Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Dublin Hi-Fi Show 2003 **

Options
  • 19-10-2003 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

The 2003 Dublin Hi-Fi Show is coming soon......watch my signature for more details....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

or the 1st and 2nd of November in the Burlington Hotel? Its been advertised in Hi-Fi Choice for the past two months... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Well duuugghhhh.....:rolleyes:

But they on't tell you the special offers for members of the club, or does it ?:D

Ok, so who came to the show ?
    What did you enjoy the best ?
    What did you not ?

Sennheiser reps hadn't a clue. literally.. wasn't impressed at all with their setup or knowledge, hooking the HD650 up to a bog standard yamaha dvd player is not going to get the most out of those cans (or the 600s for that matter).
    Arcam were very friendly and talked me through the differences between the models and upgrade paths.
    PMC room was amazing, and I really liked their whole talk on their range.. was literally blown away by their BB5, I've never heard such a live experience from speakers before... loved their FB and OB1s as well.
    Wasn't overly impressed with Krells room, looked great, sounded very average.
    Rotels setup was quite nice and sounded excellent for the very small size of the room.
    One thing that bugged me though was the terrible use of projectors.. if you're using them then blackout the room and at least make an effort to have them centered properly (Yamaha!).
    Nice to see Naims music label present.. theres some great artists and albums to be found on there.
    Prices were still ridiculous everywhere.

Hi Kali
    You were there and you haven't said hello ?! :confused:

I agree with the Senn demo and in general you should note that a Show is not suppose to get the best sound of each system - usually the rooms are small, the set-up is not optimal.
    There are a lot of manufacturers that won't even plug their equipment because they believe that it's better not to hear it than hearing something bad and get the wrong perception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

Not a regular here, by chance noticed your posting announcing the show (thanks!) so I went on Sunday.
    It was warm, cramped, busy, sweaty, but really worth it. I was amazed by the emphasis on listening. I have not had a chance to listen to so much high end stuff ever before in my life :) Although almost all systems are out of reach for my budget, I at least got to listen to all of them and in the process assembled a list of great sounding reference music that I will be playing on my own system :)
    But, except for the PMC guys, most did a poor job explaining what we were listening to, maybe I was expected to just recognize the equipment from studying magazines for a year but I don't and it got annoying to have to ask every time.
    Anyway, I walked out of the Hotel a bit dizzy from the attacks on my ear drums, specially by the PMC big box, but with a smile on my face! Now I have to start saving.

Glad you liked it.
    See PM.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

I really enjoyed the visit on Saturday, despite the fact that I had a hangover :rolleyes:

Highlight was the Nordost room. I was always a bit of a skeptic regarding the differences between cables, power cords, use of anti-static sprays etc. However the demo given by Nordost was a bit of an eye-opener. I could plainly hear differences in the sound with each modification made.

Also, the kit used by them (Primare and System Audio) was very impressive.

In spite of a friend's warning though, my own system didn't suddenly sound like crap when I got home. I think it can hold its own against many of the rigs at the show, but maybe I will add a few tweaks.

Big surprise was the number of setups that I found mediocre, e.g. the Krell gear, ditto most of the home cinema demos, and as Kali said the projectors were just terrible. I think the Yamaha room had a DLP (?) machine fed with a Mustek DVD player in a brightly lit room. As expected, it looked crap. Makes me wonder why they bothered turning up, they certainly won't sell any projectors based on that.

Finally, who in their right mind would buy that thing out in the reception area, four plasma screens bolted together. You have to watch your movies with a bloody great cross-hairs down the middle!!

Anyway, well done to Cloney for organising a great day out.

Originally posted by MartinHSabag
    Hi Kali
    You were there and you haven't said hello ?! :confused:

hehe oops what room were you mostly hanging around in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

bugger,

completely missed it this year....and i fecking wanted to check about amps.....anyone see the new amp from Pioneer...??

anyone, please,anyone,bueller,anyone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Two years I won the Sony DVD costing 1500 euro and they tried to fob me off with a 500 euro one. In the end I got the 1500 euro one.
    I always felt the show could be in a bigger premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bucon

Pioneer weren't there, i was looking forward to checking the new stuff out.

And also Cyrus were missing...the brand dearest to me! :)

And Cyrus' step brother Mission missing!

Bucon.

Advertisement