue a directive to the independent telecommunications regulator, Etain Doyle, to review Eircom’s charges. He will also raise the matter at cabinet. An official review of Eircom’s pricing is due next year, but Ahern wants that brought forward.

The document, prepared by an adviser to the minister, questioned Eircom’s commitment to investing in infrastructure in Ireland. “Eircom has held up broadband roll-out in Ireland for years because of high pricing. Any continuation of this is intolerable,” it said.

Prices had to fall below €30 a month, it stated, but “there is little sign of Eircom moving on this. Eircom has little credibility with government on this issue . . . government now sees Eircom as the primary impediment to broadband growth in Ireland.” The memo urges tougher tactics to improve the access of Eircom’s landline phone competitors to hundreds of thousands of Eircom-owned local phone lines.

David McRedmond, the Eircom commercial director, disputed the charge of obstruction. He said the company had heavily reduced its wholesale price for broadband to its rivals, and had kept price increases to phone users 2% below the rate of inflation. Eircom is currently limited to price increases equal to the rate of inflation.

He said: “There is no need for a retail price cap because our prices have been at 2% below inflation. We have halved the price of broadband this year, and now have reduced it further by 20%. We believe it is the job of government to make sure there is an environment for investment.”

The threat of intervention will not be welcomed by Eircom stakeholders Tony O’Reilly and George Soros, who are rumoured to be considering a public flotation.

Eircom was born in 1999 when Telecom Eireann, the state-owned utility, went public for €8.6 billion. It was sold back into private hands for €6 billion after the share price collapsed. Eircom’s fixed-line business was eventually sold to the Valentia consortium in December 2000 for €3 billion.

Uncertainty over Eircom’s future regulatory environment could weaken the flotation.

Broadband penetration rates in Ireland lag far behind most of the EU and Ahern blames Eircom. He said: “Governments and ministers must focus on citizens and the broader economic picture. To that end, intervention is justified.”
    Nice to see that the things IOFFL have been saying have been taken on board :)
    Martin Harran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

woohoo ... well done to the leaker .... maybe this might give Ahern and Doyle a kick in the arse and get them moving

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    David McRedmond, the Eircom commercial director ... said: “There is no need for a retail price cap because our prices have been at 2% below inflation. We have halved the price of broadband this year, and now have reduced it further by 20%. .”
    To paraphrase Mark Twain..."There are lies, damned lies and Eircom spokespersons"

:)
    Martin

I'm like a bus, none to be seen for ages and then 3 in a row :)
    Anyway, I was just thinking...would it be worthwhile IOFFL contacting this reporter and asking him to have a look at problems people are having with line tests and the suspicion that Eircom are not exactly co-operating with UTV and Esat? Could be a nice follow up piece for him.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

The Sunday Tribune are actively investigating that very thing Martin. I had discussions with them on Friday, but it was a little late in the day to get it tidied up for this Sunday's edition.

Originally posted by Dangger
    The Sunday Tribune are actively investigating that very thing
    Nice one Dave, hope they really can dig up some dirt on this one, the least that Eircom can be found guilty of in this whole line testing fiasco is sheer incompetence.
    Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

*sigh*. The general crap has been split and sent to the recycle bin. Work with me here people, work with me!

What the writer is particularly interested in is the line some people have been getting with regard to being told that their exchange is at full capacity.

I actually need to make contact with as many people as possible that this has happened to. I'll start a new thread about it. That is not to say he has no interest in the line failure rates, he has, but since Eircom are telling us all that they have over one million lines enabled yet have hit capacity problems in certain exchanges (with under 10,000 adsl subscribers so far) the porkies have gotta be exposed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The infamous No Slots issue. IOL and UTV (who are bigger than Netsource) seem to suffer this disproportionately....well worth setting up a load of Guinea pig applicants I think.

The Sunday Times will have no problem proving obstruction and will then be told by Comreg that Comreg can do nothing about it.

What kinda car did Doyle get in the end and who pays for the other two's cars by the way, them or the taxpayer. ?

M

Originally posted by Moriarty
    *sigh*. The general crap has been split and sent to the recycle bin. Work with me here people, work with me!
    You're quite right, apologies - Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

nice piece i have to say, finally exposing eircom as the liars they truly are is music to me ears

Investing and infrastructure must have the eircom bigwigs scratching there heads.

heres one for you though, for the laugh i tried to order BB on the online store there yesterday and rather then tell me that my lines failed it said that BB is no longer available in my exchange

So I dunno

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I have been waiting for a real newspaper of the calibre of The Sunday Times to produce this type of story, and it is well overdue.

No doubt the Sunday Tribune will as Dangger states, follow up with an even more hard hitting article.

Without IrelandOFFline, it is unlikely that this would be happening now in the forthright manner in which it is. The journalists have finally decided to bite the bullet.

