Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone remember...

Options
  • 19-10-2003 5:48pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... the name of the politician who came up with the idea of the current licencing system?
    I'm more curious about who thought of the idea of letting unqualified drivers take the wheel unaccompanied.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus you're going to take me back with this question! In 1982-ish
    the back-log of learner drivers was such that Sylvie Barrett who was the FF Minister for Environment at the time decided to issue a waver for all on the waiting list...the rest is carnage I mean history.

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks Mike
    Did Sylvie Barrett bring in the current system then which allows people who fail their test to drive home? What was public opinion like at the time?
    (sorry for forcing you / others to have to work on this one)
    Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't be sure about the first point (driving home) but it is mad!
    On the second well as I recall (its a looooooong time ago) ppl were fairly amazed at the idea you could just be handed a licence
    and hit the roads...mind you its worth noting only 20 years before that there was no driving test in this country! Some things have barely moved on at all it seems.

Mike.

ps to give Barrett some credit he also introduced the drink driving and seatbelt laws.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

... because he was so safety conscious? :D
    Thanks
    K.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ah the joys of motoring in Ireland..

My Father has only driven once in the last 30 years (two minutes in a car park) He has a full license and has been insured all that time and has a full no claims bonus.

My friends mother heard that the amnesty was going to take place and applied for a HGV license for the crack - she still has it..

When I did my test two years ago, one of the others said he stopped while reversing around the corner. Luckily for him a wheelie bin had fallen and the instructor said "that could have been a child", straight back to the centre - passed. (Yer man didn't see the bin it was just coincidence (subliminal reactions?) that he stopped.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement