Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physicists smash internet speed record

Options
  • 19-10-2003 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Researchers have more than doubled the world speed record for internet data transfer.

Scientists at the CERN particle physics laboratory in Switzerland sent the equivalent of a full-length DVD movie in about seven seconds.

Colleagues at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) received the data.

The land record was set on Oct. 1 by transferring 1.1 terabytes of data over a 7,000-kilometre link in less than 30 minutes, the team said.

The average transfer rate was 5.44 gigabits per second (Gbps), which broke the previous record of 2.38 Gbps – more than 20,000 times faster than a typical home broadband connection.

Researchers announced the record on Thursday at the Internet2 conference in Indianapolis.

CBC News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

Where can I sign up for this service :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can see the panic in Hollywood
    "Oh bollix ! Sorry boss I thought it said they copy a DVD every seven seconds in Europe"

Future AOL UK Member "Am yes, hello, Im running my 5.44 gigabits per second connection and Im downloading using Kazaa Media Desktop off user mrslow56k and Im woundering why my connection is so slow and I want to cancel"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

more like the member would say"well according to Dell i have a pc thats preformance is 3.2 ghz at a speed of 400mhz and my aol still slow!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The only problem is that if Eircom were supplying it, you would run out of your 4 gig cap in under six seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Meadows
    Future AOL UK Member "Am yes, hello, Im running my 5.44 gigabits per second connection and Im downloading using Kazaa Media Desktop off user mrslow56k and Im woundering why my connection is so slow and I want to cancel"

Future AOL UK Tech Support person: "We've made enquiries and we've traced the fault back to the fact that mrslow56k is in Ireland" :D

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

More suited here.

lol :D

Dear Mr Swiss Lab Guy

The monthly fee covers charges for transporting traffic across the Internet within specified monthly limits (download allowance). eircom reserves the right to apply a charge of 3.6c (inc. VAT) per Megabyte for downloads in excess of 4GB on eircom i-stream starter.

Total This Month (€) (inc. VAT)

€54.45 Monthly fee
    €41376.15 Excess of cap
    €41430.60 Total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Meadows
    lol :D

Dear Mr Swiss Lab Guy

The monthly fee covers charges for transporting traffic across the Internet within specified monthly limits (download allowance). eircom reserves the right to apply a charge of 3.6c (inc. VAT) per Megabyte for downloads in excess of 4GB on eircom i-stream starter.

Total This Month (€) (inc. VAT)

€54.45 Monthly fee
    €41376.15 Excess of cap

€41430.60 Total

LOL:D

You forgot to say "Please send your cheque to The Rat c/o Eircom.

:D:D

Advertisement