Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voip

• 19-10-2003 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Is there any Voice over Internet Protocol in use in Dublin?

I have a broadband connection.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What are you trying to ask exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Is there anyway of using a broadband connection to make internet phone calls (VOIP I think) in Dublin
    Who does it

Is the quality any good

Availability

Cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭antwalsh

Try www.skype.com

It's free. I haven't tried it because as soon as I got it Netsource throttled me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Just a follow on question. I'm should have BB in a few days. Does anyone else use a video/audio link over BB with their mates ala 'Netmeeting' or similar? VOIP sounds nice too.
    Any recommendations/links?
    Using MAC OSX.

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah that does sound nice but i'm guessing it would use up a lot of yur cap yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

i use MS Messenger client in Windows Xp to have both voice and video calls with relatives in UK (they have same setup their end).

use it across IOL BB connection and doesn't seem to eat the usage.

MS Messenger in Xp is a SIP Client. SIP is the IETF standard for VOIP. Skyte is from the makers of Kazaa,but uses propriatry (sp) protocols.

costs me nothing to call uk ...except my BB cost

you can't call a regular line line as non of the telcos provide an IP to PSTN gateway. - it purely VOIP Client to VOIP Client.

You can also buy a hardware VOIP handset to hang off your BB connection from people like cisco,buthaven't bothered with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

Sounds good. Yahoo Messenger and the new iChat i believe have video to work with the Mac. It's all compressed, so should'nt have much impact on bb cap.
    SIP client eh. Interesting.
    Cheers. E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

http://www.ephone.ie/
    they offer termination services, basically you install a VOIP client, point it at their gatekeeper, and you can call real world numbers.
    I havent used ephone personally, but I sell their phonecards here in the cafe, and i haven't had any complaints about sound quality.

VOIP will have little or no noticeable effect on your cap

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I wonder if there is anyone here who can repair a malfunctioning ephone installation? The one installed at my fav .Kilkenny Newsagent newsagent needs to get pointed to a technician who can sort out a problem that was started by an installer pissed off by the provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

I saw this crowd in the paper last week VOIP Ireland but know nothing about the quality of service they provide,

M.

• Advertisement

VOIP Ireland have not returned several calls I made to them (in trail of two unanswered e-mails I sent them) concerning an article I am running in the Irish Examiner. Are they that busy?

VOIP of the People

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I've had two email replies from VoIP Ireland - they're in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Check out www.freeworlddialup.com i use it all the time, also have an asterisk server hooked to the phone system at work (www.asterisk.org) i use over broadband even over dialup sometimes, and it all works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

www.mywebcalls.com
    get a cisco ata and hook up your normal phone to it and you have a working voip phone
    or get a different voip phone that will use the landline for local cals and the ethernet connection for international phones
    yes, it works

I should add that FWD lets you get an incoming number in the US or UK for free, add an ata device such as a sipura or a cisco ata186 and you can use a normal telephone.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

In relation to this crowd www.voipirl.ie if you have unbundled dsl from esat do you effectively have a phone line without paying line rental?
    Or do you still need some link with eircom??

Also discussed in this thread

If you just have dsl on the line and no eircom line (dialtone) thats all you need to get a phone line yes. Most ATA units now will actually give you 2 ports, so you would get 2 lines!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Just out of interest... what happened to all the companies that work via software? And more importantly, do any of them give free trials?

Skype is subscribing nearly 1m new users each month. There are several sw-to-sw VOIP options out there:

Quick Links to VOIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i don;t think i was clear, i actually meant run a piece of software on your computer, and call real world numbers, like 01-4941234 for really cheap. Its exactly like the companies that have been mentioned, but without the expensive hardware side of it.

It seems cheaper and handier than buying those 130eur boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

just a question here
    how much would an IP phone cost from someone like cisco?
    used them and set them up in collage on a LAN, they seem pretty nifty

Advertisement