Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA credit card?

Options
  • 19-10-2003 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

Came across an ad for MBNA credit cards. It was the new one with the smart chip on it (like they use abroad).

"For all people who use credit cards and
    want extra security, this is the smarter card."
    The credit card times*

*The credit card times is a fictitious newspaper title.

Um, is this not fooling ppl into believing that the card has actually been reviwed an is a good choice? Surely they could have printed the text without the quotes?

Anyway, does this confirm the theory that MBNA use questionable business practices to get customers onboard (like sending unsolicited apllication forms).

Anyone here use MBNA? Any comments or actual reviews?

It is what it's.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm not a card holder. I reckon I'm the only person in the western world who's been turned down for one. Twice. And I have no idea why, because my credit record is clean as a whistle. I've decided to treat it like a badge of honour. :)

adam

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

MBNA turned me down after seeing a few referral charges on my bank statements. At the same time AIB "upgraded" me to a Gold VISA.

Took a good while to get the reason from MBNA. I had to answer all the secret questions just to get the address to send my query to. They returned my aplication fee cheque to my bank because it got separated from the credit report request and then claimed they had never got my letter. Luckily my bank had left MBNAs covering letter on..

.. anyway now everytime I get MBNA fliers I dutifully fill them out with fictitious names and send them back.. it costs them postage each time and must annoy someone somewhere (sad eh ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'm not a card holder. I reckon I'm the only person in the western world who's been turned down for one. Twice. And I have no idea why, because my credit record is clean as a whistle. I've decided to treat it like a badge of honour. :)

adam

No, your not the only one. Turned down (again for what reason I don't know) a few years ago. What pisses me off is that I'm always getting their adds in my post box for their credit card FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'm not a card holder. I reckon I'm the only person in the western world who's been turned down for one. Twice. And I have no idea why, because my credit record is clean as a whistle.
    Perhaps because there is no record. Ask your bank for a €500 loan, pay it back and create a record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Believe me Victor, there's a record. :)

Seriously, that's probably why, but I'm definitely not a credit risk. Regular as clockwork with my repayments.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I got my MBNA card a few years ago - no problem. They kept increasing my limit because I was such a prompt payer.

Odd thing is, I went to buy a machine a few months ago off Dell Finance, and got my loan request rejected. I followed this up by seeking a loan from BoI 365, and got the thumbs up in just over a week. So, I went to Elara instead! :D

Credit - very hard to make sense off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I've been with Ulster bank Visa for 3 years. Are MBNA's cards really any more secure? I'm very paranoid with my number, in fact I get them to change it at least twice a year...You never know when an ex girl friend will get you back, or a disgruntled employee will use your card for donkey pron dvd's lol.

Also, I really hate that I can't check my statement online! Surely they could set up something like 'Ulster bank Anytime', or BOI 365?

I would be completely lost without my cc :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Odd thing is, I went to buy a machine a few months ago off Dell Finance, and got my loan request rejected.

Was it 0% finance you were after from dell? A friend of mine working for them told me that that is only given to people who do not need finance ... and someone who doesn't need it will never as for it, so who ever gets it?!? It's just there to get people on the phone to a salesperson, and give that person an chance to earn their commission.

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I've been turned down twice by BOI, the bank where I had my current account and a saving with a couple of thousands... :mad: !!

Asked for MBNA (the Dublin Zoo card, so the monkeys get bananas each time I'm using my Visa!), was accepted without any hassles...
    I have it for 3 years, they increase the limit without asking. The web-site is nice, you can view the transactions, download statements,...

I'm an happy customer... then I pay the full balance each month so I won't go into trouble...

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I've been with Ulster bank Visa for 3 years. Are MBNA's cards really any more secure? I'm very paranoid with my number, in fact I get them to change it at least twice a year...You never know when an ex girl friend will get you back, or a disgruntled employee will use your card for donkey pron dvd's lol.

Also, I really hate that I can't check my statement online! Surely they could set up something like 'Ulster bank Anytime', or BOI 365?

I would be completely lost without my cc :(

Actually, you're pretty much covered against unauthorised usage in it's many forms (despite what the scaremongers might have you believe) so I'd be less paranoid :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

As of 2005 all credit cards in Ireland will have a chip in them and signature will be no more. :D

All retailers will have POS (point of sale) terminals that will facilitate this new project called Chip and PIN. See HERE for more details.

The rollout of Chip and PIN in Ireland starts in Naas and Newbridge in Quarter 2, 2004.

Its simple, if you are say buying a DVD player for example with your new Chip Credit Card. You go to the POS, the price is scanned, you say you are paying by credit card.

You will be asked to insert a credit card into a little machine. Type a PIN number,the terminal will say "Accepted" or "declined" and you walk away.

No more signatures, transaction times for the retailer are halved.

It will eliminate counterfeited credit cards and if your card is lost/stolen it is useless to anyone who picks it up and tries to use it for nasty reasons.

