Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo xbox vs Halo PC

Options
  • 19-10-2003 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Which halo is the better one? I personally think that the Xbox one is better cuz u can play 2player co-op (have had so much fun, on that beach landing level where u both drive each others warthog into each other and go flyin), but then again the PC one has Online MP but since i cant get BB the xbox version comes up trumps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I've been playing FPS with a mouse and keyboard for too long to ever use a joypad so it had to be the PC version for me.

The multiplayer and better resolution are also very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PC: better graphics, more multiplayer features and a mouse

Xbox: been out 2 years, runs at a decent framerate and is not laced with bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

PC version does not look as good unless your running in 1024 x 786. I find I get the best performance from 800 x 600 with 4x AA and 8x anisotrophic. Limit Frame rate to 30fps

Online play is great fun.

( Using a 1.7ghz XP and 9800 Pro 405/768 )

XBox version is brilliant, looks amazing on a 32"
    You dont have to change settings to get optimal performance.
    You can play from the comfort of your armchair.

Either way Halo is one of the best games Ive ever played.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    but then again the PC one has Online MP but since i cant get BB the xbox version comes up trumps.

Unlike Xbox Live, PC gaming is not restricted to broadband. Halo PC works fine on half of an IDSN line (64kbps).

Lets face it the best part of Halo is it’s multiplayer, the Xbox version does not work on Live, so Halo PC is the only version where you can pick up and play multiplayer when you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

For any FPS an mouse is a must, so Ill go with the PC one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm finding the single player SOOOO boring. The levels are repeatitive and they just throw stupid amounts of enemies at you. HATE it.

So i'd have to say pc version seeing as the multiplayer is the best part of the game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

aggree with you there raven.
    I've been doing my own little part of cheaking ie. unlimited ammo(an no reloading needed) and it is very very hardf,(playing on normal) the ammount of enemies is unbelieveable at parts, just keep retrying at the same part again and again, those the same charaters seems to used a lot for the aliens....
    as you lot said, multiplayer suits it best, reminds me a lot of hl deathmatch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got it purely for online play,i have it on xbox too but tbh it sucks on it.
    Unless you cram lots of TVs ,lotsa guys,lotsa consoles into a room your stuck with single player and all this with a [yuck] pad .
    FPS games r terrible with a pad, end of story!

Single player was so boring after first hour on xbox so i will not touch it on PC either.
    Ive got to say the gfx are so much better on PC,high res and getting between 60-100 fps is beautifull compared to xbox on my 32 inch 100 HZ tv.
    Having said that the halo engine is ancient now by todays standards so its only average for pc but compared to consoles its stunning so i guess i go for PC version,its far far far superior in every department but what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Anyone else think the music in Halo rocks, the theme song is deadly and the in game mood music is really freaky at those times when a load of covanent or flood jump out at you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah it's definitely got some of the best in-game music I've ever come across, and comes on at just the right time as well. It's brilliant when the flood come along

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    I'm finding the single player SOOOO boring. The levels are repeatitive and they just throw stupid amounts of enemies at you. HATE it.

While i didn't hate it myself, I did wonder what all the fuss was about .. I mean this is one of the very few games EDGE has give 10 out of 10 for, and they almost never do that (Mario 64 was the last I think)

The out door large scale battles with the other marines was pretty cool, but the indoor areas were so boring, exactly the same room over and over again. I mean how hard is it to design a slightly different room. And the bit where you have to go all the way back over the same area is very tedious. Half Life managed to have a huge game world with very little repetition, it can't be that hard

A good game, with some great parts, and definitly not the brilliant game it was made out to be and certainly not one of the top games ever made.

Halo 2 looks a lot better, with large city battles a lot more like Half Life 2 .. if they take the best bits from Halo, and get rid of the crap indoor levels, and repetative nature I think they will have a brilliant game on there hands

a bit off topic but is ne1 here getting really bad fps? I have an ati 9000 radeon which can handle modern games like vice city and unreal tournament 2003 with no slowdown whatsoever and with effects and textures maxed out.
    Even in 640/480 its slowing down.

Bit annoying as halo doenst exactly look like a demanding game.

Originally posted by Jabba
    a bit off topic but is ne1 here getting really bad fps? I have an ati 9000 radeon which can handle modern games like vice city and unreal tournament 2003 with no slowdown whatsoever and with effects and textures maxed out.
    Even in 640/480 its slowing down.

Bit annoying as halo doenst exactly look like a demanding game.

Halo defaults to using version 2.0 pixel shaders found in DirectX 9 ... these are very sooooo and most cards don't do them particularly well at the moment.

You want to run Halo using version 1.4 or 1.1 Pixel Shaders found in DirectX 8.