Lets hope that it will have the desired result for us all, and very quickly.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Muck
    The infamous No Slots issue. IOL and UTV (who are bigger than Netsource) seem to suffer this disproportionately....well worth setting up a load of Guinea pig applicants I think.
    It's a weird one alright. It wouldn't surprise me if (as suggested in another thread) eircom were surruptitiously (sp?) reserving ports on the DSLAM for eircom.net and taking customers from the OLOs who are told that the DSLAM is full. That's pure speculation btw folks :)

Surely, there are upgrade triggers when a certain capacity is reached in the DSLAM, like the 80% capacity for dial-up POPs? And if not, surely there SHOULD be? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted in a leaked government memo
    Ahern plans to issue a directive to the independent telecommunications regulator, Etain Doyle, to review Eircom’s charges.

Originally reported in an international study this week
    Many of the factors for the slow take-up of broadband still exist such as lack of platform competition and a regulatory environment that will not encourage it to emerge, says the report, which criticises the Commission for Communications Regulations (ComReg) focus on encouraging wholesale access on favourable terms rather than infrastructure competition.

Left hand, meet right hand. Right hand, meet left hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's the folks that don't know any better I'd be worried about. A lot of people here know full well when Eircom is chancing their arm, but the majority of Irish people won't have a clue. And the fact that Eircom is allowed get away with something as simple as saying that they're cheaper for calls - which is a flat-out lie - isn't very encouraging when it comes to something much more complex, like this.

I have to say I don't understand what's supposed to come of this though. Dermie's gonna tell Etain to sort it out and Etain's gonna go into flip mode for a week and a half? Why doesn't he just tell her to feck off? She's well past due by now anyway. Feck off Etain, ya useless lump.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I have to say I don't understand what's supposed to come of this though. Dermie's gonna tell Etain to sort it out and ....
    Very few politicians in this country impress me, but Dermot Ahern has to date on the way in which he has tackled the whole Internet situation - he did deliver on FRIACO.

Problem is that politicians, with best will in the world, can't solve these things overnight, they take time. Unfortuntely, time is the one thing we don't have, we are so far behind the rest of the world already, I shudder to think where we'll be in another 6 or 12 months :(

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Dermot Ahern (our current hero), is a politician. He gets to control Departments etc. So, he currently has Communications matters in his portfolio.

Etain Doyle, as head of Comreg, is now more powerful than she was when she headed uo ODTCR. Right? You have noticed? Anyway, She, He or It (no gender stuff here) has been as useless in combating eircom's venal operations over the past year, and heading on for another year, as ODTR and Comreg have always been. If eircom had been given the job, they probabably would have made it look as if more was being done. Comreg is a Civil Service operation.

So, live with the situation. Don't expect Comreg to change an injustice, or to rock any boats on your behalf. The Civil Service, and all of its officers, are there to keep things running AS IS, until ordered to change it.

It is the good Dermot who must be targeted for any and all change. Etain's job will be to make a change happen, and to minimise any impact on the status quo, so you cannot really complain. There is no political kudos in fixing a wrong, but there is in doing a new right thing. Dermot will take "right things" on board, and Etain will do her stuff, but the "Complaints Department" will be left until after the next General Election to find a champion.

So be thankful that Minister Ahern is so sympathetic to Irelands communications needs, and is doing so much to forward the position. I consider him thge only bright spark in an otherwise gloomy cabinet, if not the entire FF political party.

If this has developed into the wrong thread, It's because I do so now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

etain doyle to be replaced shock
    not before time i say - sunday business post comreg has refused to comment on speculation that its chairwomanetain doyle plans to step down shortly.
    probably going to take a job on the board of eircom i guess

Again Martin, you're missing the point completely. I'm not knocking Dermot Ahern and I agree with the poster below you; i agree that he's the only competent person in the cabinet and quite possibly the entire party. The point I was making was that with Doyle still at the helm of Comreg, implementation of his directives are going to be woeful. All the woman understands is patching, every deal she's delivered so far has been a quilt of weak compromise, bluster and bull****. FRIACO is weak, bitstream is weak, and anyone who thinks the lack of a data USO right now isn't a result of that is a moron.

Ahern did deliver on FRIACO, but via Doyle. Weak implementation, flawed products, broken promises. Are you seeing my point now or do I have to spell it out? Again?

adam

Ohh Adam, please spell it out again :rolleyes:

Moving on, Doyle is out, as mentioned above. Can we take this likely accidentally on purpose leak as a salvo to the remaining commissioners, Isolde Goggin, and John Doherty to get the finger out or be subsumed into the department. 120 staff and all those millions and a mess should be a good enough reason in my mind.

Originally posted by Dangger
    Ohh Adam, please spell it out again
    Dave, you're being a right smartarse the last week or so, is there a problem? Would you like to spell that out, instead of sniping on my every comment like a child?