All cards will be secure..

Oh and If I had my way I'd have a AIB Gold Aer Lingus Card...or the AMEX Black Card ......:cool:

"Actually, you're pretty much covered against unauthorised usage in it's many forms "

True Buffybot. But there is a thing now called 1st Party Fraud....

Its unfortunate but it happens....You are covered but you have to prove that your card has been used by someone else for nefarious reasons...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by XPThink
    It will eliminate counterfeited credit cards and if your card is lost/stolen it is useless to anyone who picks it up and tries to use it for nasty reasons.
    Do they still not get the 3 in 1,000 chance of guessing the number?

Sure but like most cards the card will be denied and shut down after 3 failed attempts at entering the PIN.

I mean there are factors such as hidden cameras and shoulder surfing with people trying to guess and compromise the PIN number but they then have to rob you to use your card...

The likely hood of someone guessing a number compares to that of guessing the lottery numbers....very hard.......unless of course you are David Blaine or Derren Brown.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

OK, I stand by my opinion of MBNA being dodgy. The bloke they had at the RDS Ideal Homes exhibition was a freakin wierdo! And it takes a lot for me to call anyone anything. He looked very suspect, he kept calling me 'bud', wanted me to fill in an application "with no obligation", told me to come back to him in a few minutes, even though I told him I wasn't on a regular wage, and there was a free gift of a ridiculous little clock that you coulda bought in the €uro shop (if there is one).

Um, no ta.

It is what it's.

Sounds like he was on comission or being watched by his superiors who were evaluating his performance on the stand....

Or Oneweb you are right. He was a freak.......

I'd hate to man a stand and try and sell something.. Luckily when I do have to man a stand I am offering information and people come up to our stand wanting advice. So its really no work at all.

Poor Basta!rd....Also pushy sales people annoy the hell out of me...they can really put you off a product for life...

Also, free gifts...just more cra!p to put in your complimentary "exhibition bag" as you walk around the stalls..Actually the best stands are the ones giving away food samples....class.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Originally posted by XPThink
    As of 2005 all credit cards in Ireland will have a chip in them and signature will be no more. :D

All retailers will have POS (point of sale) terminals that will facilitate this new project called Chip and PIN. See HERE for more details.

The rollout of Chip and PIN in Ireland starts in Naas and Newbridge in Quarter 2, 2004.

Its simple, if you are say buying a DVD player for example with your new Chip Credit Card. You go to the POS, the price is scanned, you say you are paying by credit card.

You will be asked to insert a credit card into a little machine. Type a PIN number,the terminal will say "Accepted" or "declined" and you walk away.

No more signatures, transaction times for the retailer are halved.

AFAIK This technology is currently being incorporated into the Amstrad em@iler in the UK. So you swipe your card into the phone for paying online -seems smart enough - no filling out long account numbers and checking them to make sure they're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by raphaelS

Asked for MBNA (the Dublin Zoo card, so the monkeys get bananas each time I'm using my Visa!),

There was a story in the Sunday Times money section 2 weeks ago, most of the cards you had to spend around 40,000 before the charity would get even 100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Originally posted by eth0_
    There was a story in the Sunday Times money section 2 weeks ago, most of the cards you had to spend around 40,000 before the charity would get even 100 quid.

Really?!
    Damn, I must check that... :confused:

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by parsi
    They returned my aplication fee cheque to my bank because it got separated from the credit report request and then claimed they had never got my letter.

What application fee? They don't charge application fees, do they?
    .. anyway now everytime I get MBNA fliers I dutifully fill them out with fictitious names and send them back.. it costs them postage each time and must annoy someone somewhere (sad eh ?)
    Great idea - Or just send back their pre-paid envelopes empty to make them pay for those too.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RainyDay
    What application fee? They don't charge application fees, do they?

You have to pay to find out why they declined you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Dont they withold such info as it is commerically sensitive to their business. ie they dont have to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Did you request a copy of your credit history from the Irish Credit Bureau? The ICB is an independent body, not a part of MBNA.

Originally posted by RainyDay
    Did you request a copy of your credit history from the Irish Credit Bureau? The ICB is an independent body, not a part of MBNA.

That wouldnt tell you why you were refused. Only MBNA can tell you why. And they probably wont tell you.

Well they did tell me in a roundabout way - what I actually requested was a copy of all information about me that they held in an electronic format (under Data Protection Act).. it was all in there...they were snotty about it and waited until the last day of the maximum period to respond.

was the reason in there?

It sure was...

It sure was...

I thought that they would hide he reason in some sort of code.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Did they charge you for the info ?

• Advertisement

Yes they charged eur6 if I remember correctly. part of the delay was due to the fact that the cheque got separated at the Data Office end (for some stupid reason - after all it was addressed to the Data Management Office or whatever they called it) and they couldn´t find a card held in my name so they sent it back to my bank...total incompetence on their side...

Advertisement