To do this you want to put the command -use11 or -use14 after the Halo.exe

example -

"C:\Program Files\Halo\halo.exe" -use11

You will lose some of the fancy texture effects (bumpmapping etc) but Halo should now run much faster, and there is no point having the effects if your frame rate is 5 fps.

there are also commands to stop Joystick polling (-nojoystick I think) and other stuff that will increase framerate slightly.

It boggles the mind that Gearbox would release Halo with the default set up requiring graphics cards that don't exist yet to run a 2 year old game .. they should have defaulted to the normal pixel shaders and allowed people to move up when they got better hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I installed it on my PC last night and started playing throuh the singleplayer.
    FPS are steady and smooth, and I'm not worried about the graphics.
    The singleplayer experience has left me utterly disappointed.
    It feels like a cheap-ass watered down version of so many other FPSes I've played already. Waste of money.
    I'll give the multiplayer a shot tonight, I only hope it's up to the grade. If not, I'll be returning it promptly tomorrow morning.

This is more a comment on the game itself than a comparison of the XBOX vs PC versions (which, technically at least, should be nearly identical when running on GF3-class hardware or above).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Play the single player part with a mate in coop mode and it takes on a WHOLE new dimension. Its excellent fun.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Have to agree, I played through Halo on Legendary with a friend and it was without a doubt the best gaming experience I've ever had.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately the pc version does not support this co-op mode.

sweet thanks for that wicknight

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Played a few rounds of MP tonight against Asok on the LAN, was fun :)
    Forwarded the port to his machine and we hosted a small 4-player game (conenction might support 4-external clients - 128upload).
    Posted the IP up on #boards.ie
    If anyone's around on Sunday or Monday night, fancy a game?
    Hope that the Co-op mode is added again in a later patch. More games should have such a feature.

Currently running version 1.02

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

that don't exist yet to run a 2 year old game
    They do exist tho only in the 9700 and above. Any directx8 card has this setting by default i think? Tho may be wrong there.

Halo does not perform very well on computers with graphics cards that don't fully support DirectX 9, such as nVidia's FX series and ATI's Radeon 9500 and 9600.

The 9700(and above) fully supports all the advanced directx9 features.

Read an interview about it here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Why the hell do no pc games have co-op single player anymore? its so popular amongst gamers, is it hard to program or something? Even the co-op sinlge missions in Vietcong are pretty good fun, and certainly better than nothing!! And surely the biggest attraction to Halo on the X-box was the co-op mode? just baffles the mind!!

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    The 9700(and above) fully supports all the advanced directx9 features.

Read an interview about it here

They do support them, but that doesn't mean they do them well ... Halo on version 2.0 pixel shaders is a perfect example, it runs to slow even on high end graphic cards

The graphics cards coming out after Christmas should make small work of Halo

They dont fully support them (ie they dont make short work of it as u said)

I have no problems at all running Halo. (well odd slowdown in singpllayer whena **** load of AI running around using up the cpu) Online i havent had a single problem.

Im unimpressed with halos performance on my PC.
    Gets VERY slow on some multiplayer levels. Ive tried use11 an use14 (PS 1.1 , 1.4)

ATI 9800 np (bios/f) @ 405mhz / 769mhz

XP 1800+ @ 1.7ghz (TB)

Im thinking of gettin a 2600+ Barton, should speed thing up a little in most games, including halo.

Is the 2500+ better for overclocking though?, Think I read that somewhere.

also, I wonder is it possible to play halo co- op on xbox, using 2 separate TV's? Would make the game even more amazing.

Halo Co-op = Best thing evar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Why upgrade for Halo? It's not like you'll actually get any eyecandy return. It looks dated and plays embarassingly slowly unless you disable Anisotropic filtering and just about every technical impressive but visually minor effect.
    I love the game, but this port is awful. You shouldn't have to turn off so many things to get a half decent frame rate on a game that looks about 2-3 years old.

a game that looks about 2-3 years old

You need new glasses. Halo looks better than just about anything on any format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The game looks fine. Something like Unreal2 is prettier on a technical level but the graphic design stinks.

If anything I think it's the repetition in the level design that detracts from Halo's visual impact. You see the same things over and over again. I'm hoping the sequel has more varied environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    You need new glasses. Halo looks better than just about anything on any format.

Oh dear god. ROFLMAO
    I'm not getting into this as that was such a completely ludicrous statement, I could sit here all day listing titles that look infinitely better.

Fairly sure it doesnt look like a 3yr old game. Unreal Tournament is a 3yr old game and this looks a hell of a lot better than it.

Theres a few games that look better but i dont think you'd be sitting here all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by SyxPak

Hope that the Co-op mode is added again in a later patch. More games should have such a feature.

Never gunna happen methinks :( for the same reasons that you cant play 4-player co-op on two xboxes. The sheer mass of ****e running around throughout the game just cant go over the network at an acceptable speed /dontreallyknowwhatimtalkingabout

but its somkething like that as to why it wont be happening anytime soon:D

Advertisement