EDIT: How could I have been so stupid, it's because I didn't give IrelandOffline number one spot in my little awards ceremony last week, isn't it? That's when it started after all, although you didn't explain your snide little comment at the time. And there was me thinking I wasn't important. Well, I have a few gold stars here for my youngfella's forehead, so I'll send you a couple in the post, ok? Well done, you're teh winnar.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Back on topic - this is fantastic news. But just not to let any eircom porkies through

We have halved the price of broadband this year,

You released a sub-standard version of broadband at half the price.

and now have reduced it further by 20%.

You're currently running a temporary promotion on the cost of broadband for the month of October only, still with a sub-standard version of broadband and a minimum 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by nahdoic
    and now have reduced it further by 20%.

You're currently running a temporary promotion on the cost of broadband for the month of October only, still with a sub-standard version of broadband and a minimum 12 month contract.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Eircom's problem is that they know they're the dominant player in the market, many Irish people don't know of anyone but eircom, and so eircom don't have to justify their prices against their competitors. Saying they've halved their prices, or that it's 20% cheaper during a promotion, sounds all well and good, but when the two biggest competitors beat them on price all across the board, it kind of takes any kind of credibility or pity out of their "What more do you want from us?" cries. :rolleyes: Doubly so when you consider that eircom are supplying their competitors with the means to undercut them.

/me taps foot and folds arms.

Adam.....Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Also when you consider the fact that they've 'halved' the price and reduced it by 20% - it sounds very impressive. But when the prices are still too high, just think about how fooping high the prices were in the first case? And how much they were ripping you off by then and still are now.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's at times like this that we really need a Ryanair-like competitor to take out full-page ads in the dailies exposing Eircom's bull to the unwashed masses.

C'mon UTV, what about it? ;)

That would seem to be the only approach available OscarBravo. Comreg isn't going to do anything about Eircom's lies and nobody else - the consumers association for example - seems willing to take it on, so I guess it has to be someone like UTV. So what about it UTV? Pwease? :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

All the woman understands is patching, every deal she's delivered so far has been a quilt of weak compromise, bluster and bull****. FRIACO is weak, bitstream is weak, and anyone who thinks the lack of a data USO right now isn't a result of that is a moron.

Ahern did deliver on FRIACO, but via Doyle. Weak implementation, flawed products, broken promises. Are you seeing my point now or do I have to spell it out? Again?
    The problem is that we are over dependent on regulation generally. While we can speculate about whether ComReg would be better under a different chairpersion, it is this over-dependence that is to blame.

I dunno SkepticOne. Would we really be better off without regulation? Would competition really drive innovation, and drive prices down? There's no question that UTV has driven competition in the republic, but would they have bothered if Eircom was free from regulation?

Again, this is a genuine question, I'd love to hear UTV's take on this. As a company, they're naturally driven towards pushing for less regulation, but would they /actually/ be operating in the Republic now if there was less. Interesting...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I just can't see a TV ad for UTV on TV3, tbh!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I dunno SkepticOne. Would we really be better off without regulation? Would competition really drive innovation, and drive prices down? There's no question that UTV has driven competition in the republic, but would they have bothered if Eircom was free from regulation?
    I did not say we should do away with regulation, just lower our dependence on it.

Would competition drive innovation? I think so. It is the thing that has been missing all this time. We certainly can't expect regulation (regardless of who is in charge) to drive innovation. That is not the purpose of regulation.

UTV because of their dependence on Eircom and regulation can only bring out products based on wholesale product by Eircom. Fore example, their quicksilver product depends entirely on the RADSL wholesale product from Eircom. As such, in this instance, they are not driving innovation.

While ComReg should probable order Eircom to lower their wholesale price, Eircom can in turn get an injunction out against ComReg and take them to court driving out resellers like UTV.

• Advertisement

The problem I see is that nearly every operator and ISP in Ireland is dependant on Eircom and regulation to get by and get on; the only exception being EsatBT, who (in my view) have acted in concert with Eircom to hamper competition (albeit implictly). With that level of dependence, I'm not sure that <strike>weakening<strike> lessening regulation is a solution. I'm much more inclined to think that the solution isn't less or even more regulation, but better developed and applied regulation.

In other news, the Sunday Business Post seems to have asked the Commission what Doyle was going to do. They declined to comment, surprise surprise:
    The Sunday Business Post reports that the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) declined to comment on whether Chairperson Etain Doyle will step down from the top job in the regulatory agency. Doyle, previously the head of the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation (ODTR), became the chairperson of the three-person team that leads ComReg last year, with her tenure in that job due to last only one year. It has been speculated that either of the two other commissioners, Isolde Goggin or John Doherty, may replace her.
    http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9378907.html

adam

Advertisement