Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

80's Music

• 19-10-2003 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

What bands were into in the 1980s:

I liked Deacon Blue, Pretenders, A House, A-Ha, Kate Bush, 4 of us, Stunning, etc.

But I also liked stuff like Howard Jones & Cyndi Lauper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

..........Level 42, Rick Astley........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I love all the hair metal! Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, AC/DC...etc. The 80s U2 stuff is good aswell and there are soooo many other great cheesy songs to mantion them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

A-ha...Curiosity Killed The Cat...Madonna...Five Star...Bros...
    Gotta stop now before I embaress myself anymore!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Trouble, Celtic Frost, Nuclear Assault, Death Angel, Death, Manowar, Kreator, Armored Saint, Van Halen, David Lee Roth, S.O.D., Melvins, Voivod... man the 80's were great years for Metal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by Cork
    What bands were into in the 1980s:

I liked Deacon Blue, Pretenders, A House, A-Ha, Kate Bush, 4 of us, Stunning, etc.

But I also liked stuff like Howard Jones & Cyndi Lauper.

Yanno what, I actually seen the stunning twice when I was about 15, both times in my local nightclub/watering hole. Bouncers were a lot less strict back then. Never fully appreciated how good they were 'til they broke up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

Madonna, U2 and several "one hit wonders'" that had the best 80's songs, like:
    Men Without Hats-"Safety Dance"
    Dexy's Midnight Runners "Come on Eileen"
    And the one song that I always think of when I think of the 80's, "Melt With You" by Modern English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The Cars were also cool. I never was crazy about "Drive" but their other songs were pretty good.

Belinda Carisle had "Turn a light on".

It is so hard getting much 80's stuff on Cd.

Red Box "Lean on me"
    Red Box "America"

Even Irish bands like Light A Big Fire, Auto Da Fe, etc. - It is impossible to get these congs on cd.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some great metal music in those days!

Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, Megadeth, and some Motörhead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

Judging from my extensive playlist, it is the 80's that wins out. Closely followed by the 70's and 50's. Songs and artists from the 90's and 00's are much rarer in my mp3 collection. And I'm not even old (ahem) - I'm just in my early twenties.

Even a lot of the 80's "cheesey" songs had a certain charm. And the age of artists (and yes there was a lot more artists rather than karaoke puppets compared with now/late 90's) was more broad too. Amazingly, you could be a debuting artist in the Top Forty chart even in your mid-thirties and forties. Now, it seems that the obsession with youth means that most every pop act are in their teens or twenties! Very little straying from this rule.

I get so fcuking mad when the current crop of braindead boy-'bands' / manufactured pop-'idols' cover songs from the 70's and 80's. Must ... resist ... urge .... to ... kill!

Current musical hate:
    Limp Bizkit (for the damage done to The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes")

But to finish on a plus side, I've recently bought the 7-CD box set of 80's music from the GTA:Vice City computer game. It's fantastic - the cross section of 1980's artists and styles is very well chosen. I recommend buying it. Slayer, Ozzy, Kim Wilde, The Squeeze, Roxy Music, Kate Bush, INXS, Megadeth.

Very cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round
    ahhh... takes me back (....ahem, to 1999, but we'll ignore that minor detail....)

• Advertisement

80's music has much charm - even in Ireland - A House, 4 of us, Something Happens, Auto Da Fe etc.

Top Of The Pops was essential viewing. Music was sort of universal.

Music was cheesey but music was more fun.

You had bands who had more than 2 or 3 hits.

Music Singles today last about the same length as a litre of milk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.sun80s.com/
    101.3 FM in Dublin - currently playing 101 songs in a row..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Blades
    Microdisney
    The Icon Trial
    In Tua Nua
    Saw Doctors
    Century Steel Band

Don't forget we had MT USA before MTV started in Europe - forget top of the pops...

Any chance RTE could rescreen them ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

YOUR LIVING IN THE PAST. WHY ARE YOU LIVING IN THE PAST? QUIT LIVING IN THE PAST!:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

For me it'd have to be The Cure, Echo And The Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Fall and Laibach. (Some of that from the latter part of the 80's)

...with a bit of Nick Cave and The Pixies thrown in there too....

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Don't forget we had MT USA before MTV started in Europe - forget top of the pops...

Any chance RTE could rescreen them ??? [/B]

Didn't the presenter Vinny Hanley die from AIDS? I'm sure if we saw any episodes of MT USA now we'd cringe. It just seemed great at the time because there was no music videos on telly, apart from Top Of The Pops.

(I liked Microdisney too, as well as their later incarnation, The Fatima Mansions.)

