Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaussian Elimination HELP!!!!

Options
  • 20-10-2003 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I need help with the following gaussian Elimination:

a + 3b - 2c + 3d = 2
    4a + 12b -8c +14d = 6
    -2a -6b + 4c +d = -11
    3a + 9b - 6c + 5d = 10

I cant seem to get it to work out....would really appreciate any help on this.

:confused:

thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Drop to pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Kold..less of your f+%king sarcasim please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

first off i didn't think this was on the leaving cert, so your un likely to get an answer here. Secoundly i went through it myself and its difinitly fudged as far as i can see. Remember to every linear equation there are 1) No solutions: 2) a single uniquesolution or 3) infinite solutions.

this seems to have no solutions as when you do row reduction you get some very contradictory answers. Less you what, i'll look at it more deaply and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks boston....

I am actually stufying for a diploma in Information Technology (1st year)

This question is on the sample paper, but i couldnt get it to work out, i kept getting all zero's on the top line ????

DOH !!! Studying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by MR DAZ
    Thanks boston....

I am actually stufying for a diploma in Information Technology (1st year)

This question is on the sample paper, but i couldnt get it to work out, i kept getting all zero's on the top line ????

it that case theres probably nothing wrong with the question just the lecturer trying to show you that sometimes there is no solution, mine did the same thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can only solve the equations if they are not based on each other. If you have N variables then you need N independent equations.

If you rewrite them all as expressions = 12a then you will remove the first variable and have expressions in terms of b,c,d

a +  3b - 2c +  3d =   2
     4a + 12b - 8c + 14d =   6
    -2a -  6b + 4c +   d = -11
     3a +  9b - 6c +  5d =  10

Since all 4 quadratics contain the term n(a + 3b) you can't solve for a or b - as long as c and d are consistant you should end up with an answer in the form of A + mB + const = 0 - ie. a straight line..

eg: a + 3b = e

so now solve these !
    just in case one of them is inconsistant - do it four times and leave out one equation each time - ie solve for c,d,e using any three equations.
      e - 2c +  3d =   2
     4e - 8c + 14d =   6
    -2e + 4c +   d = -11
     3e - 6c +  5d =  10

Advertisement