Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I take up economics?

Options
  • 19-10-2003 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

OK, basically I need some guidance and advice here, watch out for the rant... here it comes...:

I was supposed to be doing Economics as one of my four choice subjects in secondary school, but only five other people picked it so it was cancelled. Therefore I was stuck and had to pick french as my fourth choice subject. This means I now do:

Irish
    English
    Math
    French
    History
    Geography
    and Business.

Basically, I'm terrible at Irish and due to laziness and poor understanding of algebra I now do pass math. This leaves me with a maximum potential score of 560 on the leaving cert - and I need 500-520 to get the course that I want, which leaves me with a very small margin of error across six subjects.

Essentially, I think it would be more beneficial if I took up economics in addition to these subjects and used it as some sort of a safety buffer in case the worst happened in any of the above subjects.

What do you people think, should I? Also, is there anywhere that does grinds/classes that I could get help in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I take it your in fifth year? yes taking up an extra subject is a good idea, but keep in mind you have honors english and history in there, both of which will take allot of time to cover. IOE do economics courses on a saturday and the teacher is ment to be pretty decent. If i was you i'd do economics and an extra subject i was having a problem with, something like french.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah I'm in fifth year :) if I was in sixth year and asking this I think it'd be certainly too little, too late.

That sounds perfect - but, just out of interest, if I'm the only one in my school doing economics, do I just sit in the exam hall on my own or do they send me elsewhere to sit the exam?

You sit it on your own at that date. I know cause i did applied maths that way, very last exam and i was all on my own. Well worth it in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by NoelRock

That sounds perfect - but, just out of interest, if I'm the only one in my school doing economics, do I just sit in the exam hall on my own or do they send me elsewhere to sit the exam?

It's pretty easy to get a B in it, as long as you don't get a messy exam then there's no reason you can't get an A in it.

As far as I know, you'd be sitting in the exam centre on your own unless economics clashes with home ec or something.

Hard enough to get an A in actually, you really have to just do all the old papers over and over again and get into writing the answer the way they read it. Buts its a subject that isn't dificult to understand, no unusual concepts mostly cop on.

• Advertisement

*Nods* All sounds great. There's no Home Ec in my school - so I'd probably be on my own alright. It says you can enter the class at any time during the year - the classes started last week, so hopefully I'll be able to join just after the mid term with some luck :).

I wonder what % of students got an A in economics last year.

2.8 got A1's

Not bad...not great either. But thankfully not an impossible task ahead.

<cheeky question>How'd you do Boston :)?</cheeky question>

A1. Easy once you bascially cover all the past papers and chose the topics your going to answer on well, the teacher will probably give you a good idea what to cover. 8 questions you answer 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

im doing economics myself with some grinds its pretty easy, certainly getting a b1 will be a doss but getting up to an a1 will be hard i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bono_85

Economics is grand, they're making it harder though with this new examiner, but you just have to go back to the really old papers and just do them all and your covered. Just don't leave anything to chance, the course isn't exactly huge
    And on another note, the % of A1's this year was 3.3 and the year before was 7.6%

where did oyu get that figure, is that pass and honors? cause the irish times said 2.8% for honors the day the results came out.

Yeah I have it 3.30% A1's Economics Higher 2003,
    7.60% " " 2002

And I think 7,658 took it this year

i asked where not if you had them. Depending on your source. Mine's the irish times, is your the DOE? or another rag new paper.

What the hell are you talking about?? Rag newspaper? Its the Irish times, maybe you just can't read properly, you seem to like saying that 2.8% got A1's so I corrected you on it. Your leaving cert is over so maybe you could just encourage ppl instead of boastin about how great you are all the time. I'm sure you'll reply within 15secs anyway so shouldn't be long to wait. Did ya ever hear of conversation without being a smart ass.

Originally posted by Bono_85
    What the hell are you talking about?? Rag newspaper? Its the Irish times, maybe you just can't read properly, you seem to like saying that 2.8% got A1's so I corrected you on it. Your leaving cert is over so maybe you could just encourage ppl instead of boastin about how great you are all the time. I'm sure you'll reply within 15secs anyway so shouldn't be long to wait. Did ya ever hear of conversation without being a smart ass.

Heard of thinking before opening your mouth. The edition of hte irish times i got on exam day said 2.8%, you then contradicted me and said 3.3%, i said maybe your right where did you get that figure, to which you replied like a moron 3.3% to which i asked was that from the DOE then i get another stupid reply.

As for boating, i was asked what result i got, i was asked what percentage. I didn't come in here saying i got an a1 out of only 2.8% look at me i'm great. Did you ever hear of reading the thread before posting to it.

Advertisement