Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

know someone who wires up hi fi speakers?

Options
  • 19-10-2003 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

my mum loves her stereo system to bits and has had it a number of years. basically she has it in the front room connected to two speakers and it is also connected to two speakers in the kitchen next door. there is some sort of switching device that lets you choose whether you want the music to come through in the kitchen, living room or both rooms.

the only problem is that the speakers were never wired up right! and lately things have got much worse e.g. it will often act up and sound will only come out of one speaker /no speakers in a particular room. it took so long to get it working the other day in the living room that she says she will never go near it again! so now when she is pottering round the kitchen, she just listens to a tinny little radio instead! and the whole thing is really annoying her cos she loves her classical music.

now my mum is great at knowing who to ring for most problems and she sorts us all out like only mothers can. but she reckons there is *nobody* out there who deals with calling to people's houses and wiring up stereo speakers for them. doing it ourselves is out and i think it was some sort of electrician guy we used to know that did the wonky job originally.
    she says i'll never find anyone to fix it but i figure someone at boards knows a company or a few people who do this sort of thing!

sorry for ramblin on but i know next to nothin about all this audio visual stuff - any help would be really appreciated! :)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

A friend of mine is a bit of a hifi expert, I'm sure he'd be willing to have a look at it for you.
    He works as an electronic engineer by day, but does a lot of that type of thing by night.

I'll PM his mobile number to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

where abouts are you located ?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

knew i'd forget something important - thanks martin! i'm in blanch/castleknock (dublin 15) so contact details for anyone in dublin should be fine... and thx for the reply samson :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Since Samson replied first, I won't steal that job :p
    But if it doesn't work out, give me a shout and I'm sure we could work something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

thanks martin :) my mum will be made up that all is not lost!
    and paying a quick visit to the friendly folk at boards sure beats spending an afternoon workin through the golden pages tryind not to sound like a complete idiot :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

probably too late to offer help but it's here if you want it. I'm in Castleknock/Dublin15 and have my house wired-up for multi-room audio. PM me if I can be of help. No charge for my time - about time I put something back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you are at all comfortable with taking things apart I would try a squirt of switch cleaner into the pot behind the balance knob (if it has one). That sorts mine out about once a year.
    To see if this is the problem, when a speaker isn't working crank the volume right up and see if the sound comes back.

Advertisement