Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Clicksilver Speeds?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I only got it last week but I was getting pretty shoddy speeds, about 180Kbps on BandwidthPlace and the same or less on the other speed test sites I tried. On FTP transactions, the connections were starting out at 30KB/s but working their way down very quickly to about 20KB/s on my server in Dublin, and 16-17KB/s on a server in the U.S.

I contacted UTV about it this morning and they sent me some info on connection tweaking and a little app that BT provides them with, presumably for their customers in the North. All the app does (as far as I can see) is set the MTU on all your interfaces, however I noticed that it was setting it to 1458, and not 1452 as has been suggested as the ideal figure down here.

After a reboot the speeds did seem to improve, although it was a little hit and miss; so I manuually adjusted the MTU for all the interfaces to 1452 and that does seem to have improved it appreciably. Connections to my server in Ireland are a bit off, but an FTP transaction with a server in the U.S. is definitely better and I'm getting nigh-on full whack on a download from UTV's webspace, which hints that my Irish server is just a bit overloaded at the moment. The speed test results are inconclusive though, I think I'll try them again tonight.

[I had done this already, but not for all of my interfaces.]

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I got CS on Thursday last.

I notice that on normal browsing or doing a straight download through HTTP the speeds average around 180 to 250.

If I use Download Accelerator or multiple connections on a newsserver then my speeds will jump to 440-480 and stay there for the duration of the download.

Dowloading the articles on a newsserver also happens in the 180-250 range.

I asked on another thread if there was any tweak to get HTTPing up to those speeds.

There is no doubt that the bandwith is there it's just how to maximise it.

It's flying as we speak. Took a day off to play with it (away for the weekend) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

just got CS package today - so far not bad
    pings are nice (ok, it's day so not contended at all)
    downloads - single threaded download (vie IE for example) jumps between 20-35K/s
    I need to open 2-3 simultaneous connections (per reged) to max out the pipe but then it stays stable
    will check tommorow night how it is during the 'peak' time for broadband - 6-11pm

I need to open 2-3 simultaneous connections (per reged)
    Exactly what I need to know :)

How do I do that?

use a download manager to open multiple http connections per file
    I use reget as I find it the best :)
    http://www.reget.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I however I noticed that it was setting it to 1458, and not 1452 as has been suggested as the ideal figure down here.

After a reboot the speeds did seem to improve, although it was a little hit and miss; so I manuually adjusted the MTU for all the interfaces to 1452 and that does seem to have improved it appreciably.

I did the same and it didn't help at all, still getting a max 18k/s from HTTP/FTP downloads.

Told them about it on the newsgroup over a month ago and nothing's been done :|

I'm getting mixed results so far, but I'll let it run a few days. If your connections are consistently below 250/25 though, you should give them a ring. RADSL isn't guaranteed to provide 500, but it should be providing 250 anyway.

[EDIT: I have an ethernet modem coming in the next day or two as well, so we'll see how that goes.]

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

had utv broadband a few months now, speeds are ok during the day and pretty decent at night, main problem is those damn cut off and i have to restart my modem, note prblem is probably my end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ran the Bandwidth Place test a few times - earlier (around 5pm) I was getting 108 kbps and a second test yielded only 101 kbps.. Now (7:45pm) I'm gettin even less - 91.8 kbps!! :(

I tried changing the MTU settings on both boxes here to those suggested above (I use a NAT/proxy setup) and ran the test again from both PCs (this one and the one the modem is directly connected to), but same thing.

Dublin 15 area btw if anyone cares to compare..I think a call to Support is in order tomorrow, but like PiE, I posted this on the Newsgroup last night and other than an initial reply asking what modem I'm using, the only other feedback seems to be from users with the same sorta issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

whats the pings like on weekday nights to clarity.jolt.co.uk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 50ms

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=55

Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 52ms

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=55
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=55

Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 52ms

Here you go....

