Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Clicksilver Speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ando has a point... I went with UTV based on my prior experience with UTVip (XL) and their responsiveness here and elsewhere...but - when I signed up for ClickSilver I expected broadband speeds, not just a (relatively) slight increase on what I was already getting..I'm starting to regret my decision to be honest. As much as I hate to admit it, I would've lived with the higher price and lower cap if it meant I was gettin what I was paying for - example: right now Im downloading the 91MB Matrix Revolutions trailer from whatisthematrix.com - using GetRight, multi-source/accelerated (4) download..STILL only 15.4K/sec :(

I've contributed in the newsgroup and mailed UTV Support (and Martin) directly and while - in fairness to him - the guy I've been dealing with has been very nice and suggested various things to try, they seem to be treating this as isolated/rare problems (which I suppose they HAVE to do..can't very well admit to the entire customer base that there's serious problems) and I'm still no closer to a resolution.. maybe I'm wrong, but I think that from judging the posts here and on the newsgroup, this seems a lot more widespread than just "here and there" - given the various areas affected and taking into account that for every person that bothers to post about it, there must be several who dont?

Also (referring back to dahamsta's post), if a new modem helps then great - but he/we shoudn't HAVE to replace the supplied hardware just to get a better result I think.

I think UTV need to clearly state their position on the matter and keep us up-to-date on the progress. I'm willing to be patient if I can see evidence of improvement but "we're looking into it..." isn't really good enough for the money we're paying and the fact that we're tied into a 12 month contract on a product that is thus far completely failing to meet up to its description :(

The way things are now they're just prepping eircom's next set of customers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Well said Kaiser i agree totally with everything you've said. They are treating it like its isolated but its spread over a wide area, Dublin,Cork and i'm in Waterford to name a few places. Your right not everyone with problems is gonna post. This is not DSL we are getting. I must admit my download speeds using Flashget are good but we are missing out on so much by getting such poor browsing speeds. Its just very disapointing. Can someone who is getting good speeds while browsing post some of there speedtest results if you are with Clicksilver.

Mike

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And now here I am on Eircom's Dsl, enjoying having really low pings all the time and full download speeds all the time, no problems to report

I would be very interested to hear/see what sort of speeds Eircom and Iol customers are getting.

I am very disappointed with UTV´s very slow response to this problem - it has been going on for ages and they have been blaming people´s lines and the weather (this at añ time when we were having the best spell of weather for years!) and so on - just see previous threads in the newsgroup and in fact several complaints about the speed of Clicksilver were ignored completely while other relatively inane request were acted on straight away.

It is very difficult to fathom UTV´s attitude and even in the current situation it took UTV over a week to respond to two very irate threads and then the claim was that the thread had been overlooked!!!!

I suppose their response is in line with the speed that the Clicksilver product is offering to a lot of people!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keltik7

just to add I'm in East Galway so regional spread of the problem is very much N. S. E. and W.

If buying a new modem will help I would gladly buy one - can someone confirm /deny this - thx

Don't waist your money on a new Modem. Ive tried the one they gave and my Netgear Wireless Router and it did'nt make any difference. The speeds are still crap.Yes it seems it is a widespread problem all over the country. Utv seem to have there head in the sand and denying there's a problem. For example on the Newsgroup yesterday Charles (from UTV) said that nobody rang there supports lines about the problem. I think its time that we bombard them with complaints. They might sit up and take notice then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

hi all,

at this stage i feel i have to agree with what has been said in this thread.have had clicksilver since july and although i can and do get 50-55k when using flashget to pull down a game demo or movie trailer eveything else is crap.browsing is little if any better than 56k. other downloads just dont happen.period.the main problem i find with browsing is that you get a burst of speed then it stalls and so on.

i have called support at least 20 times in the last month on this matter and they just fob me off.emails have been totally ignored.this is not the standard i expect from utv at all.this is their flagship product so this sort of attitude is crazy. i have sent an email saying i wont be renewing my contract.naturally it was ignored.i even referenced this thread in an email.ignored. i use my own router but have reconnected the utv hardware which has no effect at all.i do feel that it is not a contention issue as at 7am this morning it took 5 minutes 2 pull down 3 plain text emails.the utv speedtest has told me everything from 12k to 11.5Mbps.if only.

sorry for the rant but its been building up in me for ages lol.

jack.