No one has ever died of AIDS. ( It was a secondary illness. )

No I don't think it would be any cringe factor - the music choices were very good esp. at the start, and unlike a lot of current staellite TV or MTV they wern't pimping records that wern't selling well. - any one remember Fairground Attratcion - "perfect" - it was seemed to be on once an hour for months.
    Ok the intros might look dated but that's part of the novelty and they were short and none of that pretentious inarticulate VJ mindless verbage that people put up with.. (Which is why I channel hop or watch Polish , German or Italian Music channels )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Madness, Talk Talk, The Human League (whos stuff I like much more now), Visage, Rush.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

The Smiths all the way. The Cure, and to show I'm not a pussy Goth kid, Big Black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    http://www.sun80s.com/
    101.3 FM in Dublin - currently playing 101 songs in a row..

Fav station of mine ! :)

Re-discovered alot of tracks that would not be played on mainstream stations thx to sun-80s.
    Fav part of 80s music is the early 80s , the new romantics and 'electro-pop' with the synthesiser tunes.
    Also a mention of 80s rock which was good like bon jovi, def leppard and of course U2 :)

Agree with all bands mentioned so far, we need an 80s revival :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I absolutely LOVED George Michael, and I dreamed of marrying him. I was 14 then, and a little later he grew a beard and was no longer as attractive. It's so weird to see him in that Last Christmas video, and to know now it must be Andrew Ridgley he was really eyeing up and not his girlfriend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Was a big kylie fan in the late eighties.

and does anyone remember madonnas outrageous "like a prayer" video that you could only see if you had super channel. imagine if they showed some the videos they show now back then

Does anybody remember "Finding Fax Future", an RTE music programme that replaced MT USA, after Vincent Hanley died? It was on Thursday nights, and again it was the only way you got to watch videos to songs other than Top of the Pops or Swap Shop. There wasn't even a presenter, each video would be introduced by any passerby walking a street in Dublin! It was only shown for one season, 1987/88.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Also for a cool selection of Gem tracks from the 70s and 80s, check out Gem FM if youre in the Dublin area. Its on 96.0. Its a bit more obscure than Sun but some absolute classics in there.

And I had the great pleasure of playing 2 of the best bands to come out of Ireland in the 1980s, or indeed ever, last week. They being the Blades and the Stars of Heaven. Great stuff.

Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

everyone who posted on this thread has now been logged! they have been registered on the "music offenders" list!! (like the sex offenders list). how dare u show ur faces in public!! especially the person who mentioned rick astley and marrying george michael!!!! jesus christ!! i feel ashamed for ur kids or any kids u have in the future!!

theres just sum things dat shud b left in the past!!! 80's music being one of them!

ps kylie is hot now! she was not back in the day! she has a nice ass now!

B-Man you must have dreadful taste in music. At least music was music then and every song had a proper career path in the music charts, unlike nowadays where there's advance sales and every week there's a new entry in at no. 1!! A song was considered a hit if it entered the top 10 then, now the record label considers dropping the artist if that's all a song gets to! It's crazy.

Band the *0's there was popular music.

There was REM, Prince, Madonna, REM, Queen, Duran Duran?

All of these bands had strings of hits.

Music today is cover versions.

Jump by the Pointer Sisters
    Mad World - Tears For Fears
    Mandy by Barry Manlow

Even - there seems to be an 80's revival going on.

Dandy Warhols, Franz Ferdenand etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by kelle
    B-Man you must have dreadful taste in music.

Don't worry, it's quite obvious he's no older than 13.

Eurythmics own my bones.

• Advertisement

i was born 31-12-1989...the days the 80's DIED!

i prefer earlier stuff like Jimi Hendrix and lynyrd skynyrd and thin lizzy. i never liked Rick Astley or kylie or any of them. and the songs that i kinda liked, when i hear them again i dont see why i liked them. there was a few good songs from the 80's though, but i cant think of any off the top of me head!

gOD, b-mAN, YOU'RE A BIT YOUNG TO BE NOTICING kYLIES'S DERRIERE

hehe if that was true it wud be my birthday 2day! regardless, kylies derriere unites men of all ages and a few women too! if she had've shown her ass off back in the 80's she would've been a lot bigger, like madonna, but i cant stand madonna! her songs are the type that bring smelly sluts up to the karaoke and sing "Like a Virgin". i dont know how shes so big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Listening to a fair bit of :

The Jam
    The Smiths

Good stuff, im 21 soon :) woot

Yes, I agree with you, B_Man. My son is nearly 3 and loves Kylie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

Kylie was **** in the 80's - Kylie is **** now

The best music thorugh the 80's, most of which originated from the punk and post punk/new wave scene ;

THE CURE
    THE STRANGLERS
    THE THE
    SOFT CELL
    HUMAN LEAGUE
    YAZOO
    ECHO AND THE BUNNYMEN
    SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES
    JOY DIVISION
    NEW ORDER
    DEVO
    KRAFTWERK
    GANG OF FOUR
    POP GROUP
    SUICIDE
    DEPECHE MODE
    THE SPECIALS
    DAVID BOWIE
    THE SLITS
    PIL

to name but a few.....

Bartley Dunnes (the days it was torn down to be replaced by that hole, break for the border was a sorry sorry day!!) was the place to drink, the cathederal Club, McGonagles, the Olympic, the source...all great clubs

• Advertisement
Advertisement