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=56
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=56

Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 47ms

Originally posted by silent
    use a download manager to open multiple http connections per file
    I use reget as I find it the best :)
    http://www.reget.com/

I know. Read my previous post :)

Most people seem to be getting speeds of around 200 or significantly less ( than ISDN) when using the net with one connection i.e. HTTP, ftp or downloading headers on usenet. I'm no techie but there has to be a simple explaination for this. Messing with MTU's & TCP Receive stuff doesn't seem to improve this situation. Could there be a hardware compatability issue?

With multiple simultanious connections the speeds fly. I see elsewhere that Eircon customers are not having this problem. mmmm :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Where would the hardware compatability issue be? I have used both a router and an ethernet modem and it does not make any difference!

As pings mean nothing to me and I am not a game player I prefer to stick with something I can understand:) when it comes to understanding the speed - so is it fairly safe to assume so far that say apart from the UTV speed test which usually gives me about double what bandwicth place or giganews gives me (and it has been acknowledged in the UTV support group that the UTV download test will always be pretty speedy) that very few people so far ever manage over 200 without a download manager?

It does seem to be a network issue, or at least the posts here seem to suggest that anyway.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Yeah, I've been on Clicksilver a few weeks and it's been like that since the start. Multiple source downloads fly along, but single source usually won't even hit 20KB/s. Browsing can get slow at times too, but that's probably more to do with time of day/congestion.
    Ping times are generally fairly low and stable, so gaming is okay.

The last I heard from UTV was: "We have had several reports of low speeds in the Dublin area and Eircom management are currently investigating it" which I'm sure everyone will find very re-assuring :D

I'm in Cork. The idea of having to do multiple source downloads to get the speed I'm paying for has the potential for a high annoyance factor. Patience adam, patience...

adam

well I've just emailed Support now (mentioned I'd been looking thru the newsgroups and this forum too and see the same sorta story), so I'll feedback on anything they tell me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Yeah i have Clicksilver a week now and as i have reported in a previous post the speeds for browsing are just not good enough. We are not getting DSL speeds.At times 56k would be faster. The next question is why?????? Surely we should be getting speeds as good as Eircon customers. Its the same line after all. UTV need to fix this and fast or alot of there customers are not gonna be happy.

Mike

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Forgive my lack of technical knowledge but if as someone up above says they are only getting say 20kbs is that the same as saying they are getting less half of dial up speed on a 56k modem?

• Advertisement

i guess not, it should be 22K, some people just don't stick to the common way of either capitizing B when talking about bytes or writing it as 22K/s ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

I hate to barge in on a non Netsource thread :o), but Clicksilver seem to be suffering from the same problems that will plague most of the popular DSL ISPs as long as eircom deliver the wholesale product the way they do.

DSL is provided as an IP level link (L2TP) to the ISP ... effectively ruining any chance the ISP has of doing their own traffic shaping. They also seem to be refusing to sell bandwidth in larger chunks to the ISPs.

Effectively they're putting the contention on the backhaul, not on the exchanges. This is a lot of what causes poor download speeds ... (a 56kbps modem gives about 4KB/s BTW)
    48 heavy users sharing a 512kbps link can each expect to get about 1.5KB/s at best.

As for pingtimes ... they'll suffer if your uplink is saturated ... so do yourselves a favour - and kill off that file-sharing app before you try to play games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

The 56k comment was a bit exaggerated:) Sorry about that.From what you are saying this means that only people getting there service from Eircon are getting the speeds they should be and we never will get good browsing speeds we should.This is not just a UTV problem then IOL have this too? Is there anyone getting good browsing speeds from UTV or IoL?

to be honest, I'd love to see people abandoning the idiotic file-sharing apps alltogether :(

I think that for the next few months this radsl services will suffer for various reasons (as pron explained eircom refusing to upgrage isp's backhaul, people using their connection to the full - eg. file sharing crap etc) - but eventually in Q2 when dsl will be upgraded (eircom will have to do something as all telcos around the world - increase speeds, introduce multi-tiered products for residential dsl) then we might get better connections. sad but true
    maybe then we will be able to get 1.5M links unlimited for 65E/m :)

edit: I thought I just do a test about ping speeds - 6:47p now and looks very nice
    UK pings are averaging a steady 55ms to different servers
    US pings are averaging 150-180ms
    not bad, however I do not game anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so in other words... sign up for i-stream. Unless of course youre perfectly happy with 22k/sec for the next 400 years :(

This is a right kick in the nuts. It's bad enough I had to get an eircom line installed, now its seeming that to get an anyway decent dsl service I'll be going back to eircom!

