Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wiper issue

• 19-10-2003 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone help? Got 2nd hand car but the wipers hit off the upper side of the corner of the windscreen making a banging noise....drving me around the bend

Can you tell me if buying a smaller pair of wipers would solve my problem?

Also what could i expect to pay for them? And are wipers generic?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ya, there's some company who make wipers for pretty much every car in the world.

You can go into any car shop (The motor store for example) and they should have a rack of blades, and a booklet detailing which blades are for which cars.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Cheers for that

Any idea on cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Looks like someone changed the whole wiper arm at some stage and fitted it back improperly. Just lift the cap, undo the nut and lift the arm off then put it back on the spline about a notch or two lower.

This normally happens because when you put them back on, the blade will stick to the window and sit a bit lower than it would after its been operated. Either that or like seamus said, someone fitted blades that were too long.

I tried that..i took off nut and tried to lift the wiper frame off but it was not budging.
    I didnt want to force it off just incase it had to be loosened somewhere else also. Is it ok just to yank it off i.e. should i expect some resistence?

Tks

99 Opel Astra BTW

I have never taken one off an astra before, but usually the arm can be jammed fairy tight and can be removed by, for example putting a thin piece of wood below and levering carefully with a screwdriver while alternately putting a bit of tension on the other side by lifting the arm to unstick it. Also, check for any type of lockwasher etc. on the top of the spline before trying.

Be fairly gentle and make sure you don't slip and damage the paintwork. Maybe someone else has done it and can give you any specifics before you try again.

Best of luck

• Advertisement

can you tell me what a lockwasher is...havent a clue about this sort of thing

Sounds good though may try again tomorrow

Well it would be a washer with the indentations of the spline on it which may be pushed onto it. You would have seen it if it was there. You're not that likely to find one but I was just covering any possibilities I could think of having never seen an astra blade...

Advertisement