Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Clicksilver Speeds?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

As I was one of the first (if not the first)

Fair play to ya!

It seems odd to me that you are venting your frustration on a public forum with such venum. Have you rang Martin? Mailed him? Mabye you have but since when did this forum become UTV support?
    I for one am very happy with UTV's response to this problem. It's (hopefully) sorted. UTV don't control the mechanism to provide ADSL to the masses. That privelage has been given by one moron (Mary O'R) to another band of morons.

Your ranting is beginning to piss me off big time!

Take it to UTV FFS.

It's funny but I can hear (see) the reply already. :(:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

UTV don't control the mechanism to provide ADSL to the masses.

We know that but on Martin´s admission the problem was one of UTV's providers. It is up to UTV to ensure that we get what we are paying for - its no good blaming the provider its UTV´s responsibility to ensure that we get what we are paying for. They have not been doing that.

It amazes me that people are so docile about a product they are paying almost 50 euros a month for. And if you are happy for someone that you are paying that amount to to ignore a problem for months that is your privilege. But if it was not for people like me constantly moaning the problem would never have been fixed it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

But if it was not for people like me constantly moaning the problem would never have been fixed it would seem.

I have no problem with people moaning. But do you think that there might be the remotist possibility that there is a game being played here? I think Martin & UTV have learn't a few big lessons. Don't trust your provider being the biggest. I genuinely believe that UTV try their best even though sometimes that doesn't satisfy us all. They are working in a totally false economic environment here in the south and they are transparent in their shortcomings. That wins my award anyway.

I have no problem with people moaning. But do you think that there might be the remotist possibility that there is a game being played here?

I honestly do not understand what you mean by this?
    I think Martin & UTV have learn't a few big lessons.

As far as I can see there is no indication of this so far and that is why I have been asking the questions that you seem to object to.

What is to stop this happening again if it could happen so easily this time and go on for so long?

Don't trust your provider being the biggest.

I am assuming that in this case the provider was not Eircom as UTV have stated previously that there are further provider(s) (Martin refers to 'one of our upstream providers') between themselves and Ëircom. And again I have asked what service level agreements are in place to ensure an 'acceptable' level of service is received by our goodselves. It seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable question to ask particularly in the light of this current 'experience'

At the moment when we purchase Clicksilver we are effectively buying a pig in a poke as we are not given any service level commitments or even aspirations! I know ISP´s will be reluctant to do this but how is the product ever going to improve if we are not demanding as customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

I honestly do not understand what you mean by this?

I think he's talking about eircom?

Looking forward for utv responce to dub45's questions....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

As a person in the process of deciding what provider to choose and be tied to them for 12 months I certainly appreciate hearing dub45's views and questions, also Martin-UTVi's, knowledge is power, and contrary to belief consumer's have power .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

It is extremely frustrating that you continue to avoid answering very pertinent questions and I for one am still far from satisfied with these terse responses.
    I'm not avoiding anything here, just concentrating on the problem.
    Will it take UTV as long again to deal with a problem that is not affecting 'all of our customers´? Is that the only type of problem that UTV take seriously?
    Hopefully not. But in situations where parts of our "network" are outside our control and maintained by a 3rd party we do have to rely/trust them in maintaining it. It should come as no surprise that we at UTV Internet are very protective over the level of control we have in our service, and would prefer not to outsource anything like this. But unfortunately the current copper line and DSL market forces this on us. Bear in mind that we had taken customers with speed problems and passed them back through Eircom/Esat who had replied telling us it was contention :(
    I asked you above what arrangements are in place to ensure a quality product in future and you have avoided this question.
    We do have SLA's in place with our major providers. Unfortunately with DSL Eircom/Esat will only guarantee the contended figures that are listed, so in this case an SLA is useless. Obviously though we are still speaking with our provider on this issue.
    Can I also ask you how much control UTV actually have over the product they are supplying to us? If something like this can be left in place for ages then obviouly not a lot.
    We'd love to control the line right to your door ;) Bascially we control the equipment terminating the DSL tunnel and all the IP infrastructure beyond this.
    Again I refer to a question I raised ages ago in the support group and of course got no answer to and that is what service level agreements (if any!) are in place between UTV and their providers? if there were any effective ones in place surely this would not have happened?
    In most cases SLA's are not worth the paper they are printed on. We have had problems with suppliers in the past who have had us on 100% SLA's! Also you have to realise that the best SLA we will get on a 512kbit DSL service contended at 48:1 will be the lowest contended connection speed - cold comfort to anyone out there with speed problems
    I also asked will you be arranging for a refund to those of us who have not been receiving the product we have been continuously paying for and again you avoided the question.
    We have not looked into this yet - obviously our focus has been on rectifying the problem.

Martin.

Martin,

Thank you for replying to my questions but as a non technical person there is some of it I simply do not understand.

To try and put a picture on the present situation for myself this is the situation as it appears to me;

UTV were appallingly slow to respond to a situation that they have been made aware of for some months now. to refer to recent speed problems as you did in one of your posts is simply disingenuous.

Complaints both in the support group and here were sometimes ignored completely and (in my opinion anyways) for unacceptably long periods of time.

A lot of the Clicksilver product as it stands is outside of UTV´s control and therefore no level of service can be guaranteed.

Because of the above, diagnosis of problems which may arise is a hit and miss affair dependent as it is on non-UTV people being on the ball.

We literally do not know what we will be getting for our 47.5 euros a month either in terms of speed or service from UTV if and when problems arise. If it takes a week at least to get any sort of response to a very long and irate thread in the support group what does that bode for the future?

We do not know how long in the future it will take UTV to determine what might be affecting levels of service ( I am basing this on your ´hopefully not' comment
    Bascially we control the equipment terminating the DSL tunnel and all the IP infrastructure beyond this.

In layman's terms could you explain this for me?

Also you have to realise that the best SLA we will get on a 512kbit DSL service contended at 48:1 will be the lowest contended connection speed - cold comfort to anyone out there with speed problems

What speed is this actually? and how does it compare to some of the very slow speeds that were being complained about in the support group?

Have you any way of objectively dealing with the contention issue when it is raised by your providers?

In summary and in the light of experience it seems to me that there is actually very little advantage in being with Clicksilver at the moment.

Previously UTV had endeared themselves to a lot of people with the competitive advantage of good and efficient service and good pricing.

Good pricing is of little advantage to the customer if the product is poor and they have to scream and roar to get it addressed.

The response and service has recently taken a hammering for various reasons and the amount of the Clicksilver product that is out of your control does not bode well for the future so what do you say to someone now to convince them that it is worthwhile being with UTV?

Advertisement