Quick update: I tossed the USB modem aside a few days ago and plugged the UTV connection into a Netgear DM602 instead, which plugs into my LAN router. The Bandwidth Place and Giganews speed tests still return woeful results but FTP and WWW connections are noticably better. Which is all I give a toss about really. Could be a coinkadink, but if it stays like this I reckon I'll be happy enough.

adam

I too switched the supplied zyxel 630 for an ethernet based bridge - speedstream 5360 - no change
    Martin Lyons (UTV CTO) posted yesterday in the utv support group, asking for some details of those people who were having problems so he can chase it up, I suggest everyone who has dismal single threaded speeds (which can't be down to contention) to email him as he requested with your name and landline number, subject DSL Speed issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keltik7

Totally uninspired by this Clicksilver - we have Esat BB in work and DL's are upto 60KB's - I'm getting 6.63KB's DL'ing "Reget" as recommended elswhere in this thread.

Results from the two test sites are:

Speed
    81.1 kilobits per second

Communications 81.1 kilobits per second
    Storage 9.9 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 1.7 minutes
    Subjective rating Slow

Explain results
    Info
    Date & time Saturday, October 25, 3:10PM*
    Test type IDT4 Free
    Connection type ADSL
    Region Europe
    Data size 605KB
    IP address 194.46.84.137
    Provider RIPE Network Coordination Centre

* CDT (-0500)
    Start a test
    ADSL connection in Europe

©2003 Bandwidth Place Privacy policy

Test Your Connection Speed
    The following page will send a large datafile to your browser and time how long it takes.

This should closely approximate the download rates you will get from the Giganews

news servers.

97kbps

I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered getting rid of ISDN nearly the same speed - not even going to get into network cable unplugged errors and error 734

Any ideas on how to make this work would be appreciated

Thx

in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

The IOL BB seems to be the best RADSL at the moment. People should stick to that. As a comparision NTL BB gives me ~550Kbps. When I had Eircom ADSL I got full speed and stable pings all of the time. That was Eircom istream Solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by silent
    Martin Lyons (UTV CTO) posted yesterday in the utv support group, asking for some details of those people who were having problems so he can chase it up, I suggest everyone who has dismal single threaded speeds (which can't be down to contention) to email him as he requested

see this is exactly why I went to Eircom instead of any other ISP. First of all, I had Indigo subscription Isdn, which was excellent for gaming and browsing (excellent for Isdn anyway).. then I went to UtvIP which was ok for browsing but $hite for gaming... I complained and complained and every so often I got a little hope by seeing the guys from Utv trying to 'chase up' problems with bad pings. After months of chasing up and getting nowhere, I gave up and when Dsl became available I dived right in with Netsource, which looking back now was a bad mistake as their Dsl service was basically crap. I had unstable high pings (sometimes like 56k standard) plus slow internet speeds for 5 bloody months... 3 times I taught "Yippee, they've finally fixed the problems", but low and behold within a few days the service was back to normal. Finally I gave up and left, was back on indigo Isdn for a few weeks which wasn’t to bad at all except the paying by the minute thingy
    I decided to go back to Eircom as in my experience they have been the most reliable and lowest pings. I'd rather accept the download limit, then wait for people to chase up my problems. And now here I am on Eircom's Dsl, enjoying having really low pings all the time and full download speeds all the time, no problems to report

Advertisement