Thats the same for me intial burst of speed then the page stops for a while and starts again. We are all having the same problems it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

We are currently chasing this as a priority. I will post an update as soon as possible. Certainly within our own network we are nowhere near saturation :(

Martin.

We are currently chasing this as a priority. I will post an update as soon as possible. Certainly within our own network we are nowhere near saturation

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that..I think part of our frustration has been a result of the lack of a clear response from yourselves - can we then take it that there IS indeed some issue beyond user setups/individual lines & exchanges as has been the suggestion thus far?

Hope its not a false dawn but my speeds have dramatically got better in the last half hour. I got 48.0KB/s at bandwidth place. At Adsl Guide got 51.8KB/s. Streaming video playing at 350k with no buffering at all.So this is what DSL is all about. Let me know if you guys are getting the same speeds. Did you do anything UTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by dahamsta

I contacted UTV about it this morning and they sent me some info on connection tweaking and a little app that BT provides them with, presumably for their customers in the North. All the app does (as far as I can see) is set the MTU on all your interfaces, however I noticed that it was setting it to 1458, and not 1452 as has been suggested as the ideal figure down here.

adam

started a new thread on this as it might be helpfull.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122202

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

just ran the utv speedtest. 96k nuff said on that i think.

thanks for the response martin but i for one would like something a bit more detailed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

If people who had poor speeds can keep us up to date please, Im just about to join either utv or iol, would prefer to go utv so if this problem is solved now, I'd like to know, will wait a week or two.

We are currently chasing this as a priority. I will post an update as soon as possible. Certainly within our own network we are nowhere near saturation
    Martin,

Its about bloody time and perhaps you would explain why it has taken so much posting to get UTV 'active' on this?

Perhaps you could also say what ´chasing this as a priority´actually means? It sounds a lot like politician speak to me!!

You have been aware that there is a problem with Clicksilver for months and yet only now are you chasiting it as a priority! Did you think that people were fantasising or something?

Are UTV as slow to pursue customers whose record on paying their monthly fees is as slow as Clicksilver is for lots of people. I bet not!!!
    Hi Martin,Thanks for that

Kaiser I congratulate you on your courtesy and normally I am a great advocate of courtesy but I truly think we are being far too nice to UTV on this issue.

To be thanking somebody who tells us after months that they are áctively pursuing the Clicksilver problem is far too kind in my opinion. We should now be starting to think of demanding a proportionate refund for the very poor quality of product we have been getting!!!!

Would you put up with paying 47.5 euros a month for anything else that performed as poorly as Clicksilver?

Hope its not a false dawn but my speeds have dramatically got better in the last half hour. I got 48.0KB/s at bandwidth place. At Adsl Guide got 51.8KB/s. Streaming video playing at 350k with no buffering at all.So this is what DSL is all about. Let me know if you guys are getting the same speeds. Did you do anything UTV?

Buy a lottery ticket immediately and watch out for those flying pigs too:)

On second thoughts maybe it is possible to post during a great dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Dog slow earlier.

Flying now. It might just be sorted ;)

From bandwidthplace.com:

Communications 408 kilobits per second
    Storage 49.8 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 20.6 seconds
    Subjective rating Not bad

& it's getting better as we type!

Beee jay is this what broadband is like!!!

Deadly! Please don't touch anything Martin!

Looks like some sort of throttling/rate limiting has been inadvertantly left in place by one of our upstream providers (that drops the DSL tunnels onto our network). This had been previously checked and doublechecked and we were assured that no limit was in place....but information this morning suggests that info was just wrong. We're getting this lifted asap. Will post more info hopefully in an hour or so.
    Its about bloody time and perhaps you would explain why it has taken so much posting to get UTV 'active' on this?
    Unfortunately because it wasn't affecting all our customers and certainly not the DSL circuits we had access to, when it was raised both Eircom and Esat pointed to contention within the DSLAMs. This, although unlikely, was semi plausible especially given certain recent circumstances such as Eircom not having any available DSL ports in Cork. We have been actively chasing these speed issues since the first one was raised with us and had our network thoroughly checked and were given a green light. Obviously this was not the case and we will be following up the circumstances surrounding this.

Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Checked again this morning before leaving for work and it is still flying. Getting a steady 438k/s on the giganews test.

It feels like a new computer.

Well done Martin, I knew you'd get it sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

hurrah hurrah... my faith is somewhat restored!

Now instead of you all disappearing with your newly sorted clicksilver account, can everyone that complained in the first place make another post to confirm that their speed is what it should be?

Purely for my own impending market research of course...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Kicked my Netgear last night for some reason, but back up and running now and flying. Thanks Martin.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

same here, full pipe with one connection
    did not expect a solution that soon but hey :) I'm happy
    thanks for info Martin for what the reason was

Will check this afternoon/evening and let ye all know..was stillvery poor at around 7.30 this morning (logged on to check :)) but by the sounds of it, this may take care of it.

Originally posted by dub45
    Buy a lottery ticket immediately and watch out for those flying pigs too:)

On second thoughts maybe it is possible to post during a great dream!

Yes have bought the lottery ticket and those pigs are still flying high. As the original poster of the change in speeds i gladly report that they are still flying 51.9KB/sec at Adslguide. Well done to Martin for getting this sorted.Well done to everyone who highlighted the issue.I'm off to enjoy my new speeds.

Mick

Unfortunately because it wasn't affecting all our customers and certainly not the DSL circuits we had access to,

Martin,

Again I have to point out that this has been going on for months and you have made all sorts of claims of what might be causing it none of course down to your good selves. In the light of what you say above about not having access to some DSL circuits can you say exactly what quality controls UTV have in place and what´s to stop this happening again?

Why did you manage to find the solution now and not months ago?

Will you be arranging for a partial refund to those of us who have been putting up with the inferior product you have been providing and your very poor cusomer service since the arrival of Clicksilver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by dub45
    Why did you manage to find the solution now and not months ago?
    Originally posted by Martin-UTVi
    This had been previously checked and doublechecked and we were assured that no limit was in place....but information this morning suggests that info was just wrong

Give that provider a swift kick in the balls for me.

5:10PM... I'm afraid it seems that the problems haven't been sorted for everyone - at least not me :( Still getting the same 6-18 type rate as before..in fact I can't even get to www.u.tv now (pinging it times out too).

Dublin 15 area...anyone else having the same probs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Originally posted by Kaiser2000
    Dublin 15 area...anyone else having the same probs?

last hour it was the same for me - 30K/s with 4 threads, but now it seems slightly better - download from IE (single file, 1 connection)- between 20K and 35K - definitely better than last week. Contention kicking in maybe on our exchange?
    would love to hear how other people's connection is now
    oh and yeah, u.tv webpage won't open, they had some major issues lately I think as it's very often hat I can't open it in the last month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

There's a massive improvement here. Downloads are flying along at 47KB/s on a single thread.

Cheers Martin.

We have one more piece of work that is currently scheduled to take place on our circuit tomorrow morning at 9am. This should not affect our ROI DSL service. Apologies for the recent speed problems.

Martin.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the recent speed problems

Martin,

It is extremely frustrating that you continue to avoid answering very pertinent questions and I for one am still far from satisfied with these terse responses.

The questions you dont like or find difficult to answer you just continuously ignore.

Will it take UTV as long again to deal with a problem that is not affecting 'all of our customers´? Is that the only type of problem that UTV take seriously?

As I was one of the first (if not the first) to point out that Clicksilver was not living up to its promise I can certainly confirm that these are not 'recent´speed problems by any means.

I asked you above what arrangements are in place to ensure a quality product in future and you have avoided this question.

Can I also ask you how much control UTV actually have over the product they are supplying to us? If something like this can be left in place for ages then obviouly not a lot. Again I refer to a question I raised ages ago in the support group and of course got no answer to and that is what service level agreements (if any!) are in place between UTV and their providers? if there were any effective ones in place surely this would not have happened?

I also asked will you be arranging for a refund to those of us who have not been receiving the product we have been continuously paying for and again you avoided the question.

As far as I am aware the apology above is the first time that it has been given in any shape or form to those of us who had to put up with the so called poor quality of our lines being questioned and the weather and so on.

Advertisement