Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using BitTorrent?

Options
  • 20-10-2003 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

What is the best bittorrent client? ... I've tried a few today and they are crap .... is there one where I dont have to open seperate windows for seperate downloads etc ...

[edit]
    And if anyone knows any good torrent sites could they post 'em? ... Cheers
    [/edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Nice client there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

that is by far the best client ste-
    Bit paranoid about it though as it gives out the ip of all the
    seeders and leechers unlike the other clients
    Anyway as 4 websites, best is [Mod Edit: Warez'n'stuff not allowed here.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I found that torrent site as well today IrishMike .... it is good, shows how many seeds there are for a particular file ... which is nice ... my downloads are slow however ... I wonder is netsource throttling those ports ... kazaa is faster than a torrent with 9 seeds ... and I have changed all setting to maximise download speed, I currently have only one torrent downloading ... my upload is bigger than my download by a factor of 3! and I only have 11Megs downloaded FFS (i.e. i have downloaded 11megs of the file, but others have downloaded ~37megs of that file off of me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i dont think it has anything to do with your connection, im in college with a t1 and the speeds i get vary from 500kbs a second to 1-2kbs a second..
    it depends on the seeders.. i Think.

if you get a good connection torrent is very good.. .got 6 episodes of a tv series in a 2 hours ..over a gig ..
    good for live shows aswell.. full concerts in excellent quality ..depends on where you go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by BigEejit
    kazaa is faster than a torrent with 9 seeds

True, but Kazaa is gone to hell in recent times and you have a better choice of items using BT, like getting latest Linux distros.

In other news, yes its a good idea to look for URL's of sites with copyright material on them in a public place like boards.ie.....
    :p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chad ghostal
    i dont think it has anything to do with your connection, im in college with a t1

Which would mean you could bypass the firewall? What college is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bittorent has some problems when you're not directly connected to the net so if you get you're connection though a network then be ready for a lot of crappy speeds....I find it rubbish for most stuff it never seems to reach my max, 50KB/s id be lucky to get 13KB/s, not really that good.

My connections maintained a 50k/bs on bit torrent but only once. Im usually struggling to get 20k/bs. Just dont have the patience or know-how to tweak it :)

Advertisement