Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Burning Speeds

• 19-10-2003 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

System Specs
    WinXp Pro
    Nero 6
    P4 2Ghz
    1 GB SdRam (2*512 Pc133)
    2*80Gb Maxtor HDD
    MSI MS 8348 CD-RW (48 16 48) Secondary Master
    DVD Rom 16 Speed Secondary Slave

Ok, thats over with, now the problem, new build of Xp (but problem was in old system) cannot Burn at above 16 speed for love nor money, disc copy or from HDD, if I do I loose both CDRom drives from Device Manager. This is with all Media from the cheaper to the Dearer discs (most rated around 40+ speeds).

I would be greatful for any Suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

betcha your CD is PIO mode only transfer mode ... right click on My Computer and click manage, click on device manager and then click on IDE ATA/Atapi Controllers ... click on the primary ide channel (and secondary as well) and click on advanced settings and set transfer mode to DMA if Available ... reboot and see how you are getting on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Heh, cool, I just tried this, and now my 52x burns at the right speed, rather than 10x

Just tried a 700Mb CD there, 3 mins. Sh*t CDs aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pawn33

'Fraid not, both currently using Ultra DMA mode 2, I don't mind but it gets really annoying, simulation/speed test mode in nero says 40 speed max for the main media I use, so you'd think 24/32 speed would be possible. Glad it help some else though, (lend use uour drive will ya, go on, ah)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

u sure you're using 48x cd's?

At present no name 40X, had to restart tried to burn at 24x without Exactlink, lost bopth drives again, had to use, the leap of faith, "Last known good config".
    Last option, will try to stop all un-nessarry services tomorrow and try again, but a new install with only Nero, Norton Av and Winrar should not be so much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

A fresh installation won't help if by some how DMA isn't enabled on whatever channel in your BIOS.

latest update,
    Stopped most services, updated to larest ASPI drivers 4.71.2, no change, next thing will pull the offending drive and stick it into a Win98 machine and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I had this exact problem with an LG drive. I updated the firmware and hey presto: problem solved. The new firmware recognises more CD Media and knows what speeds they are capable of.

Advertisement