Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! win2k wont boot :(

Options
  • 19-10-2003 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi i dont really know much about pcs :[ but i was on my pc one day just browsed the net didnt download/install anything new and i turned off my pc. Came back about an hour later booted up my PC and to my horror it restarted itself i went to investigate it boots up like normal but after the windows screen loads a blue screen flashes up with white tet on it for a split second and my PC resets itself please help

( i have tried safe mode )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Do you have an ERD disk? (emergency repair disk) or a system state backup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

nope i got windows from a friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

blaster worm, www.sarc.com has a little program to fix that, will fit on a floppy .

if this works i want to marry you :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Simply reinstall the OS supplied with your PC, go out and buy an upgrade version of Windows 2000, install it , download all the service packs and patches and set it up again. Then you will have that warm fuzzy feeling that comes when you use legit software and maybe microsoft's shareholders might even allow part of the purchase price to go to the QA dept...

And part of the joy of being a registered owner of a microsoft operation system is the support you are entitled to.

You can run the command console from the Win 2k boot CD - but if it's blue screening that fast it's fairly sick..

• Advertisement

fs now i cant boot from floppy :/, how am i supposed to run this program with no windows ? through dos ? how do i access dos ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

looks like ur going to have to reinstall windows Sam

Your probly up sh*t creek!

hmm ill give ya a windows of your choice if u need one !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Exact same thing happened to me on Sunday.
    Windows won't boot into safe mode, last known config. etc.

What you do is, boot up from the install CD.
    Select the option to install Windows blah blah (not run a repair), accept the licence agreement and the installer should pick up the installation of Windows.
    It'll ask you then if you want to repair, agree to that.
    Windows will then basically reinstall itself over the current installation.
    I didn't lose any files, the service pack is rolled back and some Windows updates, other than that you'll be back into your OS.

When I did it, Windows decided the change the drive letter (I installed it on drive J:\ (don't ask :))) so I ended up reinstalling anyway, the registry was still pointing to J: for all installed programs and I couldn't be bothered trying to fix it.
    At least I was able to get at my mail etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Oh yeah, you probably have automatic updates on.
    This thing only seems to occur when you download a Windows update. At least that's the best I could get from Google.
    I'm guessing it's due to not rebooting when it tells you to. (I didn't, should know better really. I installed a few bits and pieces after that, guess that caused the screw up)

Advertisement