Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qizmo anyone?

Options
  • 12-08-1999 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, could the people the run the indigo.server's plz put a qizmo proxy up for us to use?
    With qizmo compresion quake would be alot better for the HPB's and the LPB's.

If you dont know how to do it, post here or mail me.

ser@azeroth.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

thats right we need a qizmo for compression.
    When setup right it enables ppl to double there bandwidth. That means modemers would have around 112K of bandwidth and ppl with ISDN would have the equivalent of 128k ISDN line when theyre only using one 64 k one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cyan

Yeah..I couldn't agree more. On weekdays I get terrible pings (210-300) and having qizmo compression would be brilliant..We badly need it.

Cyan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Sounds great, but where can I get a client-side Quizmo? (URL anyone?)

Get muppited at:
    http://drive.to/mobius

http://qizmo.sci.fi for all your qizmo needs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Yah it would be great smile.gif

Since your here ser would connecting to the barrysworld quizmo when playing on the uk servers be much better?

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Nope, we had one b4, and ppl used it to hop to BW and lagged our server...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Ah but barrysworld has one now so ppl can use it now

john.barrysworld.com

Most people dont know how to use it anyway cheeky.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    DK 0wns U

Slosh rather than trashing the idea completly based upon one attempt perhaps a discussion on the problems you
    encountered with an admin who is experienced in using Qizmo as a service to players such as Zarjazz of Barryworld.
    For example I know that masking can be used which can stop ppl routing externally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

check the CPU/RAM usage on the server
    ill bet it wasnt lack of bandwidth that was lagging the indigo qizmo, but lack of processing power when too many people connected. a qizmo proxy with compression enabled serving about 16 ppl would use lots of cpu + ram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Brian,

Afaik, the reason why the qizmo server was sh1tty before was that it actually resided on the SAME physical PC as the quake servers that one was connecting to. By doing this it forced the Qizmo packets over the local non-qizmo packets and made things rather phucked.

Is there a chance that the qizmo server could be ran on a different pc as to the servers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

So how much would this drop pings by? Lets say you get a soild 130 ping most of the time will it drop it to sub 100??

If so, it gets my vote.

El_pres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

it makes **** all difference to ping, but it alows you to more than double your rate, so you don't start getting jerkiness and huge ping increases mid fight.
    And you can set an admin password on qizmo and stop ppl connect outside of certain ips to stop ppl hopping to england. Would be cool, but I don't see why indigo shoudl bother? How many of you guys are even subscribing to them?
    Quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

This is all lovely sounding but how can I do it?
    Qizmo lasts for 15 minutes doesnt it unless u get the reg version?
    someone explain how i use this qizmo proxy to improve etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

OL....would ya give us a call?

Qizmo lasts for 50 minutes now with the unregistered version Brian.
    And gimme me mouse back ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Give me an address to send it to ffs!
    Is it Santa@northpole?.

Advertisement